Author Topic: Bible Museum says five of its Dead Sea Scrolls are fake  (Read 557 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Bible Museum says five of its Dead Sea Scrolls are fake
« on: October 28, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
I thought I would post something a little less serious

For context, Museum of the Bible is built by the Greens of Hobby Lobby fame.

They have had their people buying up Biblical antiquities all over the Middle East and not always being careful of their pedigree. They have also  likely dealt with ISIL and gave them money. Some of the stuff they shipped to the US was shipped under false pretences as well.

Just kind of like that they got some comeuppance.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/22/us/bible-museum-fake-scrolls/index.html

Washington (CNN)The Museum of the Bible in Washington, DC says five of its most valuable artifacts -- once thought to be part of the historic Dead Sea Scrolls -- are fake and will not be displayed anymore.

German-based scholars tested the fragments and found that five "show characteristics inconsistent with ancient origin and therefore will no longer be displayed at the museum."
CNN raised questions about the museum's Dead Sea Scroll fragments in an article published last November, as the Green family prepared to unveil their new, $500 million museum. At 430,000 square feet, and with views of the Capitol, the Bible museum represents a significant investment for its evangelical founders.
Now scholars say the Dead Sea forgeries could be part of the most significant sham in biblical archeology since the "Gospel of Jesus' Wife," a fiasco that hoodwinked a Harvard scholar and made worldwide news in 2012. Some scholars estimate that as many as 70 forged fragments have hit the market since 2002.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Bible Museum says five of its Dead Sea Scrolls are fake
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Only 70 forged fragments? I'd have expected thousands. In addition to the millions of Authentic Pieces of the Cross and the many tons of bones of every popular saint and all the other religious fakery.

And of course even the real Dead Sea scrolls are just copies of copies of copies of copies of copies.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Bible Museum says five of its Dead Sea Scrolls are fake
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
Only 70 forged fragments? I'd have expected thousands. In addition to the millions of Authentic Pieces of the Cross and the many tons of bones of every popular saint and all the other religious fakery.

And of course even the real Dead Sea scrolls are just copies of copies of copies of copies of copies.

...of copies of copies of fake news.  Hahahaha
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

personate-rain