Author Topic: Cold laser therapy  (Read 284 times)

Offline RaisyDaisy

• Brand New
Cold laser therapy
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
My wife has inflamed muscles in her neck caused by multiple bulging disks .

She's previously visited a massage therapist and a physiotherapist and her  insurance money has run out on them and has now visited a (clears throat) a "Chiropractor" a few times.

The chiropractic wants to do cold laser therapy on her neck and shoulder.

Is this some bull crap gimick or actually used to help muscles.

My wife read it "Stimulates Healing" and I became suspicious.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Cold laser therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:01:49 AM »
I love questions like this!

It does seem to be bunk:
http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2010/05/cold-laser-therapy/

While this is a veterinary blog, it does explain why the mechanism of action is bunk and provide a good overview of the data.
If you think a placebo effect might help, I recommend something cheap like aspirin or a regular anti inflammatory. Real medicine has a placebo effect too.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Cold laser therapy
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
To a first assumption, anything a chiropractor offers to do will be bunk. Chiropractic is based on "curing" all ailments, from back pain to ear infections, by eliminating a non-existent "defect" ("subluxations") in the spine. There's no such thing as a "subluxation." When Consumer Reports showed x-rays to a bunch of chiropractors and asked them to point out the "subluxations," no two pointed to the same spot on any given x-ray.

The entire field of chiropractic is bunk. So while it is possible that a chiropractor might offer a legitimate therapy, it is so rare that a good policy is to reject anything a chiropractor offers to do.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck