Author Topic: Episode #699  (Read 2541 times)

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Re: Episode #699
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Hey isranner, how about some original content? I might be more interested in your take than in Muller's. Which, frankly, isn't saying much.

Hey, Isranner, that was a great post. Thanks.

I take it you object to my asking him for his thoughts rather than the regurgipost that all his posts seem to be so far.

Nothing wrong with posting links to content. (Although I make no comment on the content itself).

Indeed there isn't. But when it is done exclusive of any original thought, it's annoying af and thus the term regurgiposting.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:38:21 PM by gebobs »

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Hey isranner, how about some original content? I might be more interested in your take than in Muller's. Which, frankly, isn't saying much.

I take it you object to my asking him for his thoughts rather than the regurgipost that all his posts seem to be so far.

Nothing wrong with posting links to content. (Although I make no comment on the content itself).

Indeed there isn't. But when it is done exclusive of any original thought, it's annoying af and thus the term regurgiposting.

You may find it annoying. Others don't.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »

When I choose to speak for everyone, I'll let you know. Until then, let me be clear just so you aren't confused, my opinions are my own and no one else's.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:42:34 PM by gebobs »

Online CarbShark

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 02:47:20 PM »

When I choose to speak for everyone, I'll let you know. Until then, let me be clear just so you aren't confused, my opinions are my own and no one else's.

Fine.  And let me be clear, any time you pounce on a fairly new member with your own highly subjective gripes about otherwise fine and decent posts I'm going to respond to the new user appropriately.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 03:02:03 PM »

Fine.  And let me be clear, any time you pounce on a fairly new member with your own highly subjective gripes about otherwise fine and decent posts I'm going to respond to the new user appropriately.

Pounce? Is that what I did? I pounced? Well, line me up and knock me over with a pubic hair because I had no idea!

So how long before this guy gets off carbshark protection because he's been here for a 1-1/2 years. But I definitely appreciate you continuing to let me know when I "pounce" because I'm not even clear what that means in the context of so many posts by you and others around here.

Jesus haploid christ...the sanctimony around here gets thick at times.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:06:59 PM by gebobs »

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
At any rate, carb...you said it was a great post and then went on to say that you "make no comment on the content itself". Sounds like you had an ax to grind today and for some reason you chose to grind it on me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:58:01 PM by gebobs »

Online CarbShark

Episode #699
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
At any rate, carb...you said it was a great post and then went on to say that you "make no comment on the content itself". Sounds like you had an ax to grind today and for some reason you chose to grind it on me.

I believe we should be welcoming to new users. There are plenty of skeptics here (myself included) who paste links and quotes to interesting pages with no comment or editorializing.  I will grind that particular ax on any day, on you or anyone else.

I still don't know why that form of posting bothers you, but it's perfectly within the forum guidelines and practices. As is my reaction to you pouncing on the relatively new user.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:44:35 AM by CarbShark »

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
FWIW (and speaking just for myself) I’m not going to click on a link unless there’s some indication of what’s behind the link and at least a summary of the argument presented in the link. Better yet is a representative quote to give me an idea of the thesis and the tone. Best of all is a summary of the argument and a short quote.

I’ll usually just scroll past huge blocks of cut-and-paste.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline BTS

• Off to a Start
  • No Longer Participating
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
One by product of global warming, beyond warmer temperatures, is more extreme weather. That means more severe hurricanes, longer more severe tornado seasons, more snowfall in some areas, more rain in some, longer and more severe droughts in other  places.

Nowhere have I seen a scientific report predicting fewer deaths from cold.

What we will see, and are already just starting to see,  is more deaths from extreme weather. 

https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/05/cold-weather-more-lethal-than-hot-spells-says-study/

This study not only suggests that Cold causes more deaths than heat, but also that it is not extreme cold but moderately cold days that account for most of the deaths.  My suspicion is that moderately cold days are just far more frequent than extreme cold days to account for the data.

This study does not predict any effect of global warming on mortality. 

Your comment that you haven't seen data on cold deaths is precisely my point, there appears to be a bias to identifying and reporting harm and not investigating possible benefits (like enhanced plant growth with higher nutrient level in the air).

Sounds to me like you're claiming "Since they haven't reported this benefit they haven't studied it." The reality is that they have studied it and haven't found this benefit.

The data on severe weather is mixed at best.  I have seen graphs that show Accumulated Cyclone Energy over the past 50 years being basically the same.  The ocean levels have been rising for a long time at a pretty constant rate, with little apparent acceleration with recent warming.

Citation please. It's well documented that extreme weather events will increase in severity and frequency as a result of global warming.

https://skepticalscience.com/extreme-weather-global-warming.htm

Let's be clear that I don't consider this an aha, see I found a counter example so warming won't be bad.  Just a plea to acknowledge the complexity of the issue and not be so stone lock sure that we know the full impact and a positive economic response to the problem.

I'll repeat what I've said numerous times. If anything, scientists and researchers are being overly conservative in their reports on the full effect of global warming. Including its impact on extreme weather.

In other words it's worse.

Not sure what you mean by a positive economic response to the problem. What's a positive economic response to a series of massive hurricanes in densely populated areas?

I was commenting on the fact that Steve mentioned that Extreme hot weather was a bad consequence of Global Warming, an assertion that appeared to be accepted without question.  It is pretty unreasonable to expect that every study has to be somehow referenced to AGW or it doesn't apply. 

Your assertion that scientists are being overly conservative is based on ?? 

My point is that there are pluses and minuses to both global warming AND the proposed public remedy.  Far fewer people in the US die during severe weather events than in India due to our affluence, other negative impacts are also reduced due to our affluence.  Indians want to enjoy the same increase in living standard (and weather resilience), which they point out that we in the west accomplished with cheap energy and consumed most of the supposed carbon budget for the earth, and now we expect them to hold back.  I certainly support R&D into finding a better energy source that is economical and CO2 free, like Nuclear power could be with a common sense regulatory policy. 

Here is the Accumulated Cyclone Energy citation, assuming that NOAA is an acceptable source:
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/climateindices/corr.pl?tstype1=46&custname1=&custtitle1=&tstype2=0&custname2=&custtitle2=&year1=&year2=&itypea=0&y1=&y2=&plotstyle=0&length=&lag=&iall=0&iseas=1&mon1=0&mon2=11&Submit=Calculate+Results

I don't see any trend for the past 70 years.  I get the reasoning, CO2 up, Temperature up, Ocean Energy for Hurricanes up, more Hurricanes bad.  Turns out the reality is substantially more complicated than just temperature.

However, even if I were to accept your assertion that extreme weather events are increasing, your comment on there being no positive impact to hurricanes is beside the point....this is not the ONLY impact there is, and there are many unknown impacts, especially of something like a large carbon tax which whose burden will fall disproportionately on the poor, even in the US.

Here is the tornado count for 2018, almost a minimum - of course I continue to stipulate that one example isn't proof of anything.  Just another reminder that the data is not uniformly pointing in one direction.
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/adj.html

Just because you understand the concepts of motivated reasoning and confirmation bias does not mean that you, or even scientists are immune to it.  We all have our short comings.  Again my plea for a little intellectual humility, the earth's climate and world's economy are extremely complicated. 

Offline Bytor

• Brand New
  • A boring yet skeptical computer geek
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
Pronounced "shlee-mahn", not "shly-mahn". Oh, so so grating. Arrrgh!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
They can be terrible at correctly pronouncing names, can't they? I actually cringed at the "He" mispronunciation in the live show. Here in Australia, embedded in Asian culture as we are, I think pretty much everyone knows that the Chinese name He is pronounced somewhere between "huh" and "her". I guess there aren't so many Chinese people in Connecticut.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Bytor

• Brand New
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
Steve is usually pretty good a that. Jay is the really bad one.

Offline Bytor

• Brand New
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
You know you're catching up on podcasts when the complaint you just made in the forum is addressed in the very next one you just started listening too.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
They can be terrible at correctly pronouncing names, can't they? I actually cringed at the "He" mispronunciation in the live show. Here in Australia, embedded in Asian culture as we are, I think pretty much everyone knows that the Chinese name He is pronounced somewhere between "huh" and "her". I guess there aren't so many Chinese people in Connecticut.
Help is available,

http://www.ctchinese.org/

http://web.ccsu.edu/ci/

Offline daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 03:32:32 PM »
Some sounds are just very difficult to pronounce, depending on your native language. Many languages have sounds that many others don’t. Some English speakers cannot even make the sounds in Spanish, and vice versa. There’s no way the average American is going to come close to pronouncing Chinese names correctly.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain