Author Topic: Episode #700  (Read 25708 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #700
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 08:02:42 PM »
The human race is a cancer. It’s not that people are bad or evil (with notable individual exceptions). It’s just that we reproduce out of control, which is the definition of cancer. My solution would be to sterilize everybody and allow the world return to the Eden it was before we came along.

The worst possible outcome would be if we metastasized to other worlds and stars. Fortunately I don’t believe that this is a technological possibility, no matter what the Star Trek fans say.

You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

--Max Ehrmann

The next sentence reads ‘Therefore be at peace with God.’  There’s no God, so the poem’s nonsense.  Like the trees and the stars we also can go extinct too.  There are no rights in the universe.  It’s indifferent.

Some people can't take a joke
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:12 PM »
The next sentence reads ‘Therefore be at peace with God.’  There’s no God, so the poem’s nonsense.

Load of rubbish. By that argument everything written by Bach is nonsense. The quoted portion of the passage expresses a sentiment that is valid regardless of what follows.
Self-described nerd.

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
The next sentence reads ‘Therefore be at peace with God.’  There’s no God, so the poem’s nonsense.

Load of rubbish. By that argument everything written by Bach is nonsense. The quoted portion of the passage expresses a sentiment that is valid regardless of what follows.

Well, the entire poem is rubbish.  It’s expressing a touchy-feely spiritual viewpoint of the universe, which is just indifferent to the Sun, the Earth, let alone us.    We can go extinct,and no one else in the universe would miss us.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »

Well, the entire poem is rubbish.  It’s expressing a touchy-feely spiritual viewpoint of the universe, which is just indifferent to the Sun, the Earth, let alone us.    We can go extinct,and no one else in the universe would miss us.

Which is probably why CarbShark chose to quote just a small portion of it - the bit that they thought relevant.
Self-described nerd.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »

Well played, arthwollipot, well played.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »

Which is probably why CarbShark chose to quote just a small portion of it - the bit that they thought relevant.

Since when is CarbShark plural so as to need the ‘-the bit that they thought relevant?’  Perhaps he’s like the Gerasene  demons?

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2018, 09:02:58 PM »

Plus, there's that whole thing "no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here"  Well, if rights aren't a thing, then you have no more or no less right to be here than any tree or star. And take that a little further the human race then is not a cancer but a part of the universe, the same merit or lack thereof of any tree or star.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »

Since when is CarbShark plural so as to need the ‘-the bit that they thought relevant?’  Perhaps he’s like the Gerasene  demons?

Dude, you just got owned by arthwollipot, and now you're lashing out.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

Plus, there's that whole thing "no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here"  Well, if rights aren't a thing, then you have no more or no less right to be here than any tree or star. And take that a little further the human race then is not a cancer but a part of the universe, the same merit or lack thereof of any tree or star.

OK, humans have equal rights as trees or stars to be in the universe, none.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »

Nope, I’m laughing at him for not using the correct personal pronoun.  I regard such grammatical errors to be a sign of low intelligence.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2018, 09:14:24 PM »

Nope, I’m laughing at him for not using the correct personal pronoun.  I regard such grammatical errors to be a sign of low intelligence.

I was using the singular they as I do not, in fact, know CarbShark's preferred pronoun. I am trying to develop the habit of using gender-neutral pronouns by default.
Self-described nerd.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »

I was using the singular they as I do not, in fact, know CarbShark's preferred pronoun. I am trying to develop the habit of using gender-neutral pronouns by default.

You could have written ‘he or she,’ or ‘(s)he,’ or just simply ‘he.’  Being fluent in German with its three genders - masculine, feminine and neuter, which have nothing to do with sex (das Mädchen - the girl - is neuter and takes ‘es’ - it - as a personal pronoun, and ‘sein’ - his or its - as the possessive pronoun, I’m perfectly comfortable with ‘he’ as the standard fallback.

You’re certaining trying in using a plural pronoun to replace a singular subject.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2018, 10:04:33 PM »

Got it. One more thing you're wrong about.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2018, 10:11:14 PM »

You could have written ‘he or she,’ or ‘(s)he,’ or just simply ‘he.’  Being fluent in German with its three genders - masculine, feminine and neuter, which have nothing to do with sex (das Mädchen - the girl - is neuter and takes ‘es’ - it - as a personal pronoun, and ‘sein’ - his or its - as the possessive pronoun, I’m perfectly comfortable with ‘he’ as the standard fallback.

You’re certaining trying in using a plural pronoun to replace a singular subject.

"They" is a valid singular pronoun and has been since the 14th Century. You've probably used it yourself.

"There's someone at the door!"
"What do they want?"

And no, I am absolutely against using the masculine pronoun as a default, and you should be too.
Self-described nerd.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:46 PM »
I'm not that bothered about what other people do, but I also try to be gender neutral as a default. Because it's more universally applicable, and gender is ultimately irrelevant in most discussions anyway.