Author Topic: Starting Over At Episode #1  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
Starting Over At Episode #1
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
This morning I decided to re-listen to Episode #1 while getting ready for work. I enjoyed hearing the guys try to find their comfort zone, and of course hearing Perry. They’ve always dogged the media’s way of covering science-related topics, but I had forgotten how vocal they were of not only the mass media but of the public school system in the early episodes. About halfway through #1 I decided to skip ahead to #13 to hear their take on 9/11 conspiracies again, that one’s a classic in my book. I must admit, that episode had a big influence on my (relatively recent) return to reality after spending almost a decade in Truther-land. They also covered the basics of the Dover trial in #14. It’s really cool to hear the older shows and re-live the news that was happening at the time, or in my case, hear old news for the first time. I started from the beginning in early 2016 and am just about to hit #232 Jan 1, 2010. I just wanted to hear the first handful of shows again today for whatever reason. Does anybody else go back and listen to older episodes for fun?
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Starting Over At Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
I have a hard enough time keeping up with the current episodes, LOL! I'm always two or three weeks behind! What annoys me is that I can't remember what episode I stated with or when. I know it was after Perry passed and Rebecca joined. So somewhere around.....2006, 2007 maybe? I can't even remember how I discovered the SGU! 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
I don't remember when I started listening, either. Maybe in the #200s.

For new podcasts, I used to go backwards in batches, to avoid a jarring transition but also have some continuity. E.g. go from episodes 161-170 to 151-160, or larger batches. So I knew about Perry, but with each episode where he was sick I was wondering if that was it.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »
I have a hard enough time keeping up with the current episodes, LOL! I'm always two or three weeks behind! What annoys me is that I can't remember what episode I stated with or when. I know it was after Perry passed and Rebecca joined. So somewhere around.....2006, 2007 maybe? I can't even remember how I discovered the SGU!

Perry passed in 2007, after Rebecca joined. If it helps you to sort out the chronology. :)

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »
I posted this in another thread, but speaking of older episodes, I used the Contact form on the main SGU site yesterday to ask if the 5x5 links are going to be restored. I received a reply within minutes stating that 5x5 is on the to-do list and they thanked me for reminding them. So hopefully I'll get to re-listen to those soon as well! Talk about time-travel, I went through all of 5x5 a cpl years ago while still in the sub-100 episodes, as well as listening to the new shows each week. There were days when I would hear Perry, Rebecca and Cara all before my lunch break.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:33:53 PM »
For one horrible moment I thought this was going to be news from George Lucas.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
I started listening while Perry was around and before Rebecca. I've restarted twice and enjoyed hearing them again. But frankly, I think I am losing interest. I have 15 podcasts backed up with little motivation to get through them. I always skip the live shows too. Maybe some things to come to an end. Maybe it feels repetitive or scripted now (if it is or not.)

However, I hope they continue. It's done a lot for the community and with new people joining every day, it's a good thing!

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 11:09:10 AM »
I think I started listening about a year or so before Rebecca left. So while listening to new episodes I also listened to episodes starting at #1
Last year I completed all of them and have started back again from the beginning.  The amount of info on the show is considerable so it is interesting that re-listening is still informative for me.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:24 PM »
I started listening at the first episode A.P.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »

Do you mean at the time or did you choose to go back long after and start there?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »

Do you mean at the time or did you choose to go back long after and start there?

At the time. It just happened to be the time I first owned a device capable of playing podcasts.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
Hey, what are you folk doing to archive-dive? My podcatcher (PocketCasts) only goes back to...

Oh. To the beginning of the ad free episodes because I'm a sponsor. Got it. Subscribing to the primary feed too...

Yeah, that's it. Starting Ep1 in 10, 9, 8...
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:07:56 PM »
I basically did this with the premium content. But, I mean, that like 1000+ hours of content?

Offline Chupper

• Brand New
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
It's weird listening back to those old episodes when the rogues mention global warming and they're not yet sure if it's a real thing

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
It's weird listening back to those old episodes when the rogues mention global warming and they're not yet sure if it's a real thing

I wonder how much of that was Perry's influence vs. how the rest felt about it. Steve at one point talks about the potential consequences of climate change, hedging it with something like "whatever you think is causing it".

personate-rain