Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 120322 times)

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #1095 on: December 08, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
I picked up the following e-book, based on the author's personal pitch on John Scalzi's blog (linked here)

My book out this year is HOW RORY THORNE DESTROYED THE MULTIVERSE (DAW, Oct. 2019):
Princess Leia meets The Princess Bride, in space, with a grumpy cyborg and math-magic (or: a reimagining of fairy tale tropes in a space opera with a healthy dose of let’s-take-on-the-patriarchy).
It was a lot of fun to write, and I hope it’s a lot of fun to read. (Or to listen to, since there is also an audio version).

I read it very quickly and quite enjoyed it.  On the YA end of the spectrum, but that's not a criticism, just a description.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1096 on: December 08, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
They are aimed at children. They should be considered on that basis. The Tales of Beetle the Bard also.

Beedle. And as I said, the demographic they are aimed at increases in age with each book. Deathly Hallows is aimed at 17-year olds.
Okay, children and seventeen year old adults.

Did you even read what I wrote? Each book is aimed at a different age.
I knew that before I started reading them. And seven books, starting when Harry is eleven. Do the math.

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my original post. This isn't an argument.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #1097 on: December 08, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
They are aimed at children. They should be considered on that basis. The Tales of Beetle the Bard also.

Beedle. And as I said, the demographic they are aimed at increases in age with each book. Deathly Hallows is aimed at 17-year olds.

I knew that before I started reading them. And seven books, starting when Harry is eleven. Do the math.

You're singularly obstreperous for a non-argumentative person.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1098 on: December 08, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »

You're singularly obstreperous for a non-argumentative person.

Well now that I know that you're not saying that all seven books are intended for eleven-year-olds, I'm good.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1099 on: December 08, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »
I never implied that. Before I ever read the books my 3rd wife, who was going to be a children's librarian, fully briefed me on the books. She wanted someone to argue with about the books. We had fun speculating about the next book. We bought two so we didn't have to wait for the other to finish the latest.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1100 on: December 08, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »
I never implied that...

I know that, now, but for a moment there it looked to me like you did. So my apologies for this entire derail.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1101 on: December 08, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
I never implied that...

I know that, now, but for a moment there it looked to me like you did. So my apologies for this entire derail.
Gracious of you. :salute:

personate-rain