Author Topic: Skeptics Guide Book Questions?  (Read 451 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Skeptics Guide Book Questions?
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »
I ordered a copy of the book which I would like to send to my brother.
Going to be close but hopefully I can get it to him in time.

I have some questions though
1. My brother is a nominal Catholic - Meaning that his wife is Catholic so he is Catholic although he is not anti-abortion, have very conservative values, etc. I would describe him as not super liberal but more or less moderately religious
Does the book directly attack religion? I don't want to anger him.
2. I don't know how much he reads but am curious how it reads? It is an easy read? I know it is relatively long.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
Re: Skeptics Guide Book Questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
I ordered a copy of the book which I would like to send to my brother.
Going to be close but hopefully I can get it to him in time.

I have some questions though
1. My brother is a nominal Catholic - Meaning that his wife is Catholic so he is Catholic although he is not anti-abortion, have very conservative values, etc. I would describe him as not super liberal but more or less moderately religious
Does the book directly attack religion? I don't want to anger him.
2. I don't know how much he reads but am curious how it reads? It is an easy read? I know it is relatively long.

I'm only about half way through so take it for what it's worth.

1. Not at all. The book has five main sections: Core Concepts, Adventures in Skepticism, Skepticism in the Media, Death by Pseudoscience, and Changing Yourself and the World. The only allusion to religion so far I think has been a brief mention of Peter Popov.

2. Given the subject matter, I think the material is quite accessible. I don't know how much the others contributed but so far it seems to be mostly written by Steve.

I gave a copy to my brother as well. I sent it to his Kindle so he got it instantaneously. Big bro is, like me, a scientist and an atheist so I'm sure it will be well received. The section I want him to read about is the one on the Placebo Effect, or as it is properly entitled by Steve: Placebo Effects...plural. My brother still has the common misconception that there is some placebo effect that is essentially mind over matter. Steve clears that up quite well in my opinion. The one thing I wish he would have mentioned is that placebo effects cannot be attributed to the intervention which is why they are the zero baseline. Otherwise, he nailed it.

personate-rain