Author Topic: Primitive Technology  (Read 646 times)

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Primitive Technology
« on: November 12, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
Lately I've been a little bit obsessed with these YouTube Videos that show people making stone age tools and dwellings from scratch.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:36:36 PM by John Albert »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Primitive Technology
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
First one to build a Wonder wins.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »

You win the internets for today.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
The Primitive Technology guy is Australian - he's up somewhere in the Daintree rainforest near Cairns in Queensland, as far as I know. And yeah, he's brilliant. In case anyone reading hasn't watched any of his videos, he goes into the rainforest with literally nothing but a pair of denim shorts, makes tools from stone and wood, builds structures, and even ends up smelting tiny amounts of iron.

But he puts out a video maybe once every eight months or so.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:48:07 PM »
They're mesmerizing to watch.

I also appreciate the irony of sitting in a modern city, deriving entertainment from using my personal computer to watch a guy in a remote rainforest building primitive dwellings out of sticks and mud.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:16:42 AM by John Albert »

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 12:22:27 AM »
The Primitive Technology guy is Australian - he's up somewhere in the Daintree rainforest near Cairns in Queensland, as far as I know. And yeah, he's brilliant. In case anyone reading hasn't watched any of his videos, he goes into the rainforest with literally nothing but a pair of denim shorts, makes tools from stone and wood, builds structures, and even ends up smelting tiny amounts of iron.

He averages about 1 video per month I think? His video list has 40 episodes since May 2015, or 40 videors per 42 months or almost 1:1. Am I missing something?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 12:25:24 AM »

He averages about 1 video per month I think? His video list has 40 episodes since May 2015, or 40 videors per 42 months or almost 1:1. Am I missing something?

I may have been exaggerating. I also think that though he may average one per month, it's not a regular schedule. I'm pretty sure I've seen only one in the last two or three months at least. He may have put them out more frequently at other times.

My point was to not anticipate frequent updates to the channel.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:46:54 AM »
I anticipate updates about once a month. That's been his schedule from the beginning as far as I can tell. Not frequent, as you say.

ETA: Turn on the subtitles for Mr. Primitive Technology. Very informative.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 05:23:25 AM »
Only if it stands for 200 years.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41