Author Topic: Multiple streaming services are just encouraging pirates  (Read 2116 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Multiple streaming services are just encouraging pirates
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
I want to be able to pay to watch first run movies at home and I would pay a premium for this.  Since a movie ticket by me is close to 15 bucks a pop I'd easily pay 20 bucks for us to get to stream it from home.

also at this point you can pay to rent just about any movie or tv show episode ala carte without any plans, via amzon google or apple.

I can't think of the name but a service did try this in limited areas and think it was more like 50$ a ticket per movie. Way to expensive I think. Comcast rents movies from the x1 box, not while its in theaters but about 6 months afterwards, some sooner.  I know there is a formula the movie companies use to maximizes dollars at each stage of a movies release but not sure what the variables are?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
I want to be able to pay to watch first run movies at home and I would pay a premium for this.  Since a movie ticket by me is close to 15 bucks a pop I'd easily pay 20 bucks for us to get to stream it from home.

also at this point you can pay to rent just about any movie or tv show episode ala carte without any plans, via amzon google or apple.

I can't think of the name but a service did try this in limited areas and think it was more like 50$ a ticket per movie. Way to expensive I think. Comcast rents movies from the x1 box, not while its in theaters but about 6 months afterwards, some sooner.  I know there is a formula the movie companies use to maximizes dollars at each stage of a movies release but not sure what the variables are?

some studios have tried this with individual movies but they were afraid to try it on movies that might actually be popular. So of course people totally ignored the option, and the studios get a data point that shows people don't actually want this feature. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 02:53:19 PM »

Myself I'd love to pay to see Game of Thrones in the theater on the day of broadcast.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
How long until they make a GoT movie?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
You know I don't mind paying $8-12 a month to watch all the movies I want. But now disney is pulling things from netflix and starting their own so they get more money. I won't pay for 2 services so If something is exclusive to hulu or amazon or some other service that I want I'll just download it.

The services are going to end up all being out of business. greedy bastards.

You know, that sounds a lot like, "I don't want to have to pay for a second car, so I'll just steal one." Or "I bought potatoes at the Safeway but I want some eggs also, so I'll just steal them from the Piggly Wiggly."

In a free market economy, the owner of a thing can offer it for sale however they like at whatever price they like. I actually don't care if you steal stuff. And I really don't care if you steal from big greedy corporations, but it's rather rich to justify it with "I don't want to pay for two streaming services." The owners of media content are under no obligation to offer every movie and tv show in one streaming service for $12/month. (Which BTW sounds extremely cheap for unlimited streaming.)

I can get all the content I want for free, legally. It's called library books. But it's worth it to me to pay to get them on my Kindle where my decrepit eyes can read them easier.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 05:15:10 PM »

Myself I'd love to pay to see Game of Thrones in the theater on the day of broadcast.

They had a screening in LA where an episode was shown on a big screen and the LA Phil played the score live.  Wish I could have gone.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
I just wish there was one place I can get all the movies on line. I would gladly pay for that. For now I have to settle for net fix and the library.

You think you want a monopoly, but you absolutely don't.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
I just wish there was one place I can get all the movies on line. I would gladly pay for that. For now I have to settle for net fix and the library.

No ,I definitely don't want a monopoly.  I just want a streaming service that I can get all the movies out. I want to be able to watch all the old movies from the 30's and beyond. I am happy to watch new movies in the theater but after the movie is out about a year I would like to watch it online. I just don't want to have 3 or 4 streaming services to subscribe to. Maybe one for movies and another for tv shows.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
I am reminded of this.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »

No ,I definitely don't want a monopoly.  I just want a streaming service that I can get all the movies out. I want to be able to watch all the old movies from the 30's and beyond. I am happy to watch new movies in the theater but after the movie is out about a year I would like to watch it online. I just don't want to have 3 or 4 streaming services to subscribe to. Maybe one for movies and another for tv shows.

That's going to be a monopoly, because there's not a profit motive for more than 1 service to get the rights to all movies.  Streaming is profitable now because each service negotiates for specific rights. If there's only 1 service that has all the rights, that's a monopoly.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »

That's going to be a monopoly, because there's not a profit motive for more than 1 service to get the rights to all movies.  Streaming is profitable now because each service negotiates for specific rights. If there's only 1 service that has all the rights, that's a monopoly.

I've never really understood why only one service should get exclusive streaming rights.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »
The death of Hollywood’s middle class
How Netflix and the streaming wars are creating massive income inequality in the entertainment industry.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90250828/the-death-of-hollywoods-middle-class

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »

I've never really understood why only one service should get exclusive streaming rights.

Because exclusivity is value to the producer. If you want GoT, you go to HBO. If you don't go to HBO, you don't get GoT. If Netflix and Hulu also had GoT the day it aired, why would you pay HBO? Rinse, repeat. Same reason streaming services are picking up their own movies and series.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2018, 02:01:05 AM »
They're picking up their own to have more control, not because they can't make money otherwise. If you made the show, it shouldn't matter which streaming service people are watching it on and where you get an increase in number of viewers and amount of money you get paid.

If they want people to choose their streaming service, they should figure out how to make the streaming service itself superior, independent of content.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »
They're picking up their own to have more control, not because they can't make money otherwise. If you made the show, it shouldn't matter which streaming service people are watching it on and where you get an increase in number of viewers and amount of money you get paid.

If they want people to choose their streaming service, they should figure out how to make the streaming service itself superior, independent of content.

They're picking up their own stuff because it gives them something that other services don't have. That's why exclusive distribution exists. If I make a movie and it comes time to sell distribution rights, I will make more money selling exclusive rights to one distributor than selling rights to all of them, because the show or movie is less valuable with each additional platform. Maybe I package it with less popular shows. If that doesn't happen, then all the streaming services also have to put in a much higher investment to also have all the movies otherwise everybody will just use the one service that has all the movies.

Exclusivity is the only way to make your streaming service better than the others. The product is distribution, everybody is pushing the same quality. Quality of product is the same, quality of presentation is the same, so the only factor left for instant streaming service is having an exclusive product. Same reason there's so many different kinds of cereal at the store.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:52:03 AM by SkeptiQueer »
HIISSSSSSSS

personate-rain