Author Topic: most difficult song of all time!  (Read 464 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
most difficult song of all time!
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »
Totally hyperbolic title I know. There are so many metric's its really hard to determine what the most difficult or complex ever song is. I did some goggle searches and was surprised at how many low level songs people claimed should be on the list. I saw one that claimed walk this way by arrowsmith. WTF, that offends my sensibility's. Personally I think classical and metal probably at the top it but look forward to seeing what others think? I'll start off with Paganini's 5th, not as famous as the 24 but its much more symmetrical and the inspiration for the movie crossroads guitar battle. I predict seeing some animals as leaders soon but would like to limit it to one song per post, but post as much as you want. Really I love highly technical music so just want to see a bunch of what other people like. What do you think the most complex or hard to play song is? I know there can't really be one, but what do you think should be a contender? Also don't just think guitar or piano or classic. All types of music are fair game.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:58:04 AM by moj »

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: most difficult song of all time!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
more paganini but on the banjo

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
Moto perpetuo is considered of medium difficulty for violin -- played on trumpet it's a stunt that young trumpeters are more than happy to make fools of themselves with. It can't be played on trumpet! Yet some have mastered it, notably Wynton Marsalis. I prefer this old recording because here Mendez struggles in places, making the performance reach out to the listener's perpetual bafflement -- is this guy real?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:06:39 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
Gaspard de la Nuit has a reputation for being difficult, specifically the movement titled Scarbo. While there are numerous fluid performances you can chose from on YouTube, here a young player is caught in the act of taming this beast and is for me a visceral experience -- not to worry, soon she will have this under her belt,

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:37:14 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Ruth is Sleeping is hard to play, few go there, this gentlemen aces it,

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Not being a musician makes this a difficult guess for me.  But how about this for drums:

"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
Back when I played trombone I always said that there was one piece that could never be played on that instrument. Of course I was wrong.

Self-described nerd

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 07:01:02 PM »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
a good break down of the idea of it

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »

a lot of comments on you tube are actually good and refer to the Adam nealy video I posted above.

TEN years of rehearsal, FOUR years of recording, and 1,983 takes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:31:35 AM by moj »

Online daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:29:14 AM »
Totally hyperbolic title I know. There are so many metric's its really hard to determine what the most difficult or complex ever song is. I did some goggle searches and was surprised at how many low level songs people claimed should be on the list. I saw one that claimed walk this way by arrowsmith. WTF, that offends my sensibility's. Personally I think classical and metal probably at the top it but look forward to seeing what others think? I'll start off with Paganini's 5th, not as famous as the 24 but its much more symmetrical and the inspiration for the movie crossroads guitar battle. I predict seeing some animals as leaders soon but would like to limit it to one song per post, but post as much as you want. Really I love highly technical music so just want to see a bunch of what other people like. What do you think the most complex or hard to play song is? I know there can't really be one, but what do you think should be a contender? Also don't just think guitar or piano or classic. All types of music are fair game.

Without commenting on the notion of a "most difficult" piece, Sumina Studer is a brilliant violinist. One of the very best. Born in 1997, she would have been 19 years old when the above was recorded.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »
I'll add this one for bass but to also sing and play is pretty remarkable.

personate-rain