Author Topic: Phones listening?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Phones listening?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
Don’t know about Android, but on the iPhone all apps have to ask for permission to use the microphone, and there is a bar at the top of the screen if they are using it when not foregrounded.
We give the same permission. I sometimes get notifications from whatsapp that it accessed the microphone. It never says why or for how long.

I’ve never had a banner for microphone use that wasn’t associated with an application I was actively using audio on (Skype, etc.).
I dont get a banner. Just a message after the fact. Often when I take the phone out of my pocket.

Maybe time to look into going back to iphone.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
My wife has a kindle, and I’m always very wary of the permissions apps ask for.  Apple gets apps to make sure they’re asking only for permissions they need, which results in far fewer requests, but it seems to be common practice for Android apps, however simple, to request every possible permission.

I’ve got four apps that can access my microphone, including Google Maps and Skype. Facebook and Facebook Messenger cannot.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
But given the recent issues they and google have had, Im also not inclined to take their word for it when they say they dont do something.

Like I said, lying to consumers and investigators and Congress is really illegal. If you can actually catch them in such a blatant and baldfaced lie, I'm sure you could settle for millions of dollars.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 06:33:21 PM »
But given the recent issues they and google have had, Im also not inclined to take their word for it when they say they dont do something.

Like I said, lying to consumers and investigators and Congress is really illegal. If you can actually catch them in such a blatant and baldfaced lie, I'm sure you could settle for millions of dollars.
Oh yeah. Like when the banks did that.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »

Oh yeah. Like when the banks did that.

Yeah. Like that.

Personally I don't believe that large multibillion dollar companies are in the business of blatant lies. I think it's just bad business practice. As such, I believe Facebook when they say they don't listen in on your conversations without your permission. I am also absolutely convinced that they don't need to. Even if we haven't managed yet to hit on to the real explanation for your situation, that still does not convince me that Facebook needs to listen in in order to do what you have described. In fact, I'd be surprised if we were able to guess correctly. Furthermore, you can track and examine the data your phone sends, and see for yourself if it includes sound data. I have not to date heard of an example where it has.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
There's plenty of evidence that corporations will lie if the risks are low enough and the consequences are less than the expected profits from lying.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
There's plenty of evidence that corporations will lie if the risks are low enough and the consequences are less than the expected profits from lying.

Point granted. But I don't think they are, for the reasons I have already explained. They don't need to. Why put yourself at risk when you don't need to?

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »

Point granted. But I don't think they are, for the reasons I have already explained. They don't need to. Why put yourself at risk when you don't need to?
Profit.
No one NEEDS profit after a certain point and yet here we are, working more hours for less money than recent generations so billionaires can become multi billionaires.

You are applying your own logic to people who clearly have very different values and priorities to you.
And failing all that- Sometimes business or organisations dont act rationally or make good decisions.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »

Profit.
No one NEEDS profit after a certain point and yet here we are, working more hours for less money than recent generations so billionaires can become multi billionaires.

You are applying your own logic to people who clearly have very different values and priorities to you.
And failing all that- Sometimes business or organisations dont act rationally or make good decisions.

Right, again, point granted. But lying to Congress is a huuuuge risk. I don't think Zuck is that stupid or malicious.

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »

Profit.

Right, again, point granted. But lying to Congress is a huuuuge risk. I don't think Zuck is that stupid or malicious.
And, I believe quite easy to detect. At least easier to figure out than the Volswagon Incident. 
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself, Facebook is evil.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »

Which is completely unlike, oh, every other multibillion dollar company on the planet.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »

Which is completely unlike, oh, every other multibillion dollar company on the planet.

They all want to make money, but Mark Zuckerberg would grind up puppies into slop and inject them into the public water supply if he thought it would increase profits by a penny a share.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »

They all want to make money, but Mark Zuckerberg would grind up puppies into slop and inject them into the public water supply if he thought it would increase profits by a penny a share.

Uh-huh. Okay.

personate-rain