Author Topic: EVENT CANCELLED: "Carbon fee and nuclear power"  (Read 349 times)

Offline hardindr

• Off to a Start
EVENT CANCELLED: "Carbon fee and nuclear power"
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:54:59 AM »
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.  WE LOOK TO BRING BACK THE SPEAKER AT A LATER DATE THIS YEAR.  SORRY FOR DISAPPOINTING EVERYONE.

"Carbon fee and nuclear power: The Batman and Robin of fighting climate change"

Presentation by Ethan Bodnaruk

Sponsored by CNY Skeptics

Time: Wednesday, January 16, 2018, 7:00 PM EST

Where: Manlius Library, One Arkie Albanese Ave, Manlius, NY, 13104, USA

Event is Free and Open to the Public

Light refreshments will be served

Please contact 1-315-636-6533 or email info@cnyskeptics.org for more information

Presentation Summary:

We are in danger of missing a crucial window of action to limit the negative effects of climate change.  Popular calls for 100% renewable energy can mislead and distract from two necessary and underrepresented solutions: a carbon fee and nuclear power.  We’ll dive into the facts and numbers on these solutions, why they are needed, and how we can advocate for the bipartisan (!) Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act (HR 7173) which was introduced in the House of Representatives in November 2018. 

Presenter Bio:

Ethan Bodnaruk is a wastewater engineer with Master's degrees in nuclear engineering and ecological engineering.  He is an active member of Citizens' Climate Lobby, a non-partisan organization whose aim is to build the political will for Congress to pass a revenue neutral carbon fee to mitigate climate change.  He is an advocate for open and transparent public discussion of science, policy, and current events.  He considers himself a Christian Atheist and is working on a book about the synthesis of science and spirituality for the 21st century.  He blogs at www.ethanbodnaruk.com.

Central New York Skeptics (CNY Skeptics) is a community organization dedicated to the promotion of science and reason, the investigation of paranormal and fringe-science claims, and the improvement of standards for science education and critical-thinking skills.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:39:13 PM by hardindr »

Offline Gigabyte

• Off to a Start
  • If you believe ...
Somebody should probably inform them that Batman and Robin are a fiction.  Totally unrealistic characters who not only operated outside the law, but used violence and unrealistic methods to fight foes who also were made up.
I don't understand some things

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Seems like a poor analogy to me. Robin was Batman's sidekick. Nuclear power is not the sidekick of a carbon fee, or vice versa. If anything, nuclear power is a stopgap until we can achieve 100% renewable energy. Renewable energy is the superhero.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline hardindr

• Off to a Start
Corrected date
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
Please note that the correct date for this event is January 16, 2019.

If people are interested in hearing the talk, it will be available on the CNY Skeptics website within a week of the talk.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Corrected date
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:41 PM »
Please note that the correct date for this event is January 16, 2019.

If people are interested in hearing the talk, it will be available on the CNY Skeptics website within a week of the talk.

Would you provide a link here.  I'd really appreciate it!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline hardindr

• Off to a Start
Unfortunately, this event has been cancelled because the speaker had a conflict at the last minute and had to pull out.  We plan on having him back later this year to do his talk.  I have asked the moderator to delete this post. I am sorry for the confusion.

personate-rain