Author Topic: Episode #697  (Read 3537 times)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Episode #697
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
If you want to hear quantum "randomness" just listen to a Gieger counter. in b4 Schrödinger's Cat...

AFAIK, a neuron firing is never caused by a single molecule, but instead by a certain amount of ion(s) building up in a synapse.

Offline Devin Bray

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
If you want to hear quantum "randomness" just listen to a Gieger counter. in b4 Schrödinger...

AFAIK, a neuron firing is never caused by a single molecule, but instead by a certain amount of ion(s) building up in a synapse.

I'm not particularly interested in quantum randomness.  But you are correct that neuronal firings aren't caused by single molecules or particles, but rather by "summing" a kind of swarm of activity.  The nature of causation with patterns on higher levels of organization than molecules is precisely what I'm interested in!  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:12:29 PM by Devin Bray »

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
Just a small little geek correction for Steve (if he reads these things): Stan Lee did not originate the concept of a shared superhero universe. That first appears in 1940 from DC ('tho it wasn't DC at the time but let's not get TOO geeky ) with All-Star Comics #3 and the first meeting of the Justice Society of America, bringing together the heroes Hawkman, Dr. Fate, original Flash, original Green Lantern, Sandman, and others as well as Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman eventually on a part-time basis. In fact, it was the success of the Silver Age (late fifties/early sixties)  Justice Society re-vamp, the Justice League, that spurred Stan's publisher at the time to order him to create a super-hero group for Marvel, the Fantastic Four  which began the Marvel Age.

What Stan did was treat the Superhero Universe with consistency. For example, over at DC the inhabintants of Atlantis in Superman had fish tails (Lori Lemars) while in Aquaman they did not.

The concept of heroes banding together in a shared mythos goes all the way back to Greek myths with Jason and the Argonauts, teaming up Hercules, Orpheus, the Gemini Twins, Thesus, and others.

....you're all picturing me looking like Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons now, aren't you?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:09:34 PM by Paul Blevins Jr. »

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »
No need to be concerned about the James Webb telescope and the dust bunny moons.

James Webb is headed for an Earth/Sun Lagrange point (actually a Lissajous orbit around L2), while the new "moons" are at Earth/Moon Lagrange points.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
Props to Jay for not giggling at Norbert Wiener's name. He was one of greatest mathematicians of the 20th century. Mathematicians are a humorous bunch-- there is a stochastic process named after him called the "Wiener sausage".

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
Congratulations to Devin for a great appearance on the SGU! I thought he did a great job of holding his own (both in terms of science and humor) with Steve and the rogues, and that's a tall order. I think I'd be too nervous to speak in that situation.

It always bothers me when non-mathematicians try to take mathematical papers and apply them to general philosophical ideas. Probably just a pet peeve of mine that I should get over. Aside from that, though, I really enjoyed this episode.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 12:39:13 AM »
What is the fallacy where you continually keep repeating the same wrong fact as if it's true?  ???
Proof by assertion, maybe.  ???

The Rogues keep peddling the myth that George Hrab never gets Science or Fiction right. Jay said in this podcast (and Steve supported him) that George has only been right about 1 time in 20 attempts.

He has in fact been right 10 times in 23 attempts. A respectable 43.5%. Over 10% better than pure chance.

The worst at Science or Fiction is James Randi. He has never got one right in 4 attempts.

Yes I am a statistics nerd  ;D

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »
Oh good god: quantum woo on the SGU.

No offense to Devin, but isn't the bigger issue is that the Rogues gave a seat on the podcast to someone because they donated money?

That's worse than the way they do ads, in my book. I hope this doesn't become a thing.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Devin Bray

• Off to a Start
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 06:14:58 PM »

No offense to Devin, but isn't the bigger issue is that the Rogues gave a seat on the podcast to someone because they donated money?

That's worse than the way they do ads, in my book. I hope this doesn't become a thing.

Idunno, seems a little offensive, to be honest.  I certainly could improve as a "podcaster," but I don't think I did terribly for a first time.  Are we still ignoring my clarifications regarding quantum woo?  I've taken time to explain this at length in the thread already.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:33:12 PM by Devin Bray »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »

This was a premium offered on Patreon,

LUXOTIC
$200 or more per month (sold out!)
You have evolved beyond mere matter, a being of pure skepticism. At this most advanced state we welcome you to join us...

Includes:

✓ Be a Guest Rogue on the show (Starting after 6 months of patronage)
✓ Get an exclusive SGU LUXOTIC tier t-shirt
✓ All previous levels

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »

I'm not sure how that could be taken in a way without offense.  I certainly could improve as a "podcaster," but I don't think I did terribly.  Also, are we still just ignoring the fact that there was literally zero quantum woo?  I've taken time to explain this at length in the thread already.

My criticism wasn't directed at you, but at the SGU. But if you choose to be offended, that's fine too.

I just don't believe that a seat on the podcast should be for sale.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »

LUXOTIC
You have evolved beyond mere matter, a being of pure skepticism. At this most advanced state we welcome you to join us...

Includes:

✓ All previous levels

The I first saw that, I thought it was a Joke, or maybe they'd let someone say hello in a taped message on the podcast.

Am I the only one who sees this as a fundamental issue with the integrity of the podcast?

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 06:29:24 PM »

LUXOTIC

Includes:

✓ All previous levels

The I first saw that, I thought it was a Joke, or maybe they'd let someone say hello in a taped message on the podcast.

Am I the only one who sees this as a fundamental issue with the integrity of the podcast?

(In fairness to Devin, I'm not saying he was all that bad, and they've had guests who didn't do as well.)

Offline Devin Bray

• Off to a Start
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »

I'm not sure how that could be taken in a way without offense.  I certainly could improve as a "podcaster," but I don't think I did terribly.  Also, are we still just ignoring the fact that there was literally zero quantum woo?  I've taken time to explain this at length in the thread already.

My criticism wasn't directed at you, but at the SGU. But if you choose to be offended, that's fine too.

I just don't believe that a seat on the podcast should be for sale.

Oh well, can't please them all.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:33:33 PM by Devin Bray »

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »

Yes.
Self-described nerd

personate-rain