Author Topic: Smart Phone Issue  (Read 695 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Smart Phone Issue
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
I have an older phone, a Galaxy S5 which I have actually always loved.
I am having a problem however.
The phone or system is rejecting calls (but not all) and going straight to voice mail.
Been going on for two or three weeks.
There is a feature called "Auto Reject Mode" but I have completely disabled that.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:14:37 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
Re: Smart Phone Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
Smart phones seem to be like Windows computers. They slow down and becomes pieces of crap over time and you're never sure why. I use an old S3 now as my dashcam.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
The phone or system is rejecting calls (but not all) and going straight to voice mail.
There is a feature called "Auto Reject Mode" but I have completely disabled that.
Any suggestions?

I had this problem with ATT in my small town in Iowa, and got the answer that it was some issue relating to the tower and the signal strength that somehow got a "not-available" response  from the phone, especially if it was in my pocket. I switched to Verizon and the problem went away. Your mileage may vary.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
I use an old S3 now as my dashcam.

What do you mean?  That sounds kinda cool.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
Any suggestions?

Are you using the Marshmallow ROM? I am assuming that is still the latest one, as I haven't reflashed or checked firmware updates using KIES in a while.

It will do that with blocked numbers, and that's the only time I've seen it. I remember (from almost a decade ago) services that could make a call that automatically transfers to voicemail.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »
I spoke to customer service today and they had me reset my profile.
My home phone and my roommates phone both go through fine so cannot test for sure.
Comes down to it, I will go to the nearest Sprint repair store Monday.
I have two ideas if it comes down to getting a new phone
1. Get the S9 but that is $20 a month
2. Get a used S5 on eBay and move stuff over.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »
Are you sure your phone isn't dropping tower/data connection? I only ask since its Sprint. The 4G radio+antenna on my SM-G900Ts work fine.

BTW, if you install custom recovery (TWRP), you can backup/restore phone.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
I spoke to the guy at Sprint and he did not think a hard reset would help

Should note that internet and text appears to be fine.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:19:42 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »
With a phone that old it is quite possible that there is an intermittent hardware fault that is taking the phone off the telephony network at odd intervals. I'm sure there are diagnositic tests you can do to find out more. How comfortable are you with screwing around with the hardware and software of your phone?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
With a phone that old it is quite possible that there is an intermittent hardware fault that is taking the phone off the telephony network at odd intervals.

This is a good point. Phones are really pushing the boundaries of engineering in terms of miniaturization, so they aren't as reliable as you might expect from larger devices. The circuitry in there is really complex and tiny and crammed together real close, and the surface-mount chips are held in place by lots of minuscule solder joints. Environmental factors like heat and vibration can cause those microconnections to become brittle with age, and eventually they'll crack causing failure.

Have you tried the Galaxy S5's built-in diagnostic menu?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
I called it from my work phone and received the call so hopefully good to go.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
Tested it with another phone and seemed to work as well. Hopefully fixed.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »
If you do end up buying another phone, I would suggest you take a look at some of the Motorolas rather than an older Samsung.  Moto makes some Relatively inexpensive phones that are spec’d similar to an S5 but that have some of the newer tech in them (more wireless bands, faster WiFi, better camera sensors, etc.). My sister has an M3 and loves it.  If I weren’t an iPhone user, I’d be looking at them closely.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »
Well, it seems to be working alright.
Do those take micro SD cards?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
Motorolas are very well regarded for their reliability, so it's a good company to look at if you're expecting to get several years of service life out of the device.

Older Samsungs had rather shitty build quality from my experience, though the company seems to have corrected that problem over the past few years.

Regarding MicroSD cards, some take them, some don't. Just check the specs before you buy. And before buying the card, you should also make a note of the maximum capacity of MicroSD card that the particular model can handle.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:23:17 PM by John Albert »

personate-rain