Author Topic: Training/Certification  (Read 338 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Training/Certification
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
As I think I've mentioned before, I've sort of inherited some additional responsibilities at my place of work, including serving as a de facto sysadmin (we have an independent contractor who handles infrastructure stuff, but I'm dealing with the day-to-day issues).  We have a domain controller for accounts, Google Apps for email, a Windows file server, HP switches, a Fortigate firewall, and an Aruba WiFi network.  I've been doing this for a couple of years, now, and learning a lot on-the-job, but I'm still really weak in network stuff (routing tables, etc.) and I'm looking to get some professional development in the area. I've got a couple of questions for those who are more in the know:

What kind of classes should I be looking into?
Is it worth getting certified in anything? If so, what?
How portable will any skills I learn be?
What sort of time commitment should I expect?

And of course what else should I know that I haven't asked about?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:56:18 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Training/Certification
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »
I can comment on classes.

At my local community college,
  • Networking I, II → CCENT
  • Networking III, IV → CCNA
The texts are composed of test objectives and Routing & Switching general concepts.  I expect this is typical. 

If you can set-up a lab environment, you can probably self-train using any CCNA-oriented training materials.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
I think it all depends on what your long term goals are? There are a bunch of networking classes that will go over routing tables/ subnets and all that. Even security+ goes into it if you ever wanted to get more into network security. If its more of curiosity and not something you will use all the time, just find an app or web site to do the conversions. In larger organizations people who do networking will just work on routers and switches and running cables. For me it's much more interesting to work on the servers. If you are doing general system admin work and like it, would recommend focusing more the server side of things. In my opinion it's more interesting work. If you are looking for an IT job not all places require certs, some will still hire on experience that you are building at your current job.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »
My primary goal right now is to understand networking in a way that will help me to troubleshoot issues as they arise, to better understand best practices, and generally to be able to do my job better.  As I mentioned, currently we have a contractor who handles the routers and switches as well as telephony and security. He also installed the WiFi system and set up the directory server and file server.  I manage our FMP server, the AD server and Samba share, the WiFi networks, printers, workstations, etc. I'd like to be able to take over more of the management of the firewall, to create and change subnets without waiting for the contractor, etc.

A secondary goal is to build a skill that I can use as a fallback.  The private education market is struggling, and I don't know what it will look like five years from now.  Also, education is notorious for burnout and I've been teaching for 17 years, now.  Again, this is a secondary consideration, but if I can get my employer to pay to build transferrable skills it makes sense to me.

Moj, you mentioned Security+, which seems to cover more of the stuff I want to know than Cisco's networking certifications (and in a less vendor-specific way). Is that something worth pursuing?

Also note that certification is not necessarily my goal, but seems like a good way to make sure that I cover all of the essentials in my studies (and most courses and materials seem to be targeted at certification, anyway).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:01:18 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »
Yes, I think security+ worth knowing. Even getting a study guide book is a great resource/ reference material. If you do get the cert it will open a lot of doors. DOD won't hire anyone in IT who doesn't have it, or may be required to get the cert soon after taking the job. It covers a lot of interesting things that should, but aren't always common knowledge in IT.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »
Reading more about it, I think Security+ covers most of the areas I feel weak in.  I think I might grab a study guide and read through it, then decide if I want to ask my employer to pay for an online training course over the summer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:31:31 PM by The Latinist »

personate-rain