Author Topic: Reading habits and diversity  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
Re: Reading habits and diversity
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2020, 02:49:46 pm »
The online SFF book club i'm a part of (Sword and Laser), is reading Gideon the Ninth as our February book pick.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

It is getting mixed reviews over there. I, personally, rated it between 'meh' and 'good'. 2½/5 Stars
(I bumped it up to 3 stars, as Goodreads doesn't allow ½ stars)

I agree with you about the blurb. The blurb is terrible at describing the book.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
The online SFF book club i'm a part of (Sword and Laser), is reading Gideon the Ninth as our February book pick.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4170-the-sword-and-laser

It is getting mixed reviews over there. I, personally, rated it between 'meh' and 'good'. 2½/5 Stars
(I bumped it up to 3 stars, as Goodreads doesn't allow ½ stars)

I agree with you about the blurb. The blurb is terrible at describing the book.

I should join...I was a big fan of that crew's tech reviews back in the day before politics took up all my podcast time..
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2020, 03:40:03 pm »
I should join...I was a big fan of that crew's tech reviews back in the day before politics took up all my podcast time..

You should join. We have a huge community (over 23,000 members) and have been going for over 12 years. (139 books read)
We read a mix of old and new SFF.

Veronica and Tom are both still involved in the tech industry (Veronica at Adobe. Tom as a podcast tech journalist)

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2020, 01:16:30 pm »
I had to share a quote I read today at lunch and decided on this thread.  It's kinda political.

For background, being Feb. I'm reading black authors this month and this year I decided to go read more Octavia Butler who went criminally unrecognized outside of niche circles.  Anyway, I started "Parable of the Talents" today and the main character is talking about a Presidential candidate who she really dislikes.

As for the beatings, the tarring and feathering, and the destruction of "heathen houses of devil-worship," he has a simple answer:"Join us! Our doors are open to every nationality, every race! Leave your sinful past behind and become one of us.  Help us to make America great again."

The book itself (or at last the first one) is a dystopic tale of late-stage capitalism and racism.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2020, 02:47:05 pm »
re-reading favorites from my school years. Friday, by Heinlein, on the rack right now. Never finished this one, it disappeared while I was in the hospital in Tokyo. I guess they thought I'd be dead before I got back.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online Sawyer

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2020, 04:01:00 pm »
Hmm, where should this go?  Here, the Breadtube thread, or its own separate politics thread?

After being annoyed that it was never in my local library, I finally purchased P.E. Moskowitz's The Case Against Free Speech and blazed through it this weekend.  It did a great job of tying together a lot of seemingly disparate ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for the past year or so, and in a much more pleasant tone than one might expect from the title.  If you don't have time to read the book, I would suggest either the following C-SPAN book talk, or the original OTM segment where I first heard Moskowitz:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?463545-1/the-case-free-speech

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/episodes/on-the-media-sticks-and-stones

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Free-Speech-Amendment/dp/156858864X

I think to many here the idea that free speech has been weaponized by the far right will not come as a surprise.  What is surprising is how inherently malleable the entire concept of free speech is, and how it has changed many times over the last century.  Moskowitz's core thesis is that at a bare minimum we should reframe our respect (or fear) for free speech in way that acknowledges its material causes and consequences.  This concept of free speech WAS fully embraced by labor activists and communists at the beginning of the 20th century, and by black power leaders and anti-war demonstrators during the 60s.  Now the only people who seem to fully grasp this idea are the literal Nazis - their "speech" ultimately has real meaning because of the ability to inflict tangible harm, although they'll never dare admit this until it's too late to stop them.  Practically every major newspaper and activist organization has watered down their understanding of the 1st Amendment to the point of parody, and I've sorely tempted to give up donating to the ACLU as I'm coming to terms with their key role in this process.

If the left wing politics of the book are too bitter a pill to swallow, I'd hope everyone here can at least consider the broader skeptical lesson.  Don't automatically turn off your bullshit detector every time someone utters the phrase "free speech". You should probably turn it up. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:03:10 pm by Sawyer »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2020, 05:35:18 pm »
I believe in the concept of free speech, but I have said on this and several other forums over the years, that I don't support the belief that all ideas and thoughts deserve the protection of free speech laws.

It is a common saying among free speech advocates and civil libertarians that "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.". Really?  :-\ They would give their life to allow white supremacists to spout racist propaganda on public streets or for christian homophobes to protest with hateful signs at the funerals of soldiers. Really?  :-\

I do support free speech, but there has to be consequences for spouting discriminatory and hateful speech in public. Hate speech laws aren't an attack on Free Speech laws. They are a protection for groups that feel threatened by that speech.

Australia has Hate speech Laws and doesn't have Freedom of speech enshrined in our constitution, yet you would struggle find an aussie who doesn't believe that they have the same freedoms as those in the US. We just don't give free license to those that would use that right to attack others.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2020, 05:46:21 pm »
To quote the great political thinker Billy Joel, "You can speak your mind, but not on my time."
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada