Author Topic: Correlation implies causation? Possible? Plausible?  (Read 335 times)

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Correlation implies causation? Possible? Plausible?
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »
I’ve provided a definition for ‘imply’ which has ‘suggest’ included
And I already explained that suggesting something is a logical consequence (which the definition said) is not the same as suggesting something is true (which you keep insisting).

And ‘possible’ and ‘plausible’ are synonyms.
Here, I'll let some folks explain it to you like you're five.

If you want to continue this discussion on the meaning of words, then start a new thread.
Alternatively, if you don't want to continue it, then don't continue it...

Stay on topic.  Start a new thread if you want to continue your pointless quibbling about the mean of words (and it’s not possible nor plausible that Clooney could be the next American President).

Redirecting a semantic discussion to its own thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Correlation implies causation? Possible? Plausible?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:17:42 PM »
Oh, this'll be fun.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Orbem consistite ut escendam!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Correlation implies causation? Possible? Plausible?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
A great example of equivocation.  The word imply has a different meaning in the context of formal logic than it does in informal speech.  In the former it refers to being a necessary logical consequence; in the latter it means merely to suggest a possible or likely fact. People use the formal logical definition in non-formal contexts to argue that correlation is not even suggestive, which is simply not true.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain