Author Topic: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct  (Read 1553 times)

D4M10N and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lucek

• Off to a Start
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
If I'm to be honest I have a strong visceral desire to disbelieve thees allegations but that's exactly why we need to explore them. It is possible that this kind smart figure that we have pushed forward as a bulwark and proselytizer of the skeptical movement has some pretty bad skeletons in his closet. I wan't to believe the possibility of false memories as is Tyson's defense but if I believe what I want what kind of skeptic am I.
You have the power, but. . .
Power is just energy over time and. . .
Energy is just the ability to do work.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
Is the it a not?

Yes, it was.  Thank you for catching that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
I will let the investigation unfold and make my judgments when the facts are in.

What facts can we reasonably expect to get from non-police investigations into alleged private sexual encounters which took place several decades ago?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:23:34 AM by D4M10N »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »
I will let the investigation unfold and make my judgments when the facts are in.
What facts can we reasonably expect to get from non-police investigations into private sexual encounters which took place several decades ago?

We can get quite a few facts, actually; consider the results of CBS' private investigation of Les Moonves' conduct, which was carried out by independent lawyers and seems to have been pretty thorough. There has also been a lot of good investigative journalism surrounding similar accusations. Nor did all of the behaviors alleged take place "several decades ago"; some of them are alleged to have taken place in the summer of this year during the filming of Cosmos. I see no reason to expect that we will never have anything more to go on than one blog post and one Facebook post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:30:38 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
The latest ep of Serious Inquires Only gives me pause about the veracity of the date rape allegation but the allegations of the other two women (he was a sexually creepy boss, he made a woman feel super uncomfy at a con) don't strike me as hard to believe.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:04:57 PM by mindme »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
The latest ep of Serious Inquires Only give me pause about the veracity of the date rape allegation but the allegations of the other two women (he was a sexually creepy boss, he made a woman feel super uncomfy at a con) don't strike me as hard to believe.

I want to be clear that I am not saying that the allegations are implausible.

Online D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

Nor did all of the behaviors alleged take place "several decades ago"; some of them are alleged to have taken place in the summer of this year during the filming of Cosmos.

Wasn't asking about that part; was asking about the hitherto uninvestigated allegation of sex crime.

What sort of facts are you expecting to come out?

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
Are we next going to read about Steve being accused of sexual misconduct. .  .I am half afraid of that.
Seems like we can't have anybody that is actually nice.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
Please post here any update to this story as I am quite interested.

BTW, has there been any backlash resulting from this?
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
It has been bothering me that NDT brought up his accuser’s ties to natural medicine and other woo in his statement. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 08:07:44 AM »
It has been bothering me that NDT brought up his accuser’s ties to natural medicine and other woo in his statement. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

It does seem like a poisoning of the well. Heck, maybe she's also crazy and made it all up. Who knows. At a minimum we have a celeb that was a creepy boss to a female employee (so creepy she had to quit) and a guy who went too far at an event and made a woman feel uncomfortable. Tyson admits the latter two although spins the creepy boss story in a way that I don't find believable. Assuming no other women come forward, I think Tyson can certainly make amends. People can become huge dickwads when they achieve power and celebrity. But they can also reform and make amends.

Korean Podcast

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
People can become huge dickwads when they achieve power and celebrity. But they can also reform and make amends.

But it requires, in my opinion, that they acknowledge and take accountability for their behavior.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
People can become huge dickwads when they achieve power and celebrity. But they can also reform and make amends.

But it requires, in my opinion, that they acknowledge and take accountability for their behavior.

Indeed. Date rape, if true, I don't think is excusable. I don't think you can bounce back from that. And I would not accept you back into my community, no matter what you did. A one-off act of piggishness and a one-off creepy boss incident I think can be honestly repaired. A pattern of those behaviors (more women step forward) I don't think can be repaired. At least not for a long, long time.

Korean Podcast

Offline JohnM

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »

This may be a controversial opinion but does anyone else think we're seeing a lot of this in the sci/tech community for these reasons:

1. These communities have been lacking diversity (at least historically if not still presently) so they have not gained insight from other perspectives.

2. Sci/techies tend not to have the skill set of empathy / poor communication skills / introvert etc so can come across as awkward

3. Superiority complex. There is often an arrogance from sci & tech people (NGT often had this eg philosophy is bullshit).

I can't provide any comprehensive evidence of this but I did work in tech for 8 years and even left one team because I couldn't stand the arrogance.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
Is there more of this in tech/sci than other spaces? Im not sure...
Certainly it does seem to be a male dominated space that many women end up leaving. I always thought it was to do with good old patriarchal entitlement, but I guess people who are convinced they are right and used to using rhetoric to defend arbitrary things might be less likely to break out of this kind of thinking?

Not sure if any of that applies to NDT as he seems to be very socially adept, so for that Im going with ingrained toxic masculinity.

personate-rain
personate-rain