Author Topic: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct  (Read 9112 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »
This decision would completely up to National Geographic and the program’s production company. Not Fox

The show was produced for Fox, which owns the broadcast rights to it. But even if National Geographic did have any say in it, until the sale of 21st Century Fox to Disney is completed, Fox still owns a controlling interest in the National Geographic Channel. That's why they got to air reruns of the 2014 series.

You're right.

I was confusing Cosmos with Star Talk.

Doesn't make much difference; as I said, NGC is majority-owned by 21st Century Fox.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »
This decision would completely up to National Geographic and the program’s production company. Not Fox

The show was produced for Fox, which owns the broadcast rights to it. But even if National Geographic did have any say in it, until the sale of 21st Century Fox to Disney is completed, Fox still owns a controlling interest in the National Geographic Channel. That's why they got to air reruns of the 2014 series.

You're right.

I was confusing Cosmos with Star Talk.

Doesn't make much difference; as I said, NGC is majority-owned by 21st Century Fox.

The difference is that Cosmos airs on Fox (the network, which is who I was referring to) and Star Talk air on NGC (the cable channel). While both companies are majority owned by the 21st Century Fox, the conglomerate would not get involved (and would not need to get involved) in those kinds of decisions. 
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but these allegations have been public for a while now, and it was early on stated that they would be investigated. Shouldn't they have concluded something by now? It's completely silent.

NDT used to be pretty active on Twitter, but now he hasn't tweeted since February 23. That's a bit odd, and there is no note that he would take break from Twitter or anything. It doesn't have to be connected to the allegations, but it is noteworthy, I think.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but these allegations have been public for a while now, and it was early on stated that they would be investigated. Shouldn't they have concluded something by now? It's completely silent.

NDT used to be pretty active on Twitter, but now he hasn't tweeted since February 23. That's a bit odd, and there is no note that he would take break from Twitter or anything. It doesn't have to be connected to the allegations, but it is noteworthy, I think.

I believe it's being investigated by Fox and NGC. (Maybe together). It's not a criminal or official investigation of any kind.

What ever results they find will be released if and when they feel like it.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
Looks like he's back.

Offline lucek

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2019, 07:09:40 AM »
Looks like he's back.
"The investigation is complete, and we are moving forward with both StarTalk and Cosmos," Fox and Nat Geo said in a statement. "StarTalk will return to the air with the remaining 13 episodes in April on National Geographic, and both Fox and National Geographic are committed to finding an air date for Cosmos. There will be no further comment."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/neil-degrasse-tyson-cleared-nat-geo-investigation-1195140
Looks like atleast to the investigation there was evidence of wrongdoing.

Does that mean he's innocent. No. But it's better than out and out guilty. For me this is enough to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'll never look at him the same way again.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline Awatsjr

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2019, 10:33:09 AM »
He's forever tainted - right or wrong.

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Cara doesn't have as much name recognition, but people would tune in if she hosted.  I think she'd be a great fit.

I don't have any TV inputs (just a BD player and some streaming) but if Cara hosted it I'd try my best to find a way to watch. Otherwise, not really interested. I just don't expect a show geared for the general American public to have any information of interest to me. I do listen to AstronomyCast, and if Stuart ever resumes Exposing Pseudoastronomy I'll listen again, though I won't blame him if he doesn't. The crap he had to wade through to do that show must have been mind-numbing. If the original Cosmos had been on when I was a kid I'll bet I'd have loved it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2019, 12:14:56 AM »
Here is a story that goes into a lot of detail. It was updated a couple days ago:
https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/12/6/18125457/neil-degrasse-tyson-tchiya-amet-cosmos-natgeo

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43:57 AM »
Here is a story that goes into a lot of detail. It was updated a couple days ago:
https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/12/6/18125457/neil-degrasse-tyson-tchiya-amet-cosmos-natgeo

Updated, but not in a way that provides any sort of resolution. Fox and NGC have said that they have completed their investigation, but they have announced no conclusions and have merely said that he will return to the air. We have no idea whether that means they found the accusations not credible, concluded that there was insufficient evidence either way, or found evidence of wrongdoing and decided to sweep it under the rug. And, to be honest, I don't find the Fox's history in dealing with these issues merits the benefit of any sort of doubt.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
What in the hell could an 'investigation' of these kinds of claims from so long ago really uncover anyway? What steps would be taken? Even with police powers it would be somewhat for show imo.

Offline CarbShark

Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2019, 10:24:14 AM »
What in the hell could an 'investigation' of these kinds of claims from so long ago really uncover anyway? What steps would be taken? Even with police powers it would be somewhat for show imo.
Similar reports from others would be the career-ender.

By investigation it probably means they simply interviewed each of the women and maybe evaluated any other evidence they provided and then interviewed NDT.

The result could have a wide range of outcomes from false to inconclusive to true but trivial or true and serious.

Their actions could be anything from no action to firing with a referral to law enforcement.

That he’s returning to the air is probably a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »
I understand that this is what they mean by investigation.

My point is that its highly unlikely to ever uncover evidence unless the subject themselves says something incriminating. I have been involved with such workplace 'investigations' and they are a farce.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
Maybe not.

These investigations are generally run by the companies’ legal departments and they have a secondary purpose.

In addition to determining if an employee is guilty of the  accusations they are also trying to determine if the company may be liable in legal action for those claims and if keeping him on at the company would put them at risk for future claims.

They do take that seriously.

(That said, the fact that he was not fired is not an exoneration. In some cases firing could increase their liability.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
We are about to start going around in circles.

I dont need you to explain to me what an investigation is or what a companys goals may be in running one.
I am saying that being so far removed from the incident, a few interviews (assuming co-operation of all relevant persons) are not likely to uncover evidence of wrong doing even if the subject were guilty.

As you say, its more about removing liability.

personate-rain