Author Topic: Episode #695  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #695
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
Live from Cambridge
Complete the Science Headline
News Items: Reliability vs Validity, Soyuz Failed Launch, Hot Jupiters, Bottom Baryons, UFO Government Waste, What Is Psychopathy
Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline dragnet99x

• Brand New
Re: Episode #695
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
I've been meaning to join this forum for ages but for whatever reason, this question is what finally inspired me.

First, let me just say that I love Cara and normally have nothing but great things to say about her. I love her passion and enthusiasm, and she comes across as highly knowledgeable, especially since beginning her doctoral studies. She's a naturally gifted skeptic and science communicator and normally one of my favorite parts of the show. Coming from someone who's easily annoyed by podcast hosts, that's high praise.

But am I the only one who noticed some kind of affected British intonation week? She wasn't doing an accent, but it seemed like she put that distinct "rising then falling" pitch on every question she asked, as opposed to the American "rising up to the question mark" that I normally hear from her (and everyone else). I've never heard her do this before, and I didn't notice it from any of the other hosts, which made it all the more odd. Americans who appear to spontaneously develop British speaking habits have always been a huge pet peeve of mine, so it kinda distracted me while I was listening. That's my baggage, I know, but I finally got so curious I had to ask to see if I'm imagining things. :)

I don't mean for this to come across as major criticism, just some [hopefully] gentle listener feedback. Cara is awesome and I'll remain a big fan of hers. Whatever was going on this week just seemed out of place.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 01:44:33 PM »
I cannot answer whether you are the only one, but I, at least, didn’t notice anything different.

That said, some people are more easily influenced by the accents of those around them; I find myself quite readily slipping into accents when speaking with someone with that accent, a fact about which I am self-conscious because I do not want to seem to be mocking those with while I am conversing.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
Haven't listened to this one yet, but I was also thinking that people's accents can be affected by the places they visit and stay in, and apparently they're still in the UK.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 03:12:32 PM »
I know this has been mentioned before, but when the Rogues do a live show and pictures are shown to the audience and commented on, it would be nice for the podcast listeners if the pictures were in the show notes.

I didn't notice anything different about Cara's accent  ???

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
The Time sorting hat put me in Ravenclaw (61%) then Hufflepuff, a little Gryffindor, and well under 1% Slytherin. I would have put myself as mostly Slytherin, with some Ravenclaw, and a bit of the other two.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Quite an enjoyable episode, so the ads stand out even more.

I'd be less annoyed with them if you could simply say who's sponsored the episode and what they do/sell, instead of trying to act as if you're really into it and as if it has nothing to do with you being paid to say it.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »

I'd be less annoyed with them if you could simply say who's sponsored the episode and what they do/sell, instead of trying to act as if you're really into it and as if it has nothing to do with you being paid to say it.

I either use the 30” skip forward button on my iPod to avoid the ads or I ignore them and use the time to think about what has been previously said.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
Alternatively you can contribute financially and get access to the ad-free feed...
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:41 AM »
That is an option, but the ads are still part of the main feed and content that they're producing, so I'm going to comment on the quality of them.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
Alternatively you can contribute financially and get access to the ad-free feed...

I did that through Patreon, but I had a bad experience with my first attempt to listen using the Patreon app.  My memory is bad, but I seem to remember that when I closed the app (like, really closed it, not just going back to m phone home page), it lost track of where in the podcast I was.  Am I remembering that wrong?  Does anyone else listen through Patreon and like it?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Skepmic

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:04 PM »

Don't tell me the totally authentic enthusiasm for socks, matresses or other substandard stuff impugns the credibility of the show!

I did that through Patreon, but I had a bad experience with my first attempt to listen using the Patreon app.  My memory is bad, but I seem to remember that when I closed the app (like, really closed it, not just going back to m phone home page), it lost track of where in the podcast I was.  Am I remembering that wrong?  Does anyone else listen through Patreon and like it?

Isn't there at least an audio RSS feed?

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 10:44:33 PM »
I'm a patreon subscriber. Never had a problem like that using PocketCast or DoggCatcher.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline jhib

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »
I've been meaning to join this forum for ages but for whatever reason, this question is what finally inspired me.

First, let me just say that I love Cara and normally have nothing but great things to say about her. I love her passion and enthusiasm, and she comes across as highly knowledgeable, especially since beginning her doctoral studies. She's a naturally gifted skeptic and science communicator and normally one of my favorite parts of the show. Coming from someone who's easily annoyed by podcast hosts, that's high praise.

But am I the only one who noticed some kind of affected British intonation week? She wasn't doing an accent, but it seemed like she put that distinct "rising then falling" pitch on every question she asked, as opposed to the American "rising up to the question mark" that I normally hear from her (and everyone else). I've never heard her do this before, and I didn't notice it from any of the other hosts, which made it all the more odd. Americans who appear to spontaneously develop British speaking habits have always been a huge pet peeve of mine, so it kinda distracted me while I was listening. That's my baggage, I know, but I finally got so curious I had to ask to see if I'm imagining things. :)

I don't mean for this to come across as major criticism, just some [hopefully] gentle listener feedback. Cara is awesome and I'll remain a big fan of hers. Whatever was going on this week just seemed out of place.

I just listened and I definitely noticed this, too.  I was curious to see if anyone mentioned it here.

It didn't really bother me at all, but just made me chuckle to myself a little bit. It's interesting how some people are so much quicker than others to pick up local speech patterns.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »

I just listened and I definitely noticed this, too.  I was curious to see if anyone mentioned it here.

It didn't really bother me at all, but just made me chuckle to myself a little bit. It's interesting how some people are so much quicker than others to pick up local speech patterns.

Whether it was conscious or not on the part of Cara I don't know, but I don't think it's to her detriment. The other day I heard Donald J. Trump interacting with a Japanese reporter who I felt was speaking rather clearly and Trump was having none of it -- "I don't understand you". Trump was eager to move on to the next reporter, someone who spoke "American" presumably, Trump coming across as boorish to me. A pet hate about accents is not something I have. Would be interesting to know how much of this is hardware and how much is attitude. Maybe Trump can't hear well enough to process differing speech patterns but I find less charitable explanations more satisfying.

personate-rain
personate-rain