Author Topic: Episode #693  (Read 3860 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Episode #693
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
I can't tell if you're being hyperbolic.

This whole thing is probably far-fetched in any case, given how much it would go against the interests of the people currently holding power. But I think you want to go way too far with it. And I'm not that much of a fan of the punitive measures. It should be a duty to serve, but it shouldn't be a punishment, and there should be reasonable grounds for dismissal available.

Having a system that's highly representative and prevents lobbying (noted that it would still be an issue) would be far superior to the current one, and I don't see that there's more to gain by making people fear having to serve.

Agreed that the people who hold power are not going to allow a system that would deprive them of power. My suggested punishment for refusers is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm quite serious about the rest of it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
The section about free education revealed some pretty offensive classist sentiments. This show was one of the last places where I would've expected to find that.
I'd like to see an explanation of this.

The debate thing was pretty week.  It would work better if they had more clear topics like intelligence squared does.  The conversation about college was particularly fact free.  Essentially, its good for folks for reasons with out much evidence for the alleged reasons vs its not good for everyone because its expensive.

Fun fact, Russia tops the list of nations with the highest percentage of the population with a higher educations. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »
I didn't much care for this episode.
Largely because I thought all the debate topics were too "all or nothing". The one on human engineering seemed out of whack, as if there would never be some form of regulation needing to be employed at one time or another.

Same with college. Definitely not for everyone. We have tended to downplay the importance of the trades over the years. Most homeowners will attest to the value of having a good one. They can be very lucrative. They certainly need good education (and some business training would be beneficial), but don't requite 4-year degrees. I thought Evan's argument citing billionaires as just dumb. That said college DEFINITELY has it's place and most people looking to have a good career (and are not going into a trade) would benefit--even with the costs.

The books vs movies. Meh. Like arguing whether music better than sculpture.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »
The section about free education revealed some pretty offensive classist sentiments. This show was one of the last places where I would've expected to find that.

How so, Swag?  I just relistened to it and didn’t find anything particularly classist in it.

(It was Skepmic, not Swagomatic)

I have the same question. I'm recalling them talking about free post-secondary education. Did they have a narrower university focus that i reinterpreted while listening?

I'm always weeks behind and just listened to the episode today, so forgive me for coming in late to the discussion. But I think Swag might be referring to Steve's comment "How you ever worked with someone with only a high school education?" said in a pretty disdainful tone of voice. That bothered me, as I have developed a pretty high level of respect and admiration for Steve's knowledge and command of logic. Kind of dropped him down a peg or two in my estimation.

For the record, I only have an Associates from a community college, which is essentially little more than a glorified high school diploma so I might be a little more sensitive to the issue than some.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 05:09:37 PM »

How so, Swag?  I just relistened to it and didn’t find anything particularly classist in it.

(It was Skepmic, not Swagomatic)

I have the same question. I'm recalling them talking about free post-secondary education. Did they have a narrower university focus that i reinterpreted while listening?

I'm always weeks behind and just listened to the episode today, so forgive me for coming in late to the discussion. But I think Swag might be referring to Steve's comment "How you ever worked with someone with only a high school education?" said in a pretty disdainful tone of voice. That bothered me, as I have developed a pretty high level of respect and admiration for Steve's knowledge and command of logic. Kind of dropped him down a peg or two in my estimation.

For the record, I only have an Associates from a community college, which is essentially little more than a glorified high school diploma so I might be a little more sensitive to the issue than some.

I have literally only a high school education. Never done any "higher" learning at all. And I like to think I'm pretty easy to work with.

Sure, in the jobs that Steve has likely worked in, you don't want to work with someone who has only a high school education. That much should be obvious. But most people don't work in those kinds of jobs.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2018, 06:29:04 PM »
I have one year of university. The vast majority of my learning was self-directed. I was taking some university courses for a bit, but they started to interfere with my education on the job so I quit.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline macronencer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 01:17:21 AM »
Just a quick note: at 1:06:56 Cara says "we all see when we read, though." This is not true, sadly (and she does explain that a few seconds later). I have aphantasia: I have no direct mental imagery at all, and I only discovered that this was unusual last year. I'm 53. I should add that, despite this, I do enjoy books. I even write! So I just wanted to ask whether the team would consider covering aphantasia on the show? I'd be very interested to hear their take on it, particularly Steve and Cara, given their qualifications.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:19:23 AM by macronencer »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 05:48:33 AM »
I seem to remember them talking about it at some point, but I think I'm conflating SGU with some other podcasts. I know I just listened to an interview show on the subject... searching feeds...
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »
Just a quick note: at 1:06:56 Cara says "we all see when we read, though." This is not true, sadly (and she does explain that a few seconds later). I have aphantasia: I have no direct mental imagery at all, and I only discovered that this was unusual last year. I'm 53. I should add that, despite this, I do enjoy books. I even write! So I just wanted to ask whether the team would consider covering aphantasia on the show? I'd be very interested to hear their take on it, particularly Steve and Cara, given their qualifications.

They probably don't read these forums, but you can email them with subject suggestions. I think their email is info at theskepticsguide dot org. Sounds like an interesting subject.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »

They probably don't read these forums, but you can email them with subject suggestions. I think their email is info at theskepticsguide dot org. Sounds like an interesting subject.

It was mentioned it passing on this week's show (#697). That might be a good suggestion for Cara's segment, What's the Word.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline macronencer

• Off to a Start
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:01 AM »
Apologies to both of you for disappearing for two months! Thank you for your suggestions. I will send them an email :)

personate-rain