Author Topic: A cool web site about chess  (Read 340 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
A cool web site about chess
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:18:06 PM »
I just stumbled across this cool chess web site.

http://www.chessgames.com/index.html

It's a data base of chess games, historic and contemporary. After you have selected a game from the data base, it has an interface with a chess board that allows you to step through the game. After playing through a famous game of Alexander Alekhine, I picked a contemporary game at random, and was mystified at some of the moves. In the comments there was a link to a YouTube video with an analysis.

Pretty cool stuff.

It's free to register and play through the games. There's a premium membership, but it's not needed if you just want to play through the games.

I learned to play chess when I was 5 and all my life it's been the one game I love. I'll play other games, but chess is the top one. Unlike card games or dice games, there's nothing random or chance in chess. Nothing is hidden. It's all right out in the open for you to see. The trick is seeing it. I'm not a very good chess player. I consider myself average. At my best, when I walked into a random chess club I was usually right about the middle of the pack. Now that I'm an old man my brain is not as good as it was, and I'm probably not as good as I was. But I'm still fascinated by it. And it's fun to see how the grandmasters play, not in real time, but stepping through the moves at my own pace.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: A cool web site about chess
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
Contemporary games can be mystifying because many of the moves don’t seem intuitive.  It comes from players preparing against computers and making moves that only a computer would think up.  I much prefer to watch analysis of some of the older games because I can at least see where they were going in retrospect.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain