Author Topic: Another Romaine Scare  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Another Romaine Scare
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »
If you have any romaine lettuce at home, you should throw it away, even if you have eaten some and did not get sick, the CDC cautioned.
"This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad," the CDC said in its announcement.

I was just eating some last night from a bag I bought Saturday.  But I am not taking any chances with kidney failure.  Scary.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
Re: Another Romaine Scare
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
If you have any romaine lettuce at home, you should throw it away, even if you have eaten some and did not get sick, the CDC cautioned.
"This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of precut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad," the CDC said in its announcement.

I was just eating some last night from a bag I bought Saturday.  But I am not taking any chances with kidney failure.  Scary.
Yeah, I ate a big Romaine salad for dinner last night, too - fingers crossed.  A few years ago, my son was in the hospital for 3 days with an e coli infection. We never found out where he picked it up.   
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Yikes!
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 10:48:43 PM »
I wonder how the lettuce became contaminated with the particular E. coli strain?

There’s always a risk with eating food that’s uncooked, or at least unpasteurised (as with unpasteurised milk).  People have become very sick eating apples (although how effective a brief rinsing would obviate the slight risk).

Everything is ‘contaminated’ with bacteria.  Most of the time, it doesn’t matter because the bacteria are non-pathogenic.  If the lettuce had been cooked at a sufficiently high temperature for long enough, the contamination wouldn’t have mattered.  But no one cooks salads.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück?

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »

Online bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 02:42:14 AM »
But no one cooks salads.

:)

Ah, the Chinese...  it’s incredible what they will eat.  I was bemused by finding soup offered as a breakfast option in hotel restaurants.  But I suppose it’s no more ridiculous than the western habit of breakfast cereals.  Or eating breakfast at all.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
But no one cooks salads.

:)

Ah, the Chinese...  it’s incredible what they will eat.  I was bemused by finding soup offered as a breakfast option in hotel restaurants.  But I suppose it’s no more ridiculous than the western habit of breakfast cereals.  Or eating breakfast at all.

Julia did it too, which usually means the French did it too.

This is one example but there are others https://www.cookstr.com/Vegetable-Recipes/Peas-Braised-With-Lettuce-And-Onions

The PA dutch put hot bacon dressing on lettuces which cooked and wilted them.

I'm confused as to how the entire supply of Romain in the US is suspect.  There have been many states with no illness including mine.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
It's amazing how quickly all the lettuce can be pulled off the shelves to protect people - a lot of it "just in case" - yet the FDA has to fight like hell to stop the sales of supplements that are known to be harmful or contaminated. No wonder the folks on Bizarrro World think we're the crazy ones.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
~30 people get sick, BAD ROMAINE, BADDDDD!!!!!

Children die from lack of vaccination? So what?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 02:11:18 PM »
Irradiating produce could eliminate this particular recurring issue.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
It's amazing how quickly all the lettuce can be pulled off the shelves to protect people - a lot of it "just in case" - yet the FDA has to fight like hell to stop the sales of supplements that are known to be harmful or contaminated. No wonder the folks on Bizarrro World think we're the crazy ones.

In Australia, there was a recent contamination scare with needles being found in a few punnets of strawberries from Queensland, so the entire national crop became suspect, and supermarkets were pulling strawberries from the shelves.  There were some copycat cases in other states (although there was also some suspicion that some customers were only ‘finding’ needles they’d placed themselves).

The contamination was easily detected - all that was necessary was to cut the strawberries into pieces.  The strawberry producers and supermarkets quickly made strawberries very cheap to sell them (which was very good for me - I normally don’t eat them because usually they’re too expensive, but I’ve come to enjoy them, eating 500 g a day).

If the strawberries had been contaminated with bacteria (or viruses as in a recent case of imported frozen berries from China) the contamination wouldn’t have been as easily detected, until infection had occurred in consumers, which might be days or weeks later, with many consumers in the meantime continuing to be exposed.

Irradiating food would be a very good way of preventing food borne infection.  Cooking food not so much, particularly if the cooking is inadequate in temperature or duration.  A brief heating wouldn’t be enough.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »

In Australia, there was a recent contamination scare with needles being found in a few punnets of strawberries from Queensland, so the entire national crop became suspect, and supermarkets were pulling strawberries from the shelves.  There were some copycat cases in other states (although there was also some suspicion that some customers were only ‘finding’ needles they’d placed themselves).

The contamination was easily detected - all that was necessary was to cut the strawberries into pieces.  The strawberry producers and supermarkets quickly made strawberries very cheap to sell them (which was very good for me - I normally don’t eat them because usually they’re too expensive, but I’ve come to enjoy them, eating 500 g a day).

If the strawberries had been contaminated with bacteria (or viruses as in a recent case of imported frozen berries from China) the contamination wouldn’t have been as easily detected, until infection had occurred in consumers, which might be days or weeks later, with many consumers in the meantime continuing to be exposed.

Irradiating food would be a very good way of preventing food borne infection.  Cooking food not so much, particularly if the cooking is inadequate in temperature or duration.  A brief heating wouldn’t be enough.

Those strawberries made it across the ditch, btw.  that woman charged is up for serious time.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »

Those strawberries made it across the ditch, btw.  that woman charged is up for serious time.

I hope so.  Apparently she could get 10 years gaol time.  Although, I am actually grateful to her.  If the contamination scare hadn’t dropped the price of strawberries so much, I wouldn’t have discovered that I enjoy them so much.  I’ll probably be buying them again next season at the ‘normal’ price.

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 09:16:01 PM »
I hope so.  Apparently she could get 10 years gaol time.  Although, I am actually grateful to her.  If the contamination scare hadn’t dropped the price of strawberries so much, I wouldn’t have discovered that I enjoy them so much.  I’ll probably be buying them again next season at the ‘normal’ price.
Careful! A grand conspiracy theorist might see that and start saying it was all a false-flag marketing ploy. ;) (…and the person in jail is just a patsy who worked for Big Blueberry.)

Online bachfiend

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
Careful! A grand conspiracy theorist might see that and start saying it was all a false-flag marketing ploy. ;) (…and the person in jail is just a patsy who worked for Big Blueberry.)

I’m trying to work out how it could be a false-flag marketing ploy (the strawberry growers really suffered, and I only bought strawberries initially out of sympathy).  It might be possible that the person in custody, or at least on charge, is a patsy for Big Blueberry.  Blueberries seem to be twice the price for half the quantity, so it seems to be working.   Big Blueberry might have been involved in the recent hepatitis contamination since imported frozen blueberries were implicated.

personate-rain