Author Topic: Starting Over At Episode #1  (Read 2834 times)

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Starting Over At Episode #1
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »
Episode 394, closing up science or fiction, Steve says to bell the cat to prevent it killing (if it's let outside). In case that wasn't corrected later, it doesn't necessarily work, and it negatively impacts the cat.

https://animals.onehowto.com/article/why-you-should-not-put-a-bell-on-your-cat-562.html

I notice some people saying you have to keep switching the bell because the cat gets used to it, but why would do that to your cat? I.e. annoying them as much as possible, on top of harming their long term health. You can keep the cat inside all the time to circumvent the issue, but either way you should probably play more with your cat if the only other way to stop it from doing something you don't want is to harass it.

Steve does mention (as per the source) that feral and stray cats kill several times more wildlife, so it seems unnecessary to focus so much on what kept cats do. It's far more important to have your cats fixed, in addition to not abandoning them, so that they can't add to or become part of the more problematic cat populations.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:20:45 AM by 2397 »

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
For a 3rd time I started at number 1. I keep forgetting how good those early podcasts were.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:35:21 PM by Awatsjr »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
417; start of ads every episode. The one thing I like about them is Rebecca's "Can you believe this shit?" attitude.

Further down the line as the rogues get more into doing the ads, I'm reminded of what they say about how the media handle pseudoscience as fluff pieces, where they don't investigate properly and don't seem to think that what they say matters. The rogues are selling us chocolate and flowers, and use sexist stereotypes such as having to second-guess your wife and buy her flowers even if she says she doesn't want them.

445; after science or fiction they talk about electric vehicles as if EVs don't give that much of a benefit, because some electricity is made with fossil fuels. IIRC they bring this up again in a future episode, and focus more on how even the worst case scenario of burning coal to charge EVs is marginally better than ICEVs.

475; interview with some sort of iPhone expert/fan, talking about whether Apple slows down their devices, and he doesn't think that they do. We now know for a fact that they did deliberately slow down iPhones, excusing it with compensating for the battery aging.

The audio quality has been mostly good for a long time, sometimes one rogue would have a bad setup. As did some interviewees. But with their second trip to Australia and related tour, I've skipped several episodes in a row over the audio quality. 494, almost back to normal, seemed okay at first, but Bob not so much. 495 was another live show skipped as soon as the audience was introduced.

496 is ok. First Cara episode 497 is good. 501 is a better quality live show.

Having listened back through most of Rebecca's episodes, I've found/rediscovered that I align more with her than the other rogues, and I'm glad she was on the show for as long as she was. But what's really good about the SGU is the group dynamic, and one of them leaving isn't going to ruin the show.

In 501 they're going easy on Brian Williams about his false recollections, giving him the benefit of the doubt for making off the cuff remarks, etc. In a later episode they'll join in on the hype against Tim Hunt for his off the cuff remark that lost him his job.

What they don't comment on later (on the podcast) is why they stopped having certain people on.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:07:51 PM by 2397 »

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:57 PM »

Further down the line as the rogues get more into doing the ads, I'm reminded of what they say about how the media handle pseudoscience as fluff pieces, where they don't investigate properly and don't seem to think that what they say matters. The rogues are selling us chocolate and flowers, and use sexist stereotypes such as having to second-guess your wife and buy her flowers even if she says she doesn't want them.

What they don't comment on later (on the podcast) is why they stopped having certain people on.

That reminds me, and I know there are dedicated Brian Dunning threads here, that I've also been re-listening to the older Skeptoid episodes lately. Yesterday I heard ep. 17, "Internet Paranoia," in which Brian says the following about browser cookies-

"Sometimes all they do is install fake cookies on your computer to tell Amazon that some guy in Indonesia is entitled to a sales commission next time you buy something."

That was in 2006, 2 years before his 2008 wire-fraud debacle. He’s been on SGU since, of course, but he’s never really owned up to any wrongdoing. It seems a guest has to really do something wrong to not be asked back. I don’t imagine Shermer or Krauss will be on again, but if that's the case, it would be nice to hear them tell us why.
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 04:15:22 PM »
That reminds me, and I know there are dedicated Brian Dunning threads here, that I've also been re-listening to the older Skeptoid episodes lately. Yesterday I heard ep. 17, "Internet Paranoia," in which Brian says the following about browser cookies-

"Sometimes all they do is install fake cookies on your computer to tell Amazon that some guy in Indonesia is entitled to a sales commission next time you buy something."

That was in 2006, 2 years before his 2008 wire-fraud debacle. He’s been on SGU since, of course, but he’s never really owned up to any wrongdoing. It seems a guest has to really do something wrong to not be asked back. I don’t imagine Shermer or Krauss will be on again, but if that's the case, it would be nice to hear them tell us why.

Wow. Just wow. At least he knew well of what he spoke.

I'm going to relisten to that one.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
I just got an email from the Skeptoid mailing list saying he's doing a reading near me next month. I just might have to go and ask a few questions!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
Do it. He's always said that he'd be open to talking about the situation with people. Just don't take over the whole Q&A session.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
Do it. He's always said that he'd be open to talking about the situation with people. Just don't take over the whole Q&A session.

I'm not the best at speaking publicly, even if it's just a Q&A, so I'd probably just offer to buy him a beer after the event. I've already given him $20 for the Premium episodes on the Skeptoid USB drive, what's another $5 for a pint?

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 11:52:37 PM »
I just got an email from the Skeptoid mailing list saying he's doing a reading near me next month. I just might have to go and ask a few questions!
Where? What’s the zip code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2018, 01:12:11 AM »

Looks to be the last stop but there could be more later I suppose-

https://skeptoid.com/appearances.php

Offline st3class

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2018, 02:19:31 AM »

Huh, I didn't realize he had relocated to Bend. Right near me apparently.
It's always more complicated than that.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »

He used to be near me in Southern California, I didn't realize he'd relocated either.

If you go, enjoy!

Offline st3class

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »

He used to be near me in Southern California, I didn't realize he'd relocated either.

If you go, enjoy!

I should qualify my "right near me". Bend is still a 3.5 hr drive. But it looks like he comes to Portland a lot. I may have to keep my eye out.
It's always more complicated than that.

Online Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
My vacation plans have been changed, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to attend! I'm more excited for this than I thought I'd be.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 11:15:30 PM »
I've recently considered going back and listening from the first episode as well. Honestly, I don't want to, however, admire Perry only to ultimately miss him again.
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]