Author Topic: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
Im a horn dog.

They are sexual assaulters.

So thats more embarrassing.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2018, 10:59:36 PM »
So HopDavid has a deep seated grudge against Tyson. He has a web page devoted to accusing NGT of all sorts of evils and has joined us to push this vilifying agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2018, 09:11:22 AM »
So HopDavid has a deep seated grudge against Tyson. He has a web page devoted to accusing NGT of all sorts of evils

All sorts of evils? Naw, I'm just accusing Tyson of being a habitual bull shitter. Nothing more, nothing less.

And most of Tyson's bull shit is harmless. But not harmless when he uses his addled memories to slam groups or individuals. Inventing histories to support your political talking points should be strongly condemned.

And I cite evidence to support my accusations. Tyson replies in the comments section of my list acknowledging some of his errors.

and has joined us to push this vilifying agenda.

I'm not really after Tyson. I am ridiculing you. This "skeptic community" should be relabeled the "credulous as fuck community".

Everyone who has been putting Tyson on a pedestal has bull shit on their bibs. I'm supposed to listen to Novella when he tells me "how to know what's really real in a world increasingly full of fake"? You "skeptics" are as credulous as Trump's birthers.

Tyson and Trump are flip sides of the same coin: an ignorant population that values entertainment and celebrity more than truth and accuracy.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
NDT has not identified as a skeptic for a long time and actively distanced himself from the community if I recall correctly (which I may not).
There are lots of reasons the skeptical community is often full of shit, but I dont think anything NDT says or does reflects on anyone but himself and anyone who decides to go to bat for him (be he right or wrong).

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
Does this board still have an ignore function? Nothing as dull as a one issue poster.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2018, 10:06:43 AM »
Does this board still have an ignore function? Nothing as dull as a one issue poster.
We do! I really miss being able to use it since I put on the mod hat.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »
In Tyson's column for Natural History Magazine as well as in his Space Chronicles Tyson wrote:

During the heat of the space race in the 1960s, the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration decided it needed a ballpoint pen to write in the zero gravity confines of its space capsules. After considerable research and development, the Astronaut Pen was developed at a cost of approximately $1 million US. The pen worked and also enjoyed some modest success as a novelty item back here on earth. The Soviet Union, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.

Ummmmm..... No.

This urban legend was debunked in a Scientific American article.

At one time both NASA and the Russian space program were using pencils. But the tips flaked and broke resulting in potentially harmful particles floating around in the weightless environment. Pencils are also flammable, something to be avoided in a spacecraft.

Pens were needed. But it wasn't NASA who financed the R&D. It was Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Company. He invested $1 million to create what we now call the space pen. According to Scientific American, none of that million dollars came from NASA.

Both NASA and the Russians bought the pens from the Fisher Pen company at $2.39 per pen.

Tyson's four sentence summary of the space pen isn't inaccurate. The way it is written can imply to some, if not most, readers NASA financed the pen's development. But no where does Tyson state that. It also seems to imply the Soviets, lacking gee wizz attitude of America, were being pragmatic and saved a lot of money using pencils.

Word to the wise: don't trust four sentence summaries of the history of any technology as accurately capturing all the nuances. Mmmm kay?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:18:08 AM by mindme »

Korean Podcast

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »

Walk an old timer through how to put him on ignore?

Korean Podcast

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
Tyson and Trump are flip sides of the same coin: an ignorant population that values entertainment and celebrity more than truth and accuracy.

Given the context, isn't (1) hyperbole tantamount to hypocrisy and (2) hypocrisy undermining of authority to indict NDT?  It also makes me wonder if you're a Limbaugh-type or some shit.

Like, Tyson's an effective science communicator whose work is slipshod. 

Whereas Trump's a kid-fucking money-launderer who's compromised by the Russians, who's wrecking our international relations, who's wrecking our economy and whose supporters live in a faith-based fictionalized reality.

Are you just going for a cheap shot or is your opinion of Trump curiously high?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »

Of course!
Go to your profile>modify profile>buddies/ignore list.

There you can add/remove usernames to your ignore list.

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
In Tyson's column for Natural History Magazine as well as in his Space Chronicles Tyson wrote:

During the heat of the space race in the 1960s, the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration decided it needed a ballpoint pen to write in the zero gravity confines of its space capsules. After considerable research and development, the Astronaut Pen was developed at a cost of approximately $1 million US. The pen worked and also enjoyed some modest success as a novelty item back here on earth. The Soviet Union, faced with the same problem, used a pencil.

Ummmmm..... No.

This urban legend was debunked in a Scientific American article.

At one time both NASA and the Russian space program were using pencils. But the tips flaked and broke resulting in potentially harmful particles floating around in the weightless environment. Pencils are also flammable, something to be avoided in a spacecraft.

Pens were needed. But it wasn't NASA who financed the R&D. It was Paul C. Fisher of the Fisher Pen Company. He invested $1 million to create what we now call the space pen. According to Scientific American, none of that million dollars came from NASA.

Both NASA and the Russians bought the pens from the Fisher Pen company at $2.39 per pen.

Tyson's four sentence summary of the space pen isn't inaccurate. The way it is written can imply to some, if not most, readers NASA financed the pen's development. But no where does Tyson state that.

Okay I'll acknowledge that Tyson's bit about space pens is possibly a poorly written and completely pointless paragraph. A stretch but remotely possible.

Now how about Tyson's Ghazali quote? About Ghazali's writings Tyson says "in there was the statement that manipulating numbers was the work of the devil...". Which is extremely unlikely.

Here's something Ghazali actually wrote:
Great indeed is the crime against religion committed by anyone who supposes that Islam is to be championed by the denial of these mathematical sciences. For the revealed law nowhere undertakes to deny or affirm these sciences, and the latter nowhere address themselves to religious matters.

After dropping that steaming pile in front of Novella and many other so called skeptics at TAM6 Tyson goes on to say "... and that cut out the kneecaps of the entire mathematical enterprise of that period...". Which is also false. There were many Islamic scientists and mathematicians in the centuries following Ghazali. Abu al-Hasan was born three centuries after Ghazali died. Hasan was the father of symbolic algebra.

In the 16th century sea routes made the overland trading routes obsolete. And so the mideast ceased to be a trading hub where diverse cultures would meet and exchange ideas. This is when Islamic innovation petered out. Not in the 12th century with Ghazali.

This false history has been uploaded many times to Youtube, posted many times to r/atheism r/exmuslim and similar groups. Self proclaimed skeptics have been pushing this story for decades. I don't see Tyson, Shermer, Novella, Krauss, Plait, Harris, or any of the TAM crowd lifting a finger to correct these falsehoods. Of course they don't. These falsehoods serve to support their agenda.

In my list I include a lot of harmless bits of misinformation Tyson has dropped. These are to demonstrate Tyson is comfortable speaking authoritatively on things he knows little about. It is revealing that you focus on one of the more inconsequential parts and ignore my major objections.

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »

Of course!

Will mindme choose to ignore evidence and arguments that challenge his beliefs?

I hope so. So many pay lip service to skepticism but don't practice it. This would be a good example.

Offline Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Of course!

Or don’t respond.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:18:42 AM by Awatsjr »

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

Will mindme choose to ignore evidence and arguments that challenge his beliefs?

No. Mindme will just ignore you.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »

Or don’t respond.
Of course!

Sometimes not being able to see something that annoys you is the better choice for ones blood pressure or mental health.
It does not necessarily mean that the source has presented some iron clad argument that you just cant refute.