Author Topic: Recommendation for movie podcast  (Read 307 times)

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
Recommendation for movie podcast
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
For a long time I've been recommending Filmspotting as my podcast for movies.  But the fact is, while it's great for in-depth talk about movies past and present, I don't actually listen to it so much.  It's just too long, too involved beyond the depth I really need and tends to lean a bit too artsy for my taste in its recommendations.  I live in Taiwan and don't watch TV, so a lot of times I have no idea what's coming out, so I really do need a movie podcast... but I'd like something a bit briefer and more mainstream.
Journalist: "Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?"
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Recommendation for movie podcast
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
BBC's Kermode and Mayo film reviews, aka. The Church of Wittertainment is the best one I can recommend. It has very good film reviews and some of the best interviews, with the added benefit of two middle-aged men squabbling like a married couple.

BTW, hello to Jason Isaacs.

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
BBC's Kermode and Mayo film reviews, aka. The Church of Wittertainment is the best one I can recommend.

Thanks I'll check that out right away!
Cigarette industry executive: "No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements."

Offline mrhall

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
This isn't strictly a movie podcast, it's more of a general pop culture podcast but I like "Fighting in the War Room".  The sister podcast is actually what I'm most interested "Storm of Spoilers" which is a game of thrones podcast.  Didn't listen to it until the show caught up to the book so there's not really any spoilers anymore.  The banter between the hosts is very charming.

Offline Vay

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 05:52:17 AM »
BBC's Kermode and Mayo film reviews, aka. The Church of Wittertainment is the best one I can recommend. It has very good film reviews and some of the best interviews, with the added benefit of two middle-aged men squabbling like a married couple.

Uh... their interaction is entertaining, but... I listened for 24 minutes and still hadn't heard anything related to movie reviews!  Is it always like this?  I want something to turn me onto good movies to watch, succinctly lol

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 05:55:45 AM »

Uh... their interaction is entertaining, but... I listened for 24 minutes and still hadn't heard anything related to movie reviews!  Is it always like this?  I want something to turn me onto good movies to watch, succinctly lol

They will get to it after a while, you can skip the long beginning.

It is part of the flavour, but it may not be for everyone. The show has been going on for over a decade, they have a huge fandom and there is a huge number of in-jokes and a lot of correspondence to get through before they get to the actual movies. The first 30 minutes isn't too often movie-related. It is usually followed by an interview and then the reviews.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
I've been listening to Movie Crush. The main episodes are a relatively long conversation about life with someone in he movie industry, followed by a discussion of a particular movie. Sometimes it's stars and actors. This week it's a set dresser on Stranger Things. It's usually pretty engaging. Mid week they have a chat between the host (Chuck Bryant) and the producer (Noel Brown) where they do a lot of fan service. I find the Mini Crush episodes more enjoyable, and the longer episodes more interesting.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online BilLumberg

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
I have been listening to http://www.moviebs.com/ for years. Just a couple guys who review the new movies each week. Fun show,and episodes are usually less than an hour. Sound quality does tend to vary a bit though, mainly the intro will be very low so wait till they start talking to adjust the volume.

Another fun one is https://www.80sallover.com/podcast/. Was a teen in the '80s so this is a fun nostalgic show for me.

personate-rain