Author Topic: Reading habits and diversity  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
Re: Reading habits and diversity
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 11:03:24 PM »
What, we're no longer allowed to read books about *white* whales?  Reverse racism!

(I was going to use the Archer Bartleby the Scribner joke here but I already used that on another forum this week)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 12:35:23 AM »
What, we're no longer allowed to read books about *white* whales?  Reverse racism!

(I was going to use the Archer Bartleby the Scribner joke here but I already used that on another forum this week)

This deserves a standing ovation. Well done!

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
So, I'm halfway through this year and had some time on my hands here at work and decided to make a count of the gender/racial makeup of authors I've read.  At least two of the books I've read this year have multiple authors.  I listed those books by their top billing.

White Male   15
White Female   3
Black Female   5
Black Male      1
Black Transgender (they/them)   1
Unknown Female?   1

The last entry is a book I picked up on a lark.  The name of the author is most likely female but I can find no information on the author at all.  The main character of the book was female and the voice felt really authentic to me, but that doesn't really mean anything because how would I know.

Most of my 8 non-fiction so far were written by men.  The one exception being "The New Jim Crow" written by a black female.  The others were by a mixture of authors from primarily white and/or Jewish backgrounds.

I went out of my way to read black authors back in Feb.  Sort of a theme.  Other than that, I haven't been dedicated to my original concept.  I fell into a Sanderson trilogy I wasn't familiar with and had to read it.  Same with a Scalzi book I found on sale.

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »
Props to you for tracking this, Calinthalus. Reading diversely is so important. I've got a long way to go on this myself, but I'm working on it.

A recent great scientific/skeptical book by a female author is Good to Go by Christie Aschwanden. It is ostensibly about recent fads in athletic training, but it really just uses that subject as a vehicle for explaining the scientific method, the difference between science and pseudoscience, and how to be a good critical thinker.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
Uh oh, looking over my Goodreads account it seems like this is a MAGA year for books - Make Authors Great...ly deficient in melanin Again.  MAGDIMA?  16/20 books by English or American white males.  I managed to squeeze in some James Baldwin at least.  Two of the female authors I read (Jane Mayer and Sarah Vowell) were only on my radar because they are constantly popping up on public radio programs I listen to, so not much of a divergence from my normal habits.  I guess the Turing bio I read vaguely falls under LGBT issues, and I'm currently working through the Mismeasure of Man.

Does Candace Owens have a book yet?  Or Blair White?    >:D

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
I've been trying this the last few years and I think I have way too high standards for books not matter who the author is.  Most of the books I read I think are "meh"
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Honestly, looking at my Goodreads, probably the best fiction I have read all year so far was by a African American woman.  I couldn't pick a favorite book, but the whole Broken Earth trilogy was great.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »
So I'm going full-on Black History Month seven months late.  Finally checked out The New Jim Crow.  I think the message has been so quickly absorbed over the past few years that nothing is striking me as particularly surprising so far.

One big issue though - was the editor snoozing on the job for the first edition of this book?  My copy literally says there's been 200 years since the Emancipation Proclamation in the first sentence of chapter 1.  Am I screwing up the math here, or is that 50 years off?

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »
So I'm going full-on Black History Month seven months late.  Finally checked out The New Jim Crow.  I think the message has been so quickly absorbed over the past few years that nothing is striking me as particularly surprising so far.

One big issue though - was the editor snoozing on the job for the first edition of this book?  My copy literally says there's been 200 years since the Emancipation Proclamation in the first sentence of chapter 1.  Am I screwing up the math here, or is that 50 years off?

I read that back in Feb.  I just went an opened my electronic copy and the first sentence in my edition is:
For more than one hundred years, scholars have written about the illusory nature of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Emancipation Proclamation, was in like 1863 IIRC, so like 156 years.  Looks like they corrected it at some point.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 05:54:30 PM »
Halfway through, and you can pretty much go back to whatever I was writing a year ago on these forums for a summary of how I feel right now.  Fuck every single conservative justice that has served on the Supreme Court since 1970.  When the chips are down, not a single one of them will lift a finger to protect the 4th-8th Ammendments of the Bill of Rights.  They failed black people on desegregation, they failed on criminal justice, they failed on protecting voting rights, everything.  I have no hope for the future of this country so long as these goons have any significant clout in our judicial system.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »
If you wanna keep up your legal hate-boner, I suggest "Just Mercy" by Bryan Stevenson.  He's a little more hopeful about the future, but the stories he has to tell would fill any sane person with a years supply of righteous anger.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
So, we're into December.  My year in review is  Here.

Assuming I finish the book I'm reading currently (safe assumption) I'm currently at 59 books on the year.  One was a trilogy in a single edition, several were small novellas.  Only 16 non-fiction so far.

30 by White Males.
12 by White Females.
10 by Black Females.
1 by Black Males.
1 by Black Trans.
2 by Native American Female.
1 by Middle Eastern Male.
3 by Asian Males.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
Pretty sure you've won this round, Cal.  Nice work ... for a conniving race traitor!!!!   >:D

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2019/17018778

30 books if we're counting the graphic novels
just the one James Baldwin early on and then my fall streak of 4 books dealing with race
5 female authors

Going to try nabbing David Neiwert's Alt-America at the library tomorrow.  Probably will need another winter reprieve into white person nerd stuff after that.  Maybe some more Le Guin though, that was an easy foray into sex politics.

And way off topic, but looking at this year in review spread I'm convinced that Goodreads is yet another participant in the grand conspiracy to give me full-blown obsessive compulsive disorder.  Six discworld novels that default to four different cover formats.

personate-rain