Author Topic: Does the EU human rights court have a backdoor blasphemy law?  (Read 365 times)

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Does the EU human rights court have a backdoor blasphemy law?
« on: October 27, 2018, 04:03:01 AM »

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/26/fine-for-calling-prophet-mohammed-a-paedophile-didnt-breach-free-speech-8076220/

"‘The Court found in particular that the domestic courts comprehensively assessed the wider context of the applicant’s statements and carefully balanced her right to freedom of expression with the right of others to have their religious feelings protected"

While I am reticent to make judgements on a court case of which I've not read the judges rational it looks pretty clear they are going over and above to protect the feelings of certain religions over others.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Does the EU human rights court have a backdoor blasphemy law?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 04:20:57 AM »
I saw this. Absolutely terrible court decision. Let's hope that they don't seek to enforce this "protection of religious feelings" in other EU countries.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 04:42:10 AM »
Hopefully this is more a case of the ECHR not having the power to overrule a national court on blasphemy, rather than the ECHR imposing blasphemy law.

Ireland just this week voted to remove the crime of blasphemy from their constitution, and several other European countries have done similar in recent years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law#Repealings_by_jurisdiction
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:50:00 AM by 2397 »

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Nobody has a "right" to "have their religious feelings protected." No rational person could possibly maintain that a six-year-old can give informed consent to marriage or that a nine-year-old forcibly married to a 56-year-old has any way to say no to sex. The fact that this was probably all entirely legal in a culture in which women were property does not change the fact that a man who wants to have sex with a nine-year-old is a pedophile. Making demonstrably true statements should never be illegal.

Blasphemy laws are one of the reasons that all religion should be abolished.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
That’s bizarre.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:19:22 PM »
You guys should read the decision. This was a neonazi holding "Seminars on Islam" whose goal was to recruit new members to a fascist party by wilfully spreading misinformation.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »
You guys should read the decision. This was a neonazi holding "Seminars on Islam" whose goal was to recruit new members to a fascist party by wilfully spreading misinformation.

What crime was she convicted of? The article gives the impression (but doesn't actually state) that she was convicted of blasphemy for insulting Mohammed. If she was a neo-Nazi recruiter she should have been charged with an appropriate crime. If the court upheld a law against expressing contempt for religion, it was a terrible decision. If the news article is just sensationalizing the story by leaving out the actual crime she was convicted of, then it's a terrible news article.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
I was rather suspicious of the sources I could find covering it alright.

Essentially all this is, is a statement that the local law under which this was tried, is not a breach of EU human rights law.

If I had more information on the initial case and the offending incident I could say whether or not I agree with it.

personate-rain
personate-rain