Author Topic: CrashPlan  (Read 259 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
CrashPlan
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
I just realized that I somehow deleted all copies of my Computer Science exams from last year from my computer.  I was completely dispirited, because that meant many hours of work creating new exams from scratch rather than a couple of hours remixing and revising previous ones.  After swearing extensively for a while and basically giving up on it, I remembered CrashPlan, which sits quietly in my task bar almost never intruding into my consciousness.  I opened it up, set the date to last November, and downloaded perfect copies of these now-deleted files which were then still sitting on my desktop.

I'm not happy with CrashPlan's decision to ditch their consumer plans, and I wasn't sure what I was going to do when my plan price went up to $9.99/mo starting 11/23.  But now I feel it's worth every penny.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:01:51 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: CrashPlan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:10 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you. I've been relying on OneDrive for most of my offsite backup needs - but that scenario might not be recoverable for my current setup. OTOH I basically never delete anything ever, so it's a low probability problem for me at this point.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: CrashPlan
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:54:56 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you. I've been relying on OneDrive for most of my offsite backup needs - but that scenario might not be recoverable for my current setup. OTOH I basically never delete anything ever, so it's a low probability problem for me at this point.

I certainly didn’t intend to delete these.  It must’ve happened accidentally when I was organizing my desktop.  The brilliant part of this is that it’s essentially got unlimited versioning.  I can access (and download or restore) my entire user folder as it was at any time in the last 2.5 years. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain