Author Topic: Where is the line on homophobia  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
Re: Where is the line on homophobia
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
I'd laugh in somebody's face if they came at me with some nonsense like that.

"Are you so insecure about your sexuality that you think another man is going to turn you gay, just by sleeping under the same roof?"

It's ridiculous.
To paraphrase Joe Rogan "they secretly think dick tastes yummy".  The only thing stopping them from full on bukkake show crap is by convincing themselves that it's scary and evil...otherwise, on their knees in a circle of dudes they go.  Which, for the record, I wish they'd just get it over with.  As long as it's all consensual I don't really care if people pull that kind of thing.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »

"Are you so insecure about your sexuality that you think another man is going to turn you gay, just by sleeping under the same roof?"

It's ridiculous.

Oh didn't you hear?

In the end, insulting someone is proof of one’s own ignorance. It is a sign that the insulting party has nothing constructive to add and has run out of ideas. Anytime a person insults someone instead of responding to the argument itself, they lose the debate by default. They have given up the moral high ground and will no doubt be disregarded in the future.

Why would you lose the debate by default like that?

It's ridiculous.
To paraphrase Joe Rogan "they secretly think dick tastes yummy".  The only thing stopping them from full on bukkake show crap is by convincing themselves that it's scary and evil...otherwise, on their knees in a circle of dudes they go.  Which, for the record, I wish they'd just get it over with.  As long as it's all consensual I don't really care if people pull that kind of thing.

Kindly fuck off with the "homophones are secretly gay" bullshit. It's just an excuse to call people gay as an insult, and it doesn't convince anybody.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

Kindly fuck off with the "homophones are secretly gay" bullshit. It's just an excuse to call people gay as an insult, and it doesn't convince anybody.

Nah, I think I'll skip fucking off and say whatever the fuck I want :p

Edit, also, I don't think homophones are gay.  I think they are confusing and one of the problems with the English language in general.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:38 AM »

Edit, also, I don't think homophones are gay.  I think they are confusing and one of the problems with the English language in general.

Thank you straight white man for telling everyone else that perpetuating a negative stereotype about gay men is okay.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »

Thank you straight white man for telling everyone else that perpetuating a negative stereotype about gay men is okay.
If that was what I was saying, I'd say you're welcome, but since it isn't, I'll say fuck off.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:05 AM »
Moderator Comment That is quite enough for now

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
As a straight man, I am uncomfortable with using the "homophobes are all self loathing gay people/won't come out of the closet" retort, even if it rings true. It's hard to make that retort not seem like an insult. "I'm a fag? Oh yeah, you're a bigger fag!"

I don't necessarily want to participate in a lot of stuff that's viewed as gay culture. But I don't want to participate in a lot of stuff that's viewed as straight culture. Certain TV shows or movies marketed to gay culture don't interest me either. I don't think that makes me a homophobe. I have no problem with gay people. I don't fear them. They don't make me uncomfortable.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:17 PM »
As a straight man, I am uncomfortable with using the "homophobes are all self loathing gay people/won't come out of the closet" retort, even if it rings true. It's hard to make that retort not seem like an insult. "I'm a fag? Oh yeah, you're a bigger fag!"

Allow me to add my straight voice in agreement. If we don't call out this kind of toxic culture we perpetuate it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 04:50:34 AM »

It's ridiculous.

Oh didn't you hear?

In the end, insulting someone is proof of one’s own ignorance. It is a sign that the insulting party has nothing constructive to add and has run out of ideas. Anytime a person insults someone instead of responding to the argument itself, they lose the debate by default. They have given up the moral high ground and will no doubt be disregarded in the future.

Why would you lose the debate by default like that?

No, I'd just laugh at their ignorance. If they tried to discuss it, I would tell them precisely why it's wrong. I certainly wouldn't just start hurling insults because that only makes me look bad.

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 11:08:08 AM »

LOL - I liked this.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
As a straight man, I am uncomfortable with using the "homophobes are all self loathing gay people/won't come out of the closet" retort, even if it rings true.

Some of them are and, since sexuality is not binary, I think you can be certain that many are indeed struggling with their own personal sexuality issues, and more extreme homophobia is often more a reaction to those internal conflicts than anything having to do with gays or their behavior.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »

I think all homophones should be eradicated.

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »

I think all homophones should be eradicated.

This is two commonly herd in our grate country. I wish people just get out and meat a homophone or too and yew wood learn there not sew different after awl.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
No idea how many times people had to point this out to me before it finally clicked and I started to look at things a bit differently but people stuck with me so Im going to keep trying:

1- Making light of homophobia isnt a great way to make non straight people feel like we take them and their issues seriously. It goes for all groups that could be discriminated against really, but while it does feel great to elicit a chuckle, maybe consider not sending out that vibe?

2- We get told regularly that the homophobe=prolly gay trope is not helpful and is offensive by the very people we are ostensibly allying with and supporting.
Even IF you could produce reliable stats on this (and no, that one study where they measured the 'arousal level' of homophobes doesnt count), non straight people are telling us its not helpful and is hurtful.
Maybe just stop doing it? Maybe just stop trying to have the last word with "Well its often true".
Lots of things are 'often true'. Im sure our resident notanazi could point out many. Its not factual and its not helpful and we are being asked not to throw it out there.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
No idea how many times people had to point this out to me before it finally clicked and I started to look at things a bit differently but people stuck with me so Im going to keep trying:

1- Making light of homophobia isnt a great way to make non straight people feel like we take them and their issues seriously. It goes for all groups that could be discriminated against really, but while it does feel great to elicit a chuckle, maybe consider not sending out that vibe?

(click to show/hide)
I have a broader question regarding your first point.  There is potential value in ridiculing bad ideas though(in this case, making light of homophobia.)  Ridicule could serve to marginalize such ideas. 

personate-rain