Author Topic: Where is the line on homophobia  (Read 5025 times)

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
Where is the line on homophobia
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:54:15 PM »
A coworker today stated he wouldn't listen to a band he thought of as being gay (having one or more homosexual members), would not sleep in the same house as a gay man (even by himself in a locked room) and that homosexuality was just wrong. He then claimed he's not homophobic because his uncle is gay and he knows 2 lesbians also he doesn't beatup homosexuals in the street.

I simply didn't know what to say to that.

Posted from my stylo 4 so typos will happen.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:56:23 PM by lucek »
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Where is the line on homophobia
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:13:35 AM »
I consider the line anywhere beyond the acceptance of homosexuality and homosexual people.

Your coworker iw definitely a raging homophobe. The "I have gay friends" excuse just confirms this.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »
I would say it's at calling it "just wrong". It might be a phobia still, but you should be free to decide who to live with, while it's not your business to declare that what other people do with consent is wrong. That's where you using your phobia to interfere in their freedoms start.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »
Homophobia is about the feelings, not the discrimination.

If you are expressing to the world that you will technically abide by the rights of a group but that you dont like them, that is contributing to an atmosphere of otherness and discomfort for that group.
If you have any of those feelings about gay people then you are homophobic. End of story. The line is way further back than this guy even began but discrimination and active denial of rights are another separate issue that of course would warrant action.
But legal and within your rights is not the same as acceptable or non problematic.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
I consider the line anywhere beyond the acceptance of homosexuality and homosexual people.

Your coworker iw definitely a raging homophobe. The "I have gay friends" excuse just confirms this.

he didn't even say "friends"
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:24:16 AM »
That guy is a homophobe for sure, and I don't like that.

That made me think of something.  Can a homophobe like that just change his mind?  People's beliefs are a culmination of their lives so far, and as far as I know, it's pretty hard to change a belief by just choosing to believe something else.  What line would he have to cross to realize that his belief is wrong?

This is yet another reason I value a skeptical approach to life.  Having the humility to know our beliefs can be wrong is a very significant step to being able to change them if we come across a good reason.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »
I would say it's at calling it "just wrong". It might be a phobia still, but you should be free to decide who to live with, while it's not your business to declare that what other people do with consent is wrong. That's where you using your phobia to interfere in their freedoms start.

The word "homophobia" does not strictly speaking refer to a phobia as such, despite its etymology. It's not a fear of homosexual people. Homophobia is defined as discrimination against homosexual people. The word is one of those that has had usage progress past the source meanings of its linguistic components.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 10:27:54 AM »

The word "homophobia" does not strictly speaking refer to a phobia as such, despite its etymology. It's not a fear of homosexual people. Homophobia is defined as discrimination against homosexual people. The word is one of those that has had usage progress past the source meanings of its linguistic components.

Discrimination is not the definition of homophobia, it’s a manifestation or a result.

Phobia is a perfectly accurate suffix for anti-gay sentiment. There are many aspects of fear (fear your children or family will become gay; fear that yourself will become gay; fear that some god will be displeased). 

Those fears are exploited to stir up anti gay sentiments not just here but especially in places like Uganda an some Middle East countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline morgantj

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
 Where does the line to any phobia start? It starts with the fear being irrational to begin with doesn't it?
VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
the line is exactly where your feet end.  there's no level of acceptable homophobia or any prejudice.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 02:42:00 PM »
As long as you don't know do anything about it and don't talk to me about it, I don't give a shit how homophobic you are.  Stay at home and yell profanities at your TV for all I care.  Don't call people names, attack them, or pass laws that criminalize behavior that doesn't harm anyone and I don't care what you think.  I wouldn't hang out with you except at work and if I knew you were a homophobe at work, you'd likely get fired. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:35:03 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The guy won't sleep in the same house as a gay man??? What, does he think it's a contagious disease? Does he think the gay man is going to kick down his door and rape him?

I think Carb Shark makes a good point: Anti-gay bigots do seem to be terrified of gayness, as expressed by the man in question who wouldn't sleep in the same house as a gay man.

A person who finds the idea of gay sex distasteful is not necessarily a homophobe. But a person who would treat a gay person any differently than a straight person is definitely a homophobe. And a person who would deny rights to someone based on their gender or sexual identity or preference is a raging bigot.

The OP's coworker is a raging bigot.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »
The guy won't sleep in the same house as a gay man??? What, does he think it's a contagious disease? Does he think the gay man is going to kick down his door and rape him?

Send him something gay as an anonymous gift?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 07:42:15 AM »
As long as you don't know do anything about it and don't talk to me about it, I don't give a shit how homophobic you are.  Stay at home and yell profanities at your TV for all I care.  Don't call people names, attack them, or pass laws that criminalize behavior that doesn't harm anyone and I don't care what you think.  I wouldn't hang out with you except at work and if I knew you were a homophobe at work, you'd likely get fired.
This pretty much sums up my stance.
Once they let it out in the world, they need to be told in no uncertain terms that it isnt ok. But other than that, let them stew in their hate and know that no one wants them or their ideas.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 11:17:56 PM »
I'd laugh in somebody's face if they came at me with some nonsense like that.

"Are you so insecure about your sexuality that you think another man is going to turn you gay, just by sleeping under the same roof?"

It's ridiculous. 

personate-rain