Author Topic: Multiple streaming services are just encouraging pirates  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Multiple streaming services are just encouraging pirates
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
You know I don't mind paying $8-12 a month to watch all the movies I want. But now disney is pulling things from netflix and starting their own so they get more money. I won't pay for 2 services so If something is exclusive to hulu or amazon or some other service that I want I'll just download it.

The services are going to end up all being out of business. greedy bastards.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Multiple streaming services are just encouraging pirates
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »
Geoblocking is the same thing, and I'm not going to be able to commit to a streaming service until licensing stops being fragmented not even continent by continent, but small country by small country.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
I don't mind paying for 2 or even 3 services (I pay about $70 a month). But would rather have an à la carte service where I only payed for what I watch.

The bigger problems are geoblocking and programmes delayed for my area.

I will bittorrent my favourite shows if they are delayed for more than a week, even though I am paying for the channels they will be shown on.

Thankfully services are starting to express shows from the UK and the US and I can watch "most" shows within hours, (sometimes at the same time), of them being shown overseas

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
We do netflix and amazon prime but really don't want to add any more subscription services. We rarely use amazon prime for streaming but since we use it all the time for shipping makes no sense to drop and is nice as a fall back or every now and then see what they have. DC recently launched it's own streaming service and Disney is working on theirs. For star wars and Marvel Disney will have a huge catalog and that not even including sports(they own espn) and traditional Disney cartoons. I see why they want there own streaming service, but because everyone is doing that, makes it worse for the end user. I also wish there was a  à la carte type service but don't see that happening. I don't want a bunch of subscriptions that I never fully use. But that seems to be the model everyone is heading into. I hope maybe they will do weekend passes or something like that where you can watch all you want for a short time at set price and not be bothered with monthly bills.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
None of the services have a contract these days so you can switch them up as often as you like. I keep HBO and Netflix full time but switch between Showtime, Stars, Hulu and Amazon every few months,  binge watch all the series I like then switch.  I also purchase some series and films to own on Vudu like Better call Saul and all the marvel films.  Vudu will often have a film for sale for a few weeks before rentals are available.

Its hard to jump on a high horse here because I am absolutely guilty of downloading stealing myself but that is what you are doing and what I did in the past. I do not get residuals for my work but many of my friends in production do and you are taking money out of their pockets by stealing the shows and films they worked on. It also effects the cost of future shows which does directly effect me.  Many people don't realize how this effects the little guys as much as it does, I didn't until I started working on them.

Without judging (again because I have been guilty too) I ask that you keep this in mind the next time you decide to download something when you could easily just switch channels for a few months. Its all lower cost per month than the cost of one film on Blue ray or Vudu download.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
Thats a very good argument.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
I try to pay for my art.  Even if it's from billion dollar companies.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
None of the services have a contract these days so you can switch them up as often as you like. I keep HBO and Netflix full time but switch between Showtime, Stars, Hulu and Amazon every few months,  binge watch all the series I like then switch.  I also purchase some series and films to own on Vudu like Better call Saul and all the marvel films.  Vudu will often have a film for sale for a few weeks before rentals are available.

Its hard to jump on a high horse here because I am absolutely guilty of downloading stealing myself but that is what you are doing and what I did in the past. I do not get residuals for my work but many of my friends in production do and you are taking money out of their pockets by stealing the shows and films they worked on. It also effects the cost of future shows which does directly effect me.  Many people don't realize how this effects the little guys as much as it does, I didn't until I started working on them.

Without judging (again because I have been guilty too) I ask that you keep this in mind the next time you decide to download something when you could easily just switch channels for a few months. Its all lower cost per month than the cost of one film on Blue ray or Vudu download.

How well does a Blu-ray sale pay the little guy?

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
I try to pay for my art.  Even if it's from billion dollar companies.

For the record if I want to watch the movie more than once or really like it, I will buy the dvd.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »

How well does a Blu-ray sale pay the little guy?

I doubt you could think of it in the size of one DVD sale. I'm sure its many fractions of a cent so its not like one person is taking food out of someones mouth by stealing a DVD, its just the general principle of it.  One million people stealing that DVD adds up

The residuals depend on the guild as well as the deal for that project not to mention the job they did. Since I am not in the DGA or writers guild I don't know.  A quick search of "DGA residuals" should pull up some numbers.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 07:33:00 PM »
You've got it lucky in America, where Netflix actually has most of the content. Here in Australia, we have Netflix, Stan and Foxtel as well as Amazon Prime and very possibly some others. To get "all the movies you want" you actually have to pay for potentially five or more different services.
Self-described nerd

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
Thats a very good argument.

I agree... and yet I continue to pirate my favorite shows if I feel paying for them is too inconvenient. I have two subscriptions and there's still some good content it doesn't cover. Much like buying meat, it's one of those things I've accepted as wrong but will do anyway.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
I just wish there was one place I can get all the movies on line. I would gladly pay for that. For now I have to settle for net fix and the library.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
I like prime streaming service as being a part of prime shipping services. If they unpaired the two, I wouldn't pay for the prime streaming service. Yeah, and I won't pay to see a bunch of Disney movies. I pay for Netflix mostly to see their original programming and foreign movies/series.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »
I want to be able to pay to watch first run movies at home and I would pay a premium for this.  Since a movie ticket by me is close to 15 bucks a pop I'd easily pay 20 bucks for us to get to stream it from home.

also at this point you can pay to rent just about any movie or tv show episode ala carte without any plans, via amzon google or apple.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

personate-rain