Author Topic: Tom Cruise PSA on motion smoothing  (Read 357 times)

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
Tom Cruise PSA on motion smoothing
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
Tom Cruise just put out an excellent PSA on motion smoothing and why its a problem.  This was unexpected. I'm very happy he put this out there.

Sorry there is no you tube link that I could find.

https://twitter.com/tomcruise/status/1070071781757616128

I would like to add that you should also turn off "noise reduction" and the dreaded "eco mode" Go back through your settings every time to make sure the new setting did not reapply any changes you just turned off in the menu. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:57:09 PM by Captain Video »
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
Re: Tom Cruise PSA on motion smoothing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:03:43 AM »
I've honestly watched the videos with side-by-side comparisons and I can't really see a difference at full speed.  Of course, my eyes are old man's eyes and I'm watching through transition bifocals so it could just be me.

On the other hand, I hate with a serious passion the noise reduction "feature".

I did used to have a TV that had some kind of leveling feature that tried to brighten up darker scenes and darken down light scenes.  That annoyed me to no end.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
I've honestly watched the videos with side-by-side comparisons and I can't really see a difference at full speed.  Of course, my eyes are old man's eyes and I'm watching through transition bifocals so it could just be me.

On the other hand, I hate with a serious passion the noise reduction "feature".

I did used to have a TV that had some kind of leveling feature that tried to brighten up darker scenes and darken down light scenes.  That annoyed me to no end.

Did the side by side footage include a 24 frame shot film?  It wont be noticeable in all scenes either, action scenes in particular are effected.

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »
Dunno for sure, I wasn't listening to the audio, just playing the video here at work.  It's just one I found on Youtube that was supposed to show the differences.  There was a motocross rider doing a jump over something or another.  When they slowed down the video it was clear what the differences were, but at full speed they looked basically the same.

That being said, my monitor at home is much nicer than these I have at work (two monitors and a laptop screen), and I could probably fullscreen the video, which might have an effect.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:09 AM »
Dunno for sure, I wasn't listening to the audio, just playing the video here at work.  It's just one I found on Youtube that was supposed to show the differences.  There was a motocross rider doing a jump over something or another.  When they slowed down the video it was clear what the differences were, but at full speed they looked basically the same.

That being said, my monitor at home is much nicer than these I have at work (two monitors and a laptop screen), and I could probably fullscreen the video, which might have an effect.

I dont think you are getting an accurate representation from a youtube video.  Nor playing it on a computer monitor which is different than a TV.

There is no standard for smoothing (part of what they are trying to get changed) so each brands TV could be different. The best way to see it would be to turn it on and off on a large screen TV while watching some action from a film. This goes for TV shows too as most TV is shot like film these days.

On the other hand it may make football and other live events look better (matter of opinion) I dont watch sports so mine is off at all times. 

I think "Game mode" on newer TVs shuts it off for a faster display but also changes the color settings which may not be optimal for a film.

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
I might have to fiddle with my TV at home this weekend then.  Everything I watch is streamed through my Roku, so I'll have to find some action film on Netflix or Hulu or something. 

I also don't watch sports anymore, so it wouldn't make a difference to me.  I honestly don't even watch many action films.  I do stream TV shows with fits and spurts of action (just finished Jack Ryan on Amazon last night).

The only settings I played with on my current TV (LG...I think) when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago was aspect ratio and sound.  It's not a 4K TV or anything nice, just a 65" 1080p model.
--Stephen Hawking

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Just to clarify because for some reason the video is not playing for me, is this talking about turn off technologies that reduce motion blur?  Is it advocating to watch everything at 60 Hz with no interpolation or backlight filtering?  If so, that's how I've always set up my own TVs (indeed, I don't own one with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz).
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
Just to clarify because for some reason the video is not playing for me, is this talking about turn off technologies that reduce motion blur?  Is it advocating to watch everything at 60 Hz with no interpolation or backlight filtering?  If so, that's how I've always set up my own TVs (indeed, I don't own one with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz).

Cracked covered the story, the video mite play off of their site but it is the same embedded twitter video.  You have it covered already. The PSA is cool as well as the reach out to manufactures to start shipping with this setting off and make it easier to find in the menu.

http://www.cracked.com/article_26081_tom-cruise-has-just-made-most-important-psa-ever.html

Coming from the set of the upcoming Top Gun sequel (boy, it's going to be hard defending movies as important art after that line), Tom Cruise and his screenwriting Goose Christopher McQuarrie have released a tongue-in-cheek public service announcement. In it, they warn people against the harmful effects of motion interpolation, or why your Netflix movies look like they were filmed by the same people who make The Real Housewives Of Butte, Montana

Motion interpolation, often marketed as motion smoothing, is the process whereby your fancy new TV creates false frames in your moving pictures in order to remove motion blur. Now, that's great if you're watching an ESPN clip show of the NBA's greatest nut shots. But if you're viewing anything else from a cinematic perspective, motion blurring creates the dreaded "soap opera effect," making movies and shows look like they were shot on video like unaesthetic soap operas, reality shows, or, ugh, the news.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 03:46:24 PM »
"I'm Tom Cruise, and I've taken a break from flogging treasonous SP's in filthy broom closets to talk to you about the soap opera effect." 

Online Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise crazy.  Just be glad it's him, not you.
--Stephen Hawking

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:41 PM »
Tom cruise is a nut job, but I fully support his motion blur message.  I almost took a TV back a couple of years ago because all movies looked like soap operas.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but Tom Cruise made me feel validated about my confusion.   :D
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
I think it's just a matter of which kind of media we're used to seeing in which context, and our long-held viewer biases.

Decades of viewing experience have conditioned our brains to associate higher frame rates with video instead of film, and we've been culturally conditioned to regard the "small screen" as a "cheap" or "lesser" form of art than the cinema.

I'd just as soon try to acclimatize myself to the higher frame rates and slough off the notion that TV and video are inherently inferior media.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
I think it's just a matter of which kind of media we're used to seeing in which context, and our long-held viewer biases.

Decades of viewing experience have conditioned our brains to associate higher frame rates with video instead of film, and we've been culturally conditioned to regard the "small screen" as a "cheap" or "lesser" form of art than the cinema.

I'd just as soon try to acclimatize myself to the higher frame rates and slough off the notion that TV and video are inherently inferior media.

That is what I thought before it happened to me.  It's not just that it is a different style.  The effect makes me think I'm in the room with the actors and crew while they make a movie rather than in the audience watching a story unfold.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
I've experienced it too. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother other people.

I also noticed that when turning off motion smoothing on a 120Hz TV, the "judder" artifact comes into play during panning shots. I find that much more jarring than the "soap opera effect."

personate-rain