Author Topic: New dwarf planet spotted at the very fringe of our solar system  (Read 625 times)

Offline Zerowantuthri

• Not Enough Spare Time
From the Washington Post article:

A previously unknown dwarf planet circles through the far reaches of our solar system, the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center announced Tuesday. Officially designated 2015 TG387, the small and spherical object is probably a ball of ice. Astronomers first observed the dwarf planet on Oct. 13, 2015, from the Subaru telescope at Hawaii’s Mauna Kea Observatories. Embracing the near-Halloween October spirit — and for want of something pronounceable — its discoverers nicknamed 2015 TG387 “the Goblin.”

The Goblin is “about 300 kilometers in diameter, on the small end of a dwarf planet,” said Scott Sheppard, an astronomer at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington who discovered the object along with colleagues at Northern Arizona University, University of Hawaii and the University of Oklahoma. Dwarf planet Pluto, by comparison, is six times as wide.

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/10/02/new-dwarf-planet-spotted-very-fringe-our-solar-system/?utm_term=.119941587a46

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: New dwarf planet spotted at the very fringe of our solar system
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »
Note: This is not the Planet X that they have been looking for. Also, check out that orbit. Damn.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline UnicornPoop

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:19 PM »
Sean Carrol had a recent podcast interviewing they guy who killed Pluto as a planet and also predicts Planet 9. He goes into great detail about objects in the Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt. I found it highly informative. The planet they're looking for is about 5-10 earth masses (I.e. Neptune sized). Nothing like this little ball of ice recently discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Droppings of pure, glittering, rainbow joy!

Offline bimble

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:26 AM »
it does make me wonder when he said that for 99% of the planet's orbit it couldn't be spotted, how much of the clustering that they are using to infer a "Planet 9" is a case of they just haven't spotted the dwarf planets that would remove the idea of a "cluster"

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Note: This is not the Planet X that they have been looking for. Also, check out that orbit. Damn.

I don't think the orbit is that well characterized yet. They know it's about 120 A.U. away now. But perihelion is as yet undetermined (so far as I know). The orbit will be become better determined with more observations.

While The Goblin isn't the planet 9, it's possible the object's orbit might add to models suggesting where Planet 9 is.

Mike Brown (a.k.a. Pluto Killer) has just spent a few months aiming at the region of the sky some models suggest Planet 9 is at. And now he and his team are sifting through the data. If I were in Vegas I would lay three to 1 odds Brown & team won't find it any time soon. Brown's @plutokiller on Twitter if you want to check on his progress.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »
From the Washington Post article:

A previously unknown dwarf planet circles through the far reaches of our solar system, the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center announced Tuesday. Officially designated 2015 TG387, the small and spherical object is probably a ball of ice. Astronomers first observed the dwarf planet on Oct. 13, 2015, from the Subaru telescope at Hawaii’s Mauna Kea Observatories. Embracing the near-Halloween October spirit — and for want of something pronounceable — its discoverers nicknamed 2015 TG387 “the Goblin.”

The Goblin is “about 300 kilometers in diameter, on the small end of a dwarf planet,” said Scott Sheppard, an astronomer at the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington who discovered the object along with colleagues at Northern Arizona University, University of Hawaii and the University of Oklahoma. Dwarf planet Pluto, by comparison, is six times as wide.

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/10/02/new-dwarf-planet-spotted-very-fringe-our-solar-system/?utm_term=.119941587a46
♫Hi ho, hi hooooo♫
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog

personate-rain
personate-rain