8 (26.7%)
No, mildly not.
3 (10%)
No, strongly not.
5 (16.7%)
Other.
5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Are you an antitheist?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Are you an antitheist?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:07 AM »
No, very much not. I have interacted with too many antitheists to want to identify myself as one of that group.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
I call my self 'non-theist', though I'll tick the 'atheist' box if that's the only one available on the form. The rationale is related to language such as "unwed" and "premarital sex": these assume that "married" is the norm. I have never had premarital sex because I will never be married.

Theism is irrelevant to my life almost always. I'm not for or against any more than I'm for or against Dune: stories with interesting implications for the cultures that created them and revere them.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:59 PM »
I am still a theistic non-cognitivist: There doesn't exist a non-trivial, coherent definition of god or God (capital G 'cause theism means "personal God").

Online haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
I still find it interesting that avowed atheists believe so much in the "power of God" to direct people's lives.
Eh?

Atheists seem to need to single out "religion" as somehow different from other mind-altering ideologies for special fear and loathing. If there is no God, then this only a type of "mind game" for people who ascribe to the ideology. In that sense, it is no different from any other unquestioned ideology.

A lack of belief seems to defeat the purpose of ideology.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 12:29:17 AM »
Every time I scan past the thread title I read "are you the antichrist" so good job on the eye catching title!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:41 AM »
I've never defined myself as an anti-theist, though I'm sure some people's definition of it applies to me.  I have no belief in any deities and while I try to remain sincerely open to the possibility, I don't expect to ever change my mind on the matter.  I view organized religion as a tool that was extremely useful, if not thoroughly necessary, in the development of human culture and society, but I think its usefulness has become outweighed by its harmfulness.  I think there is variation among religions in terms of that ratio of usefulness to harmfulness and some religions don't cause many overt problems, but ultimately I think that any good practice which relies on a false belief will lead to harm in some way or another down the road.  I am against organized religion in the sense that I think humanity needs to grow past it in order to stabilize its many communities from local to global, but I don't think we can do that by just being hostile to those religions either. 

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:23 AM »
Every time I scan past the thread title I read "are you the antichrist" so good job on the eye catching title!

Antichrist says what?

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »
When a stranger says "God bless you" or something, I smile condescendingly and say "God is not real." 
I argue with street preachers and door-to-door Mormons.
I post on anti-religion forums and provide atheist perspective in the comments of religious newspaper stories.

So yeah, I identify.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
When a stranger says "God bless you" or something, I smile condescendingly and say "God is not real." 
I post on anti-religion forums and provide atheist perspective in the comments of religious newspaper stories.

So yeah, I identify.

And when someone hits his thumb with a hammer and says "Goddammitt!" I smile condescendingly and say "God is not real."
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »

So yeah, I identify.

And when someone hits his thumb with a hammer and says "Goddammitt!" I smile condescendingly and say "God is not real."

Satan Antichrist bless us all.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 06:26:27 AM »
When my daughter sneezes I say 'guzenmajumder' because Sean Majumder is a funny comedian with a funny name when combined with 'guzen'.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
In my experience the anti-theist position overlaps far too much with racists and Islamaphobes, so I steer clear of it. At its least noxious it seems to attract a lot of edgelordy YouTubers, so that's not in my sphere of interests either.

(In before intellectually dishonest arguments about me not caring about human rights!)

To be honest, New Atheism inspired me to think about my feelings about religion and religiosity, but its legacy and proponents have left me mostly ashamed to say "I'm an atheist" in public, for fear of being associated with those folks. I usually just say I'm not a believer, or that I'm not a person of faith and leave it at that now. Also, I now find myself far more interested in spending time with religious or spiritual people who are kind and have empathy, than loudly proclaimed atheists who angrily recite Richard Dawkins talking points at every opportunity. For the most part, though, my world involves people who by and large aren't religious. And we never feel the need to discuss it.
I never let other people dictate what I say about things that are important to me.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »

"Antitheist" does have a nice, sinister ring to it.

Offline RGU

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »

This is a joke right, you do not really do this? Because if you do, that is just "being a dick".

Offline heyalison

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
In my experience the anti-theist position overlaps far too much with racists and Islamaphobes, so I steer clear of it. At its least noxious it seems to attract a lot of edgelordy YouTubers, so that's not in my sphere of interests either.

(In before intellectually dishonest arguments about me not caring about human rights!)

To be honest, New Atheism inspired me to think about my feelings about religion and religiosity, but its legacy and proponents have left me mostly ashamed to say "I'm an atheist" in public, for fear of being associated with those folks. I usually just say I'm not a believer, or that I'm not a person of faith and leave it at that now. Also, I now find myself far more interested in spending time with religious or spiritual people who are kind and have empathy, than loudly proclaimed atheists who angrily recite Richard Dawkins talking points at every opportunity. For the most part, though, my world involves people who by and large aren't religious. And we never feel the need to discuss it.
I never let other people dictate what I say about things that are important to me.

If you took my comment as being me letting others dictate what I say, then you've got serious reading comprehension issues.

Not wanting to be aligned with racists is called having character and ethics. Not understanding that is your character flaw, not mine.

personate-rain