Author Topic: Atheism and skepticism as gateways to alt-right ideologies  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Vicarious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Atheism and skepticism as gateways to alt-right ideologies
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »
I think most people here forget that discussion forums are mostly made up of the least agreeable people in a population that actually feel pleasure from arguing with anyone. They are also mostly older people (seeing as they are still on a message board in 2018) and thus less malleable. Men are on average less agreeable so there’s no shock that so few women thrive here. There is also the prevalence induced concept change (yes I listen to “you are not so smart” podcast;) which ensures there will be a feeling of regressive attitudes everywhere and ensures conflict amongst humans forever.

That said, I think it’s better not to be on a forum like this as it should be so low on priorities irl that you never get to. So good on OP for moving on to better things!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
So, you posted on a forum to tell other forum posters that posting on forums is a waste of time?  :P

Good point about prevalence-induced concept change though. Progressives tend to respond to decreases in regressive influence in our community by expanding the bounds of what we deem "regressive," so that we can keep on "fighting the good fight." People do the same thing with other ideologies as well. This seems to track with my own experience on discussion forums.

That said, I still feel that Web forums are perhaps the best online format for long-form discussion of complex topics.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:39:50 PM by John Albert »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
People are on discussion forums because they like to discuss things, not simply rate and promote content that they've subscribed to.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
People are on discussion forums because they like to discuss things, not simply rate and promote content that they've subscribed to.

Some people are the former.  I get the impression Vici's is the latter.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
They are also mostly older people (seeing as they are still on a message board in 2018) and thus less malleable.

I joined this site when I was 16. I feel that the time I spent trying to socialize on social media platforms was basically a waste of time, other than teaching me that most people are worthless fakes. In that sense, it was a useful skeptical experience.

personate-rain