Author Topic: Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion  (Read 1234 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
Re: Breakthrough in Nuclear Fusion
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
That seems too simple. One of the reasons humans have more children is higher childhood mortality rates. Food security decreases childhood mortality, which decreases the pressure to have more children. I would expect there to be a spike in population for one generation, while the currently reproducing humans have not adjusted to the new conditions.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
Populations are limited by food supply, but there are incentives and disincentives independent of that for having children in the first place. Throw a bunch of food at a population without changing their incentives for having children, and it will grow dramatically (unless they were already not having a lot of children).

That's false. We've discussed this before. In developed countries where the food supply is virtually unlimited, birth rates drop. As countries become more affluent, and their food supplies becomes stable, their birth rates drop.

The opposite of what you're predicting.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
I'm not arguing against the general trend, and I agree all populations will probably slow down eventually. But I don't agree with waiting around for it to happen or not taking issue with the global population growing by several more billions, when it's possible to actively reduce fertility rates without any form of coercion. There are populations that are multiplying in size several times as fertility rates decrease, because the rate has a long way to decrease and it happens slowly.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
I'm not arguing against the general trend, and I agree all populations will probably slow down eventually. But I don't agree with waiting around for it to happen or not taking issue with the global population growing by several more billions, when it's possible to actively reduce fertility rates without any form of coercion. There are populations that are multiplying in size several times as fertility rates decrease, because the rate has a long way to decrease and it happens slowly.

That's a little different. FWIW, those malthusian concepts (more food = population growth) have led to justifications for some truly horrible policies in the past.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
Populations are limited by food supply, but there are incentives and disincentives independent of that for having children in the first place. Throw a bunch of food at a population without changing their incentives for having children, and it will grow dramatically (unless they were already not having a lot of children).

That's false. We've discussed this before. In developed countries where the food supply is virtually unlimited, birth rates drop. As countries become more affluent, and their food supplies becomes stable, their birth rates drop.

OK...so we're going to limit this new technology to just the affluent countries. Good idea.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »

OK...so we're going to limit this new technology to just the affluent countries. Good idea.

Like Elysium, basically.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 01:07:55 PM »
Like Elysium, basically.

Is that movie any good?

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Like Elysium, basically.

Is that movie any good?

I thought it was decent, nothing to write home about, though.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Like Elysium, basically.

Is that movie any good?

The premise has been done better.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »

The arrow of causality doesn't go that way, at least not exclusively. Fusion will be expensive to start up. Many places won't be able to pay for it. There may be some 'we won't share with you' but I suspect it will just be capitalism and market forces that will limit who can afford the technology.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »

The arrow of causality doesn't go that way, at least not exclusively. Fusion will be expensive to start up. Many places won't be able to pay for it. There may be some 'we won't share with you' but I suspect it will just be capitalism and market forces that will limit who can afford the technology.

I was being glib.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:28:24 AM »
Ah. Missed it. Maybe we need a <glib></glib> tag? ;)

personate-rain