Author Topic: Will A.I replace most if not all of our jobs?  (Read 3988 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Will A.I replace most if not all of our jobs?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
Here's another article.

According to the authors,

Non-routine jobs which need human problem solving, creativity, adaptability, flexibility, physical dexterity, and communication skills will be the jobs of the future.

So will jobs requiring physical proximity and interpersonal skills. Examples include engineering, design, construction, education, health services and care work.

Also,

Almost two-thirds of employment growth is projected to be in four sectors: health care and social assistance; construction; education and training; and professional, scientific and technical services. Jobs will exist for people with the skills to fill those jobs.

New jobs are projected to be created across a range of occupations. Aged and disabled care, registered nursing, child care, software and applications programming, and waiting are the top five areas of growth.

So I'm in the right industry then, being in a problem-solving, interpersonal-communicating, technical service job. I'm safe.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Morticia Addams was elegaunt.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
The problem is that as time goes to infinity..the percent of jobs a computer will be able to do goes to 100.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
The problem is that as time goes to infinity..the percent of jobs a computer will be able to do goes to 100.

I don't think that there's much evidence for that.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
Do you think there's aspects of human consciousness which can't be replicated by software?
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
Do you think there's aspects of human consciousness which can't be replicated by software?

Yes, I do, but I don't think that's relevant to the question as I don't think intelligence is impossible without them. Anyway, there is no such thing as infinite time.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »

Yes, I do

I think that's an extraordinary claim. Could you elaborate?
Mooohn!

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:29 AM »
Saaame.

In general...
  • Biology is chemistry organized
  • Psychology is biology organized
Organization → Information

There exists information which creates life, creates consciousness.  Computers can do information. 

I see no reason to set a boundary between 'what a person is' and 'what a computer can do'

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
There are, I believe, some things that computers will never be able to do. But there will be a diminishing number of people who rely on services that require humans. And at some point, the Corporation that eventually owns everything will decide that that number is too small to be profitable to service, and will fire the last human workers because the profit they produce is smaller than the wages they are being paid.

Human workers will have become obsolete and unnecessary to the economy.

It won't be "intelligent" machines that take over. It will be the Corporation that decides human workers are unnecessary. At that point, if you don't own enough shares of the Corporation to live off your dividends, you will be left to starve. The last to go will be people in the underground economy servicing the private needs of stockholders, but eventually even they will be replaced.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »
I think some people have too firm an opinion on this sort of stuff.  Singularity, AI taking over, etc.  I rate all of it as "plausible but not inevitable".
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
There are [...] some things that computers will never be able to do.

Said the (meat-based) computer.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
Saaame.

In general...
  • Biology is chemistry organized
  • Psychology is biology organized
Organization → Information

There exists information which creates life, creates consciousness.  Computers can do information. 

I see no reason to set a boundary between 'what a person is' and 'what a computer can do'

Well, unless you're not allowing for computer development in terms of parallelization and such (which I do think we will need more of), but that just seems silly given the developments in the GPU world especially in recent years.
Mooohn!

Online daniel1948

• Isn’t a
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »

The comparison of people, or of the human brain, to computers is entirely misguided. Brains work nothing like computers, and vice versa. There are a few tasks that both brains and computers can accomplish, but what our brains do is entirely, totally, completely different than what computers do. The processes are completely different, the strengths and weaknesses are completely different, and any notion of any similarity is purely in the realm of sci-fi/fantasy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »

The comparison of people, or of the human brain, to computers is entirely misguided. Brains work nothing like computers, and vice versa. There are a few tasks that both brains and computers can accomplish, but what our brains do is entirely, totally, completely different than what computers do. The processes are completely different, the strengths and weaknesses are completely different, and any notion of any similarity is purely in the realm of sci-fi/fantasy.

Of course your current desktop works differently than a brain, but once we understand brains better, we will be able to make computers that work the same way as a brain.  Is there something about a brain that prevents us from modeling it in software and hardware other than that we just don't understand it enough right now?
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »

Where I'd diverge from this reasoning is that a computer doesn't need to look today's computers.

For example, neural networks.  Neural Networks can be their own Turing Complete system and they're based off a rudimentary model of a neuron.  A while back, I read a thing about, "linear threshold units:"

A researcher modeled neurons as those.  Integer inputs from the left.  The neuron sums inputs.  When a threshold is reached, (1) output (threshold) value to the right and (2) retain remainder in neuron.

The researcher showed that a sufficiently large number of those could form a Turing Complete system!  At the time, this was a big deal. 

For example, mechanical computers:

Recommended Snippet: 5:32 - 7:35

Even if the brain is some kind of completely batshit electrochemical mechanical computer, you could still replicate it through computers.  Even if you end up having to add biological components to do it, which I would not consider cheating.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »
I actually worked a job as it was being replaced by advances in technology. Yuk.

For most jobs that are being automated the challenge is not getting the computers to think like humans, it's much simpler (yet still no small task).

The challenges are getting high quality sensory information in a useable way to the processor and having the processor correctly intemperate the data.

These do not require human intelligence.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:23:19 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain
personate-rain