Author Topic: Episode #710  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Episode #710
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2019, 02:50:53 PM »
And FWIW, I believe that war is never justified. War is nothing but mass murder. The only difference between war and terrorism is that when governments do it they call it war, and when someone not part of a government's military does it, then people call it terrorism. But they're the same thing.

This is a bit absolutist, don't you think? War might be hard to justify, but not impossible, IMO.

I think the declaration of war by the UK and France against Nazi Germany was justified. I think the UN-authorized intervention that prevented North Korea from annexing South Korea was justified. I think the military interventions in Yugoslavia that stopped genocide and ethnic cleansing were justified. I think the first Gulf War to kick out Saddam Hussein from Quwait was justified. I think the US-led intervention in Syria and Iraq to destroy IS was justified. I would have considered military intervention to prevent the Rwandan Genocide to be justified. Too bad it never happened.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »
And FWIW, I believe that war is never justified. War is nothing but mass murder. The only difference between war and terrorism is that when governments do it they call it war, and when someone not part of a government's military does it, then people call it terrorism. But they're the same thing.

This is a bit absolutist, don't you think? War might be hard to justify, but not impossible, IMO.

I think the declaration of war by the UK and France against Nazi Germany was justified. I think the UN-authorized intervention that prevented North Korea from annexing South Korea was justified. I think the military interventions in Yugoslavia that stopped genocide and ethnic cleansing were justified. I think the first Gulf War to kick out Saddam Hussein from Quwait was justified. I think the US-led intervention in Syria and Iraq to destroy IS was justified. I would have considered military intervention to prevent the Rwandan Genocide to be justified. Too bad it never happened.

Yes, my position on war is absolutist. And I'm aware that nearly everyone will disagree with me. But there are a few of us who oppose all war. In my lifetime, the U.S. has demonstrated its willingness, even eagerness, to invade other countries and kill their civilians in order to steal their wealth. So even if you disagree with my absolutist position, you should want more Americans to hold it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »

Yes, my position on war is absolutist. And I'm aware that nearly everyone will disagree with me. But there are a few of us who oppose all war. In my lifetime, the U.S. has demonstrated its willingness, even eagerness, to invade other countries and kill their civilians in order to steal their wealth. So even if you disagree with my absolutist position, you should want more Americans to hold it.

I do disagree with your position, and I don't wish that more people held it. But I respect that you stand by it, even in the face of almost universal opposition, and your self-awareness that nearly everyone will disagree with you also indicates a bit of self-reflection on your part. So cheers! :cheers:
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56:23 AM »
Did LEGO fund the LEGO study? Presumably they would be the only ones to benefit if the public responded to the information by buying a lot more LEGO, only to have many more people to compete with when reselling it.

Offline BlackGriffen

• Off to a Start
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
Deleted: sorry,  wrong episode.  :-[
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:14:23 AM by BlackGriffen »

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
On the “gravity battery”...

The whole concept seemed needlessly complex, in an almost Rube Goldberg sort of way.

Why not a single, huge block of concrete lifted by some sort of low-friction block-and-tackle arrangement? Then lowered to run a generator to recover the stored energy? That needless complexity with “Legos” and cranes struck me immediately, and I was surprised none of the rogues thought of that.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
On the “gravity battery”...

The whole concept seemed needlessly complex, in an almost Rube Goldberg sort of way.

Why not a single, huge block of concrete lifted by some sort of low-friction block-and-tackle arrangement? Then lowered to run a generator to recover the stored energy? That needless complexity with “Legos” and cranes struck me immediately, and I was surprised none of the rogues thought of that.

Well, smaller blocks of heavy are easier to deal with than one gibilarhunormous block of heavy. Still, I'd think you'd be better off doing something like building a lake that can be drained into an existing strip or pit mine to generate power.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2019, 06:28:51 PM »

Well, smaller blocks of heavy are easier to deal with than one gibilarhunormous block of heavy. Still, I'd think you'd be better off doing something like building a lake that can be drained into an existing strip or pit mine to generate power.

I suppose, but a single giant block, maybe lifted by one or more screw jacks, wouldn’t have to be unimaginably difficult.

As far as space utilization, one could give it a flat upper surface, which could serve other uses. Maybe a solar farm array or heavy equipment storage or parking or a runway or whatever. Heavy enough and it would not have to be lifted far to store and then release energy.

Anyway, the whole LEGO/crane thing still seems unnecessary to me.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2019, 07:13:16 PM »
No arguement on the Rube Goldberg aspect. I'm not sure how you'd get power out of the screws - but I'm sure suitably creative engineering could solve that. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain