Author Topic: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct  (Read 9980 times)

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
'Personal experience' lends itself to self-report in much the same way that 'observed natural phenomena' does not.

edit: My answer feels incomplete.

Less Jokey Phrasing: Self-report is tacitly accepted for personal experience whereas it is not for observed phenomena.

Not sure how to unpack that further.

You're right in a way. How about self-reporting in instances of herbal drug or homeopathic remedy usage and their benefits, for example. We completely discount such claims everyday. However, self-reporting in cases like this inherently garners more credibility. Why?

Edit: I realize statistically one is far less likely to falsely report sexual assault than to tell the truth, it seems. I do wonder in the recent acceptability, support, empathy, publicity and consequence of accusations of this sort, has the percentage of false reporting grown? The occurrence of false reporting sexual assault is far from 0%, though, too. Moreover, many accusations as of late in the media and elsewhere seem to be of sexual harassment. Do we have any idea how accurate reports of that are?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:26:28 PM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2019, 08:16:37 PM »
There is not a defined physical mechanism for homeopathy to even work.  There is most certainly is a mechanism for sexual harassment to occur. 

In addition, Homeopathy has never been shown to work in observation.  Sexual harassment has been observed countless times.

The two things are in no way on equal footing, and I question the morality of someone who sets their priors on the likelihood of harassment occurring at the same level as homeopathy being real.

Why do people throw baynseian mechanics out the window when it comes to people having rights?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:39 AM »
I've been reading through this topic as well as others related to the topic of sexual assault more generally (or misconduct, what have you) more . I get and agree now with why these accusations are taken so seriously. Very thankful to you guys, really. :)  I know this thread's about Neil, but having recently come across the deal with Evan and groping... why has nothing ever been made of this more significantly than some obscure forum posts here? That seems like a really big deal in my mind. What he's accused of and the total lack of any acknowledgement at all from any of the rogues. Cara might be in the dark on this one. Pretty disturbing nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:02:50 PM by Bill K »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
It seems like NDT was making a big deal about the supposed lack of innovation by islamic mathematicians during a specific period?
This is a talking point often seen from people who have an axe to grind with muslim people and their culture.

Perhaps I am reading you wrong here, but if this is true, should it not be stated because some people with questionable motives also make those points?
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
It seems like NDT was making a big deal about the supposed lack of innovation by islamic mathematicians during a specific period?

As I recall it, Neil deGrasse Tyson praised the mathematical and astronomical achievements of the early Islamic world. Then he contrasted that progress against the scientific illiteracy that came into fashion after a fundamentalist imam rose to prominence and declared most secular concerns to be haram.

Offline haudace

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Reality under scrutiny
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »
Is this dead?

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:52 AM »
I don't believe the investigations have disclosed any findings yet. So, no, I don't think the investigation is dead, just that no updates have been given.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
The second season of Cosmos was originally scheduled to begin this past Sunday. It got quietly pulled and no new date has been reported. I wonder if it's related to the allegations (probably). I wonder how feasible it would to replace/edit out Tyson in the worst case scenario?

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »
The second season of Cosmos was originally scheduled to begin this past Sunday. It got quietly pulled and no new date has been reported. I wonder if it's related to the allegations (probably). I wonder how feasible it would to replace/edit out Tyson in the worst case scenario?

Steven Novella can fill those shoes! Probably want an astrophysicist, though...

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »
The second season of Cosmos was originally scheduled to begin this past Sunday. It got quietly pulled and no new date has been reported. I wonder if it's related to the allegations (probably).

‘Comos’ Season 2 to Miss March Premiere Date – Variety

'Cosmos' Bumped on Fox as Neil deGrasse Tyson Investigation Continues | Hollywood Reporter

“The credo at the heart of ‘Cosmos’ is to follow the evidence wherever it leads,” the producers said in a joint statement in November. “The producers of ‘Cosmos’ can do no less in this situation. We are committed to a thorough investigation of this matter and to act accordingly as soon as it is concluded.”

:(
I wonder how feasible it would to replace/edit out Tyson in the worst case scenario?

The narration would be easy. The standups would have to be reshot with someone else. Definitely feasible. But people are probably tuning in to see Tyson, can't think of any scientist as prominent with as much name recognition. Not even close.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
Cara doesn't have as much name recognition, but people would tune in if she hosted.  I think she'd be a great fit.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »
Just a quick thought. Fox more than likely would shelf the show either if the inquiry came out negative positive or has not come out at all. They don't want to be part of a shitshow and I can not blame them.

I really hope the results of the inquiry are made public. People burying unwanted info is how we got in this sad state of affairs.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
This decision would completely up to National Geographic and the program’s production company. Not Fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2019, 01:34:44 AM »
This decision would completely up to National Geographic and the program’s production company. Not Fox

The show was produced for Fox, which owns the broadcast rights to it. But even if National Geographic did have any say in it, until the sale of 21st Century Fox to Disney is completed, Fox still owns a controlling interest in the National Geographic Channel. That's why they got to air reruns of the 2014 series.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:39:54 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »

The show was produced for Fox, which owns the broadcast rights to it. But even if National Geographic did have any say in it, until the sale of 21st Century Fox to Disney is completed, Fox still owns a controlling interest in the National Geographic Channel. That's why they got to air reruns of the 2014 series.

You're right.

I was confusing Cosmos with Star Talk.