Author Topic: Episode #696  (Read 1470 times)

Online 2397

• Well Established
Re: Episode #696
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
The first thing we are likely to invent if we can mass produce antimatter is an antimatter bomb.  Consider that in most fusion bombs only about 1% of the bomb's mass is converted to energy.  With antimatter you could fit a city buster nuke into a pen.  A gram of the stuff could orbit the space shuttle.

It's pretty much a bomb by default, so the first thing we'll do is try to avoid creating bombs.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
I was stunned that Steve used Bhopal as a SoF item. I had always assumed that it was a universally known name, like Chernobyl, Katrina, or Fukushima.

Yeah, me too.  Although I misremembered the company involved. 

It made me wonder what the proper table talk would be if you know for sure one of the items is science.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »
I was stunned that Steve used Bhopal as a SoF item. I had always assumed that it was a universally known name, like Chernobyl, Katrina, or Fukushima.

It made me wonder what the proper table talk would be if you know for sure one of the items is science.

Same. There's probably a rule among them to not let on if they've read about it.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »

Same. There's probably a rule among them to not let on if they've read about it.

From time to time one of them does say "yeah, I totally read this one".
Self-described nerd

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »

And then sometimes they still get it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 07:18:06 PM »

And then sometimes they still get it wrong.

Yeah that's when they say "I totally read this one but I only skimmed it and I don't remember the specific detail that you're calling out!"
Self-described nerd

Offline Lestopher

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »
I highly recommend the book To Engineer is Human by Henry Petroski.  It focuses on the role of failure in successful design and covers a number of specific incidents like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and the Hyatt Skyway collapse. 

While listening to the episode, I experienced a false memory, remembering seeing the skyway collapse on TV news in the early 80s.  Clearly, my memory missfiring as I was in diapers when it happened.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
I highly recommend the book To Engineer is Human by Henry Petroski.  It focuses on the role of failure in successful design and covers a number of specific incidents like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and the Hyatt Skyway collapse. 

While listening to the episode, I experienced a false memory, remembering seeing the skyway collapse on TV news in the early 80s.  Clearly, my memory missfiring as I was in diapers when it happened.

I remembered it quite well and knew this one.  There was also a Nova episode about it and a couple TV documentaries, maybe that's what you're remembering?

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 10:21:10 PM »
There was a small Union Carbide facility in my otherwise dainty hometown of Sudbury, Massachusetts, so the Bhopal disaster really stuck with me too.

Eerily enough, in 1977 Leonard Nimoy narrated a safety film for Union Carbide, "" [20:31] (yeah, a nice easy-to-remember title…). It starts with four fictional accounts of horrific future disasters due to negligence. (The second part is about DOT/HAZMAT paperwork and procedures, now that everyone is sick to their stomachs and motivated to comply.)

They don't show any gore, but his narrative of how the victims (many of them children) died against scenes of them happily going about how their lives would have been is pretty chilling.

Offline Lestopher

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »
I remembered it quite well and knew this one.  There was also a Nova episode about it and a couple TV documentaries, maybe that's what you're remembering?

At this distance, who knows, that could very well be it.  I'm suspect my reading of To Engineer is Human in the 90s also played a role in this memory.   All I can say is that when Steve was reading Truth or Fiction I thought that part of the reason for this being the fiction was that I remembered seeing it on the news in the early 80s...

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:47 PM »

Yeah. Kinda made me feel old, because I remembered it and thought, How young are these people that they don't immediately remember Bhopal? Then realized that they don't have to be very young to not remember it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

Yeah. Kinda made me feel old, because I remembered it and thought, How young are these people that they don't immediately remember Bhopal? Then realized that they don't have to be very young to not remember it.

Indeed, I had read about it several places; years before I was born. Didn't remember key details. Didn't even remember that it was a gas—I imagine recalling/guessing water table poisoning. But as one of the guests pointed out, the numbers could have easily been fudged to make it a trick item.

Offline mabell_yah

• Off to a Start
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
I'm disappointed that Evan failed to make an "Everything's up to date in Kansas City" joke.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 10:40:05 PM »
Not everyone enjoys musical theater as much as some of us do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #29 on: Today at 10:00:39 AM »
Just curious why this thread is pinned.