Author Topic: Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Gnostic Christian Bishop

• Not Enough Spare Time
Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »
Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?

Humans are the most altruistic and good of all the animal species, yet at present, our rich and powerful allow the poorest of us to starve to death by hoarding their wealth. This is unheard of in the animal world.

https://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2

Generally speaking, in ancient days the rich and powerful insured that the poor were taken care of to the best of their ability.  In the past, the rank and file demanded that the rich and powerful live up to that good altruistic trait by revolting against them. The French Revolution is a good example of this. Have the rank and file lost their altruistic and good characters by allowing the rich and powerful to let people starve to death while doing nothing?

Are the notions of liberty, equality, and fraternity dead in the world?

Is mankind at the point of losing the altruistic instincts that has made us the greatest animal that the world has ever produced?

Regards
DL

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
Generally speaking, in ancient days the rich and powerful insured that the poor were taken care of to the best of their ability.

That's a bold claim.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
It's always up to the masses to demand fair treatment, or to directly seize assets. The people with power and their own armies will take what they can, others have to stop them.

Wealth inequality is increasing because we're allowing the ideas of trickle-down and magical job creators to take hold, as if prosperity is impossible without giving the rich extremely favorable treatment. And as if they're irreplaceable. If they leave over having to pay enough tax for society to be able to pay for its services and programs, somehow no one else will know how jobs work, including the many, many people who worked in those jobs and varying levels of management.

And as if others wouldn't take advantage of the market that's opened up by those who leave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:43:22 PM by 2397 »

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »
Generally speaking, in ancient days the rich and powerful insured that the poor were taken care of to the best of their ability.

That's a bold claim.

Not really. Slavery was how they did it.

It was that or live in constant fear of thievery or worse.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
It's always up to the masses to demand fair treatment, or to directly seize assets. The people with power and their own armies will take what they can, others have to stop them.

Wealth inequality is increasing because we're allowing the ideas of trickle-down and magical job creators to take hold, as if prosperity is impossible without giving the rich extremely favorable treatment. And as if they're irreplaceable. If they leave over having to pay enough tax for society to be able to pay for its services and programs, somehow no one else will know how jobs work, including the many, many people who worked in those jobs and varying levels of management.

And as if others wouldn't take advantage of the market that's opened up by those who leave.

It would seem that the masses then have lost their altruistic quality to where we allow starvation and hardship.

You may be right as we have been asked to act by many over time but refuse.

Remember this old film.

Regards
DL

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »

That's a bold claim.

Regards
DL

Another a bold claim (that this is a moral 180 from the rich of today).
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
I am absolutely 100% certain that many of the rich and powerful would and do use slave labour today where they think they can get away with it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »

That's a bold claim.

Regards
DL

Another a bold claim (that this is a moral 180 from the rich of today).

Our governments and security forces are better than in ancient days and their gated communities protect them well.

Regards
DL

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
I am absolutely 100% certain that many of the rich and powerful would and do use slave labour today where they think they can get away with it.

They are not alone if you count the sex slaves that are known to be in every major city center in the world.

Slavery, while at the lowest per capita stats we have ever enjoyed, is still alive and well.

That is why I think slavery, as in ancient days, should be legal so that we as societies can protect slaves and have laws like we used to to protect serfs.

If we leave slavery as illegal, we leave the slaves out in the cold.

Regards
DL

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
That is why I think slavery, as in ancient days, should be legal so that we as societies can protect slaves and have laws like we used to to protect serfs.

I'm sorry, can you say that again?

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »

That's a false bold claim.

FTFY
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »

I'm sorry, can you say that again?

If slavery is illegal, only criminals will have slaves?

The problem with slavery is dealt with by banning it, and instituting reasonable minimum wages or in other ways having work authorities that inspect and ensure that workers aren't being exploited. You also have to stop using prison labor outside of rehabilitation efforts. I.e. it can't be used because it's cheap and underpaid, it can't be allowed to be invested in by private parties, because that incentivizes putting people in prison for labor.

For people unable to work or find work, there needs to be a minimum standard for what they will have access to (shelter, food, healthcare, emergency services and legal aid), so that they're not forced into crime or illegal work to survive.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:00:54 PM by 2397 »

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
"We keep slaves for their own good" is some fucking apologist bullshit, the likes of which we have not heard since the War of Secession. You oughta be ashamed.

Thinking we can't fight slavery without having it be legal is the most backwards, wrongheaded thing I've heard in 100 years.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »

Your concept of ancient slavery doesn't match anything I've ever seen, conflicts with a great deal of what I've seen.  How did you develop this impression?
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »

Your concept of ancient slavery doesn't match anything I've ever seen, conflicts with a great deal of what I've seen.  How did you develop this impression?

It's a common enough talking point used by fundamentalist Christians when attempting to explain why slavery is not condemned in the Bible. But this is the first time I've seen someone actually supporting the re-legalisation of slavery in public.

personate-rain