Author Topic: Wifi Mesh Networks  (Read 479 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Wifi Mesh Networks
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
Anyone use a Wifi mesh network at home (Netgear Orbi, Google WiFi, Asus Lyra, etc.)?  I'd appreciate any feedback on pros and cons, etc.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Wifi Mesh Networks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
I have, I am not now.  Be sure to check the specs to make sure that the 'backhaul' channel is seperate from the device channel.  In all liklihood it is, but some of the cheaper options do not.

With regard to the mesh, it's useful if you do not have a house with network wiring.  It helps give you a strong signal in all corners of the house.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »
Eventually I'm just going to wire up another ethernet outlet at one end of the house for another wifi router set up to replicate the primary wifi. That's what I've done for my shed.

Years ago in another house I used a simple plug in wifi extender and it did the job.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:15:40 AM »
I ended up moving my router to a more central location.  It gives better coverage throughout the house, but has created some dead zones outside.  I may end up just getting a cheap repeater with a poweline backhaul specifically for the back yard.  A little less convenient than seamless roaming, but quite a bit less expensive.

I feel spoiled from working with enterprise WiFi at work.  The Aruba system we have is really amazing and powerful.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain