Author Topic: Parenting may not matter much, and much of social science is probably wrong  (Read 395 times)

Offline Skepilot

• Off to a Start
I would love to hear Dr. Novella’s take on this. I did a search of this forum, the SGU podcast archives, SBM and Neurological, but it doesn’t appear that Steve has discussed or written about this.

https://quillette.com/2015/12/01/why-parenting-may-not-matter-and-why-most-social-science-research-is-probably-wrong/

Yes, it’s just one article, but I’ve seen the same general conclusion from several sources, and the author includes multiple supporting citations. I feel like much of parenting is just teaching. Do these findings in any way undermine our attempts as parents to teach skepticism and critical thinking to our children? What is considering “parenting” anyway, as distinct from “teaching?”
@skepilot | Skeptical Pilot

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
We can hope he will write about it. But as they are in, or soon will be anyways, in the UK, I doubt he will have the time to blog much for the coming weeks.

Offline Skepilot

• Off to a Start
Maybe he can discuss it on the show. Would also like to hear from anyone here who might have expertise on the subject.
@skepilot | Skeptical Pilot

personate-rain