Author Topic: The Freedom of Thought Report for 2018  (Read 326 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
The Freedom of Thought Report for 2018
« on: October 30, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »
The International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) has just released its newest version of the Freedom of Thought Report, which monitors oppression of non-religious people in all the world's countries.

In the recent ranking the ten best countries for atheists were Belgium (1), the Netherlands (1), Taiwan (1), France (4), Japan (4), Nauru (4), São Tomé and Príncipe (4), Norway (8 ), the US (8 ), and Saint Kitts and Nevis (10).

The worst countries for atheists were Brunei Darussalam (187), Sudan (188), Malaysia (189), Mauritania (190), United Arab Emirates (191), Pakistan (192), Maldives (193), Afghanistan (194), Iran (195), and Saudi Arabia (196).

Although I do applaud the idea behind this survey, I do question some of the ranking methods. They seem to go very much on legal aspects, regardless of the social climate, and how these legal aspects are enforced. For example, the US rates very well, no doubt based on its admirable laws regarding freedom of religion and speech. However, by comparison, Australia and New Zealand are not rated so well. But are the blasphemy laws in these two countries ever enforced? It seems to me that religion is much more marginal in these societies compared to the US, and I'd also much rather live in these countries than the US (sorry, Americans).

And in this ranking, Germany is rated on par with Turkey, and Italy does only slightly better than northern Africa. Something doesn't seem right here.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
Re: The Freedom of Thought Report for 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
I don't understand Australia's lower rating. Religion is such a non-issue here. Separation of church and state is enforced at all levels of government.

We have had several agnostic and openly atheist leaders.

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
How does Turkey feel about atheism and Judaism?  My step-daughter is heading there to visit a friend in December and I don't know how to know whether I should be afraid for her or whether my fears are based entirely on the hateful climate spilling over from American politics.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
How does Turkey feel about atheism and Judaism?  My step-daughter is heading there to visit a friend in December and I don't know how to know whether I should be afraid for her or whether my fears are based entirely on the hateful climate spilling over from American politics.

For visitors, it is perfectly OK. The main dangers in Turkey are about expressing political opinions, but I am rather certain that your stepdaughter won't go around talking about the works of Fethullah Gülen or Erdogan's handling of the current financial crisis.

People are extremely friendly and welcoming in Turkey (and all over the Middle-East in general)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »

For visitors, it is perfectly OK. The main dangers in Turkey are about expressing political opinions, but I am rather certain that your stepdaughter won't go around talking about the works of Fethullah Gülen or Erdogan's handling of the current financial crisis.

People are extremely friendly and welcoming in Turkey (and all over the Middle-East in general)

Sounds similar to visiting Afghanistan or the Philippines. Or St. Louis. Don't go out to contested war zones, don't insert yourself in a political protest or get into political debates, and have a friend or a group you can trust and you'll be just fine. Have their been any more upheavals since the summer? I know there was some unrest in June, but I haven't caught wind of anything more since then.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
Oh good.  Thanks.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

personate-rain