8 (26.7%)
No, mildly not.
3 (10%)
No, strongly not.
5 (16.7%)
Other.
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Are you an antitheist?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Are you an antitheist?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
The problem is that I think that most "mind-capturing ideologies" are religions, and even more, the most dangerous ones.

Religions, political affiliations, and other kinds of cults.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
I still find it interesting that avowed atheists believe so much in the "power of God" to direct people's lives.
Eh?

I echo Noisy's "Eh?"

As an atheist I certainly do not believe in the "power of God" to do anything, since there is no god. I do think that religious belief affects people's lives in very negative ways. From the subtle (the weakening of their ability to think critically or skeptically) to the overt (intolerance towards people who do not conform to some specific religious "moral" code that has nothing to do with any objective morality.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
The problem is that I think that most "mind-capturing ideologies" are religions, and even more, the most dangerous ones.
Like philosophy.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
I voted other, I'm relatively indifferent towards religions until the religious start trying to advance bad policy on account of religion.  I am anti-theist in the sense that I'd be very disappointed in my children if they became religious. 

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »

Religions, political affiliations, and other kinds of cults.

I wrote "Most" not "All"
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »
I assert that half of all preventable suffering is due to religion. I acknowledge that religion is not the only evil in the world. But religion collectively is probably the single greatest cause of suffering.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
Strong atheist here. But I understand the emotional pull of belief in A God. I think it would be wonderful if there truly were an all-benevolent entity with a plan for us. I would love to think I would see my parents (and pets!) again after I die. But there's no proof of any of it!  I don't consider believing in something just because it makes you feel good or special to be rational. And while I fall far short of always succeeding, I strive to lead a rational life. 

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
I follow the commandment that goes "Love the stupid, hate the stupider."
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »
I still find it interesting that avowed atheists believe so much in the "power of God" to direct people's lives.
Eh?

Atheists seem to need to single out "religion" as somehow different from other mind-altering ideologies for special fear and loathing. If there is no God, then this only a type of "mind game" for people who ascribe to the ideology. In that sense, it is no different from any other unquestioned ideology.

My point is that atheists who place "religious people" into some special category are making a "category error." There are as many exceptions as there are people "in your ascribed box."

My longstanding example is the comparison of a male Baptist from Alabama to a female Episcopalian from Massachusetts. Both might describe themselves as "religious," or even "very religious", indeed "Christian" in particular (I know one such female Episcopalian minister from Massachusetts). Yet it would be difficult to find ONE religious, social, political or scientific concept in current debate upon which the two would clearly agree with one another.

But only the Baptist from Alabama would typically be destined in the media, or by many atheist writers, as "Christian/religious." That's a "category error."
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »
FWIW, my quarrel is not against religious people. It is against religion as a concept. Religion damages people. It damages the people who believe in it, and it damages the people who live in countries where religion influences the laws or the societal norms. Just as atheism does not prevent a person from being good, so also belief in religion does not prevent a person from being good. But religion itself is damaging. I don't know how we could eliminate it, and we probably can't. But if we could it would be a good thing.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »
I am not an anti-theist. I am an atheist in that I do not have a belief in any god, and an agnostic in that I do not think it is possible to know for certain that no god exists. I want church and state utterly separated, but beyond that I don't care what people choose to believe.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
Atheists seem to need to single out "religion" as somehow different from other mind-altering ideologies for special fear and loathing. If there is no God, then this only a type of "mind game" for people who ascribe to the ideology. In that sense, it is no different from any other unquestioned ideology.
Oh, just bullshit then. Got it. Thanks.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »
Atheists seem to need to ...

Yeah, just another hasty generalization.

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
In my experience the anti-theist position overlaps far too much with racists and Islamaphobes, so I steer clear of it. At its least noxious it seems to attract a lot of edgelordy YouTubers, so that's not in my sphere of interests either.

(In before intellectually dishonest arguments about me not caring about human rights!)

To be honest, New Atheism inspired me to think about my feelings about religion and religiosity, but its legacy and proponents have left me mostly ashamed to say "I'm an atheist" in public, for fear of being associated with those folks. I usually just say I'm not a believer, or that I'm not a person of faith and leave it at that now. Also, I now find myself far more interested in spending time with religious or spiritual people who are kind and have empathy, than loudly proclaimed atheists who angrily recite Richard Dawkins talking points at every opportunity. For the most part, though, my world involves people who by and large aren't religious. And we never feel the need to discuss it.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »
Most of my friends are atheists who are also very kind and have empathy. There's never been any dearth of empathy among the atheists I've personally known.

All those YouTube ranters are just playing the system for "Likes" and AdSense dollars, because some audiences apparently get off on having their outrage buttons pushed.

I propose we resurrect the term "freethinker" to describe somebody who disdains the encumbrance of religions and other dogmatic ideologies. Always thought that one had a good ring to it, and it encompasses not only atheism but general skepticism and personal ethics as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:06:52 PM by John Albert »

personate-rain