Author Topic: Starting Over At Episode #1  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Starting Over At Episode #1
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
It's weird listening back to those old episodes when the rogues mention global warming and they're not yet sure if it's a real thing

I wonder how much of that was Perry's influence vs. how the rest felt about it. Steve at one point talks about the potential consequences of climate change, hedging it with something like "whatever you think is causing it".

You can also listen to the lecture from 2007 that Steve held for the NYC Skeptics. He contrasts global warming to creationism, saying that the former is closer to the middle. I suppose it is close to the middle than freakin creationism, but really, was human-caused globaly warming not more strongly established than that back then?

The lecture itself is overall very good. I occasionally re-listen to it for the inspiration it gives.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
In episode 98 it's pretty clear Perry is the one who stands apart on the issue.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
I'm still in the teens. Just encountered the first "not sure" about AGW. It stood out.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
I'm skipping most of the interviews, because of the sound quality, and because they're not really that interesting, maybe less relevant with time.

And having heard the pseudoscientist interviews once is enough.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 11:03:32 AM »
I'm glossing over them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
I'm skipping most of the interviews, because of the sound quality, and because they're not really that interesting, maybe less relevant with time.

And having heard the pseudoscientist interviews once is enough.

The first time I heard the Massimo interview from episode #3, I had to skip it. I remember being very bored and very confused. The other week that episode found its way to my queue and I again had to skip it. With the exceptions of Phil Plait and Brian Dunning, I usually can't get through an interview that last more than 15 mins. A handful of the older interviews will still pull me in, like the Bill Bennetta interview from 2006, or Neal Adams pushing the expanding earth theory. Those were more entertaining than informative, however.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:42:20 PM by Beef Wellington »
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »
Try listening to Massimo's podcast. It's very heavily-accented and dry.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 05:12:31 AM »
At some point I need to watch The Big Bang Theory to understand the comments made by several of the SGU guests.

I've had no interest in it because it seems to be about everyone being a stereotypical, one-dimensional geek. And I don't get why they're praising it as something that promotes science and interest in technology, but also something that's anti-feminist because it's only the female characters who are unlike real people.

Incidentally, I'm listening to more of the interviews further through the feed. But a poor phone connection/microphone still make some easy to skip.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:44:42 AM by 2397 »

Online xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
It's weird listening back to those old episodes when the rogues mention global warming and they're not yet sure if it's a real thing

For those that are starting from the beginning let me know what Steve's views were on GW. I seem to remember that he was Ehh we will just engineer our way out of it when the time comes. I think he has changed his views on the subject now.
Never mind I think that was on the oil supply running out.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:43 AM »
Up to episode 180, 28 minutes, summarizing the year. Bob talks about George W. Bush on his way out of office and how his administration has had probably the worst relationship with science in decades. Steve talks about how he created a backlash and how it's taught us the value of unbiased science advising to the political process.

Maybe that's a lesson we're going to have to relearn and relearn every now and then, but I think a generation now appreciates why we need to have untainted science advising in the political process, more than any time previously

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
I'm just up to #12. I was cringing at their uncertainty around climate change - and several other topics - during the long discussion with Steve Milloy. I guess they've developed their skeptical chops a bit with 13 years of practice. :)

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
Up to episode 290, first episode with an auctioned off guest rogue spot.

Still skipping some of the live shows purely because of the audio quality. 208 was good, then 216 was pretty bad. It varies from place to place and time to time, they don't get to a point of no longer having problems with the live show recordings.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:37:00 AM by 2397 »

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
So when they lost their cheap hosting they started having ads, but only for one company a few times per year. Does that mean they get 50-150 times as much money from ads now, or were they paid much more for each of those early ads?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:40:55 PM by 2397 »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:55 PM »
Are they obligated to disclose their financial operations to anyone who asks?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 06:53:53 PM »
Of course. I only ask questions I know will be answered.

personate-rain
personate-rain