Author Topic: Where is the line on homophobia  (Read 5024 times)

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
Re: Where is the line on homophobia
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »
I grew up in an environment where homosexuality wasn't really a topic of discussion. I didn't even know people of same gender could be attracted to each other or build a life together. People with "effeminate" tendencies were openly made fun of. I am sure I also behaved in a way that didn't make LGBT people feel welcome in my youth. I would definitely understand if anyone saw me then, they would have thought of me as a homophobe.

I think it took lessons in genetics, biology, social science and history to finally inoculate me against this type of bigotry. It didn't happen right away, but it was gradual. At some point, I just realized homophobia is pretty much the same as racism, islamophobia or any prejudice society feels towards the "other".

The level of ignorance and arrogance of my past behavior continue to shock me to this day.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Where is the line on homophobia
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Growing up in Australia in the 70s, it was completely normal to call someone a "poofter". Anyone who looked or behaved even a little bit dodgy could be called a poof. I'm glad we've moved on from that.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?