Author Topic: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct  (Read 9831 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Under Investigation for Sexual Misconduct
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
I repeat, it is inappropriate to derail a thread about sexual assault to push your grudge against Tyson.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2018, 12:07:03 AM »
I repeat, it is inappropriate to derail a thread about sexual assault to push your grudge against Tyson.

Although I think it does speak to the psychology of how accusation and character witness works.

Online Awatsjr

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Does this board still have an ignore function? Nothing as dull as a one issue poster.
We do! I really miss being able to use it since I put on the mod hat.

Walk an old timer through how to put him on ignore?

Or don’t respond.
Of course!
Go to your profile>modify profile>buddies/ignore list.

There you can add/remove usernames to your ignore list.
Sometimes not being able to see something that annoys you is the better choice for ones blood pressure or mental health.
It does not necessarily mean that the source has presented some iron clad argument that you just cant refute.
My post was buried in the quote -  "Or don't respond." I fixed it in the post.

There are times where I do want to just block some people that go off on a tirade but it seems easier to just not respond to them. It doesn't seem to happen a lot on this forum thankfully. Making an ignore easier would be nice either way.

Offline stretcher

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Learned it from watching you, dad
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
So HopDavid has a deep seated grudge against Tyson. He has a web page devoted to accusing NGT of all sorts of evils

All sorts of evils? Naw, I'm just accusing Tyson of being a habitual bull shitter. Nothing more, nothing less.

And most of Tyson's bull shit is harmless. But not harmless when he uses his addled memories to slam groups or individuals. Inventing histories to support your political talking points should be strongly condemned.

And I cite evidence to support my accusations. Tyson replies in the comments section of my list acknowledging some of his errors.

and has joined us to push this vilifying agenda.

I'm not really after Tyson. I am ridiculing you. This "skeptic community" should be relabeled the "credulous as fuck community".

Everyone who has been putting Tyson on a pedestal has bull shit on their bibs. I'm supposed to listen to Novella when he tells me "how to know what's really real in a world increasingly full of fake"? You "skeptics" are as credulous as Trump's birthers.

Tyson and Trump are flip sides of the same coin: an ignorant population that values entertainment and celebrity more than truth and accuracy.

You seem like a pleasant, stable person who uses their time productively and gets along well with people you've just met and do not know. I bet you have lots of friends and everyone loves you.

Offline HopDavid

• Off to a Start
    • Hop's Blog
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »

My grudge is against the pseudo skeptic community that attempts to suppress data it doesn't like. This censorship took place during the earlier scandal and the present scandal.

Earlier we saw so called skeptics actively suppressing evidence that Tyson is a source of misinformation.

Now we are seeing "skeptics" actively trying to suppress allegations of sexual misconduct against Tyson. A much less successful attempt this time around as the super market tabloids have picked up on this scandal.

Novella knows that Tyson has made up the history he has used to support his cautionary tales against religion. These stories have benefited the skeptic community and have been often repeated. Will the community own up to these errors? Will Novella and friends work to correct the misinformation they've helped spread?

No. Novella will remain quiet about these screw ups. And he will continue to endorse Tyson.

The SGU community is not honest.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »

My grudge is against the pseudo skeptic community that attempts to suppress data it doesn't like. This censorship took place during the earlier scandal and the present scandal.

Earlier we saw so called skeptics actively suppressing evidence that Tyson is a source of misinformation.

Now we are seeing "skeptics" actively trying to suppress allegations of sexual misconduct against Tyson. A much less successful attempt this time around as the super market tabloids have picked up on this scandal.

Novella knows that Tyson has made up the history he has used to support his cautionary tales against religion. These stories have benefited the skeptic community and have been often repeated. Will the community own up to these errors? Will Novella and friends work to correct the misinformation they've helped spread?

No. Novella will remain quiet about these screw ups. And he will continue to endorse Tyson.

The SGU community is not honest.

The SGU is not anti-religious. Neither is most of the Skeptical community, including this forum. We respect other's beliefs (except where it tries to push into areas it has no place. Education, science, politics etc)
Yes there is a portion of the skeptic community that is anti-religious.

From what I've seen of NDT is not anti-religious either. He just complains (like most science lovers, skeptic and atheists) when religion crosses over into areas it has no place.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
And, again, it’s not appropriate to make this about you and your grudges.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
It sure didn't take long to see what horse Dave rides.  She has a beef with NDT treatment of Islam.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »
It sure didn't take long to see what horse Dave rides.  She has a beef with NDT treatment of Islam.
Im not sure I fully understand this bit.

It seems like NDT was making a big deal about the supposed lack of innovation by islamic mathematicians during a specific period?
This is a talking point often seen from people who have an axe to grind with muslim people and their culture.
So I can get someone being pissed off if they think he has contributed to that?
Its one of the reasons Sam Harris has fallen so far in my estimation despite my being quite excited by his material when I first came across it.

But am I completely misreading that particular part of this thread?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
I am not saying I agree with NDT, but it is telling to me that the OP docuses so much on this issue.  NDT has fucked up other things too.  Dave speaks a lot by what he chooses to  talk about.  It tells me that Dave is another evangellical, here to tell us how to live a life he couldn't give two shits about.

I could be wrong, but for right now, this seems to be how many of these threads spin out.  The OPs of these threads just can't keep their savior in their pants for very long at all.  They can't help it, and pretty soon they are rubbing their dong of religiosity on anyone who come near.

Maybe I'll be pleasently surprised.

Anyway.  Davey, a word if I may.  Most athiest's relationships with celebrities are not like your "relationship" with your sky daddy.  It is not one of worship, and we can agree or disagree with a person's opinion as we see fit.  Your claim that everyone here agrees 100% with "but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of" NDT is so far out of the balllpark.  It not even wrong, just orthagonal to reality.  Grok that, and you might be able to have a discussion here about the plusses and minuses of NDT, instead of your babble down you nose to people who see right through you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:55:39 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »
I too am generally side eyed at people who come in and make join a random thread without engaging with the community.
And I generally roll my eyes at people who insist we pull the whole car over to focus on one irrelevant point.
I guess thats just one issue I didnt immediately see an issue with.

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:04 AM »
I'm under the impression that the plural of anecdote doesn't constitute empirical evidence. Why is it in relation to sexual misconduct allegations that evidence aside from testimony is unnecessary to reach conclusions? I'm asking genuinely. If this were any other claim (i.e. "my friends and I saw bigfoot") not many folks here would even bat an eye.

Edit:

Please do not misconstrue what I am saying to mean I assert the accusers here are liars.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:29:57 AM by Bill K »
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »
'Personal experience' lends itself to self-report in much the same way that 'observed natural phenomena' does not.

edit: My answer feels incomplete.

Less Jokey Phrasing: Self-report is tacitly accepted for personal experience whereas it is not for observed phenomena.

Not sure how to unpack that further.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:32:08 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
If I can ask, we are still basically where we were?

The two incidents of what would be considered "Inappropriate Behavior," he acknowledged and apologized for?
The incident of rape he is not acknowledging although is not really attacking the woman involved? 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline D4M10N

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
If I can ask, we are still basically where we were?

The two incidents of what would be considered "Inappropriate Behavior," he acknowledged and apologized for?
The incident of rape he is not acknowledging although is not really attacking the woman involved?
Yes, this is roughly where we are.

Tyson acknowledged being rather enthused about a solar system tattoo, and we have to judge whether it somehow pertains to an accusation of sex crime.

personate-rain