Author Topic: Episode #700  (Read 25081 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #700
« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2019, 04:14:27 pm »
When you start pronouncing “ghoti” as “fish” I will consider pronouncing kilometer like millimeter.

Pronunciation guide for “ghoti”:
enough
women
attention

English pronunciation is not based on logic. If anything, it requires the abandonment of logic.

J.K. Rowling, being, I believe, an English teacher by profession, has very good writing style. She’s just not that great a storyteller. I will have to take your word for it that the German translations of her books are better than the English. I’ve not read any of her books published under the name of Robert Galbraith. I did enjoy the movie version of Fantastic Beasts, but that’s mainly because Eddie Redmayne is such a good actor, and the rest of the cast was excellent as well.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2019, 04:42:02 pm »
Thank Malcolm Turnbull for that.  Perhaps Scott ‘stop the boats’ Morrison in desperation might change it?  Although, if you don’t have enough superannuation, it mightn’t help.  I know a lot of people who think they’re going to have to work till they die.  Who have unrealistic expectations as to how much money they need for a comfortable retirement.

I'll be happy if I have 500K in my super by retirement. The claims (made by financial experts) of needing 1.5 million are ridiculous and are based on being fully self funded and living off investment returns.

Do we really have major differences?  Besides the really, really, really important ones, such as the AFL team to support?  (Come on the Eagles).

Go Tiges  ;D

Offline bachfiend

• Not Any Kind of Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2019, 04:43:55 pm »
When you start pronouncing “ghoti” as “fish” I will consider pronouncing kilometer like millimeter.

Pronunciation guide for “ghoti”:
enough
women
attention

English pronunciation is not based on logic. If anything, it requires the abandonment of logic.

J.K. Rowling, being, I believe, an English teacher by profession, has very good writing style. She’s just not that great a storyteller. I will have to take your word for it that the German translations of her books are better than the English. I’ve not read any of her books published under the name of Robert Galbraith. I did enjoy the movie version of Fantastic Beasts, but that’s mainly because Eddie Redmayne is such a good actor, and the rest of the cast was excellent as well.

Actually, I wrote that the German translations of Dan Brown are better than the originals, not JK Rowling.  Dan Brown is a terrible story teller.  You can tell how bad a novel is going to be by whether the plot is obviously ridiculous by the end of the first chapter or the first page (his Australian rival Matthew Reilly manages to do that on the first page).

Basically, the plots of Harry Potter are ridiculous.  There many forms of transport, for example, which are introduced into each novel only for reasons of the storyline.  If you were able to dematerialise and instantly appear elsewhere, why wouldn’t you?

I thought the last ‘Fantastic Beasts’ (the screenplay being written by JK Rowling) was absolutely terrible.  It was just backstory with no real story or plot.  I was bored to tears.  I actually got out a book to read in the cinema.

JK Rowling is more concerned with personal relationships.  Writing as Robert Galbraith, she spends a lot of space trying to get into the minds of her characters.  Although, perhaps I should have used ‘they’ instead of ‘she,’ since she’s he’s they’re transgender.
Gebt ihr ihr ihr Buch zurück

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 15, 2019, 04:55:08 pm »
Do we really have major differences?  Besides the really, really, really important ones, such as the AFL team to support?  (Come on the Eagles).

Go Tiges  ;D

Carn the Pies!

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 15, 2019, 04:55:27 pm »
Thank Malcolm Turnbull for that.  Perhaps Scott ‘stop the boats’ Morrison in desperation might change it?  Although, if you don’t have enough superannuation, it mightn’t help.  I know a lot of people who think they’re going to have to work till they die.  Who have unrealistic expectations as to how much money they need for a comfortable retirement.

I'll be happy if I have 500K in my super by retirement. The claims (made by financial experts) of needing 1.5 million are ridiculous and are based on being fully self funded and living off investment returns.

Go Tiges  ;D

Golly, I didn’t know you were that delusional.  I was shocked when they won their last premiership ending a decades long history of failure.  I once went to see a Sydney Swans versus Richmond match at the SCG when I was in Sydney decades ago for a conference.  It was memorable mainly for the errors both teams made, including a Swans and a Tiger player leaving the ground not through the interchange area, and as a result not being able to come on again.  Actually, I’m reminded that I should be worried yet again about my memory.  I can clearly remember what happened decades ago, but I’d forgotten that the Eagles stole won the last premiership by 5 points last September.  I’d thought it was 2 points.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 15, 2019, 05:05:25 pm »
I was shocked when they won their last premiership ending a decades long history of failure.

Not as shocked as me. I was resigned to the fact that I'd die never seeing another premiership after their last when I was just 18, in 1980.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 15, 2019, 05:08:42 pm »
I was shocked when they won their last premiership ending a decades long history of failure.

Not as shocked as me. I was resigned to the fact that I'd die never seeing another premiership after their last when I was just 18, in 1980.

And when did I say the Tiges looked really good that year? Preseason?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 15, 2019, 05:37:56 pm »

And when did I say the Tiges looked really good that year? Preseason?

Yes, you did  8)

But us Tiger fans are used to the Tigers finding ways of grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory  ;)

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 15, 2019, 06:47:17 pm »

I thought the last ‘Fantastic Beasts’ (the screenplay being written by JK Rowling) was absolutely terrible. ...

... Although, perhaps I should have used ‘they’ instead of ‘she,’ since she’s he’s they’re transgender.

Is there more than one “Fantastic Beasts”? If so, I’m thinking of the first one.

I didn’t know that J.K. Rowling is transgender. Note that not every trans person wants to be called “they.” Some (maybe most?) consider themselves to be either male or female (just not the one on their birth certificate) and want to have the appropriate pronoun used for them. But there are people who consider themselves to be neither male nor female.

Respect involves listening to people, not just making assumptions.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 15, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »

I thought the last ‘Fantastic Beasts’ (the screenplay being written by JK Rowling) was absolutely terrible. ...

... Although, perhaps I should have used ‘they’ instead of ‘she,’ since she’s he’s they’re transgender.

Is there more than one “Fantastic Beasts”? If so, I’m thinking of the first one.

I didn’t know that J.K. Rowling is transgender. Note that not every trans person wants to be called “they.” Some (maybe most?) consider themselves to be either male or female (just not the one on their birth certificate) and want to have the appropriate pronoun used for them. But there are people who consider themselves to be neither male nor female.

Respect involves listening to people, not just making assumptions.

It was actually tongue in cheek.  When JK Rowling set out to write her adult books starting with ‘Casual Vacancy’ (which I loved) she wrote it under the name Robert Galbraith, thinking that she’d been typecast as a children’s writer.  She also used ‘JK’ instead of ‘Joanne K’ thinking that boys wouldn’t read female authors.

It didn’t actually work.  One of her very loyal readers quickly realised, and publicised the fact, which is the reason why I read it.  But she is ‘transgender.’  She’s female, but became a male, wanting to be judged as a male.

I’m quite happy to call transgender persons whatever pronoun they want, provided it’s ‘he’ or ‘she.’  I’m not happy with ‘they.’  If a non-gendered 3rd person singular pronoun is considered necessary, then one should be devised.  There are bigger problems, including bullying.  From my German perspective, English pronouns are a very, very minor issue.  Transgender and non-binary gender persons face much greater difficulties.

There are two films in ‘the Fantastic Beasts’ series.  Hopefully, the 3rd will be better.

My sister sent me this link this morning.  Enjoy:

Sigh... they don’t write songs like that anymore.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 15, 2019, 07:48:50 pm »
Writing books using a male (or at least gender neutral) pseudonym is not being transgender. Not even close.

It is sad that female authors and/or their publishers feel it will sell more books.

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 15, 2019, 08:01:22 pm »
Writing books using a male (or at least gender neutral) pseudonym is not being transgender. Not even close.

It is sad that female authors and/or their publishers feel it will sell more books.

It is sad.  And unnecessary.  I seek out female writers.  They provide a perspective I sometimes wouldn’t have considered.  I’m not bothered by people changing their gender identity.  I don’t feel threatened by it.  But I do feel threatened by people insisting that i use ‘they’ as a singular pronoun.  It offends my old fartedness pedantry.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:10 am »

^This.

Concealing your gender in order to get a job or sell your works is not being transgender. A transgender person is someone whose gender is other than the one normally identified with the physiology they were born with. And while some transgender people feel that they are male or female (and may choose to use “he” or “she” pronouns) others feel they are neither male nor female, and for them both “he” and “she” pronouns are offensive and hurtful.

What you (Bachfiend) are saying is that you will respect the wishes of the first group, but will not respect the wishes of the second group because that would offend your sense of grammatical correctness. A sense rooted in a specific time period, which is slipping into the past and being replaced by a new grammar for the present time period, likely to continue for a generation until it, too, becomes archaic and is replaced.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 16, 2019, 10:59:47 am »
If you release the same book under (only) a male name and (only) a female name, with synonymous titles, how long until people catch on?

Offline bachfiend

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 16, 2019, 02:13:38 pm »
If you release the same book under (only) a male name and (only) a female name, with synonymous titles, how long until people catch on?

JK Rowling issued her Harry Potter books under JK Rowling, and her adult books starting with ‘a Casual Vacancy’ under Robert Galbraith.  Her very loyal readers quickly realised that based on writing style Robert Galbraith was actually a pen name for JK Rowling.  She’s continued to us the Robert Galbraith pen name with the 4 books (so far) in the Cormoran Strike series.  She released different books under different names.